Didn't expect this response…. and how to answer/counter it. - Page 3

Didn't expect this response…. and how to answer/counter it.

This is a discussion on Didn't expect this response…. and how to answer/counter it. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Encourage her, get her accustomed to them and safe with them and if she still wants to get her permit, good for her. My comment ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Didn't expect this response…. and how to answer/counter it.

Encourage her, get her accustomed to them and safe with them and if she still wants to get her permit, good for her.

My comment to people that wonder why I carry ect. is simple and straight forward. I simply ask them why they leave their spare tire in the trunk of their car. Chances are they will never need it, so they should simply take it out to save weight in the car and make better use of the space. If they ever have a flat, they can call someone to help them out and get them a new tire.

Usually their responses are, well no that would be stupid to leave the spare in the garage or whatever, it needs to be in the car. I simply say, that is exactly why I keep my gun on me every day, because if the rare chance comes along that I need it, it won't be at home in the safe. I tell them when they are willing to consider chucking their spare tire, I will consider not carrying a gun.

They usually don't have any serious response after that type of interaction.

The movies deal, well I don't consider that a serious argument, so I probably wouldn't even engage in that. Heck I watched Transformers last night, really do we need to consider what is happening in movies when making decisions. Although the cars and girl was ok to look at.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    My comment to people that wonder why I carry ect. is simple and straight forward. I simply ask them why they leave their spare tire in the trunk of their car. Chances are they will never need it, so they should simply take it out to save weight in the car and make better use of the space. If they ever have a flat, they can call someone to help them out and get them a new tire.
    While I agree with your comments and I like the spare tire example, you might want to have alternative examples just in case. Some cars today use run-flat tires and do not come with spare. Perhaps the fire extinguisher in the kitchen could be used.

With regard to the OP, as others have suggested politely ask her how many times has she seen activities in the movies that she knows are not realistic (especially as she has gained more knowledge of reality being around you).
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

My mother-in-law and sister-in-law both know I carry all the time (where legal) and are not opposed to it or to guns. But my wife informed me that even they thought the police should have shot the kid, who had the BB-gun that looked like a real gun and pointed it at them, in the arm or in the leg like they do on TV rather than killing him!!! My wife said she straightened them out about "reality" in short order! (My wife has her concealed carry license as well). It amazes me how many otherwise intelligent individuals believe the crap they see on TV or in movies!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

"Oh God! He turned the gun sideways! It's a killshot! It's a killshot!"
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I was CCW'iing an Officer's ACP on the first date I had with my wife. It didn't bother her at all, even though she didn't come form a gun family.

We've been married 23 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Or fire a 1911 with the hammer down.
    I am glad to know I am not the ONLY ONE who notices this type of crap,,,
    the movie makers just throw that junk out there ALL THE TIME.

Why didn't they just WOUND the BG,s crowd is not dealing with a full deck.
    You wound him,,,, he kills YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    While I agree with your comments and I like the spare tire example, you might want to have alternative examples just in case. Some cars today use run-flat tires and do not come with spare. Perhaps the fire extinguisher in the kitchen could be used.
    If they respond they don't have a spare tire, I will simply say, don't call me when you need one. I go so far as to put a full sized spare in any vehicle I own where one will fit. You can't be over prepared. I know lots of folks who don't have fire extinquishers in their kitchens, can't figure them out either.
    babarock likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Sounds like your girlfriend is a person of contradicitons. She likes the shooting aspect and all that, but firearms need to be in their place because of the useless information she sees "in the movies."

There is a lady who attends church where I do and the subject of firearms and shooting came up. She is probably about as anti fiream as they come, her dad was in the Army which surprised me, but in jest, I asked her to go to the range the next time my wife and I went.

To my surprise, she said she would like that, but first wanted to know everything there is to know about handguns, how they work, how you break them down what types of caliber etc before she ever pulled the trigger on one.

Yet, she is a person of contradictions, she believes it's ok to have a firearm, but cannot understand why. There are lots of people like that in the world.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I am blessed with a wife who likes gun as much, if not more than I do. (I hear about some of you guys having to hide new gun purchases from your wives, my wife has hidden new gun purchases from ME, how's that for cool?) She carries an XD40 sub compact every day.

To the OP, it sounds like what you have there is a great gal to me. She initially told you she didn't want to see the gun or know you were carrying it. She wasn't completely anti-carry, just didn't want to know about it. You talked to her calmly and explained why you carry and she listened! This is the hallmark of a a rational person. She actually listened and considered your side of it and now, she is on board with carrying and wants to do so herself.

Do yourself a favor my friend. Latch onto this woman and never let her go. She is a true individual. She saw the movies and she did base her opinions on them but, she saw through the anti-gun BS in them once she met you. She has a fully functional mind and she thinks with it. I think you two would be very happy together.

I wish you good luck. My wife and I are on the same page in every way and we have been married for almost 23 years now. We have never had a big fight. We rarely even get upset at each other. People still tell us we seem like newlyweds. I wish nothing but that level of happiness for you both. Good luck to the both of you!
    DC, JoJoGunn, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I always know that I'm safe and can blissfully go about my business until that eerie music starts playing. When that happens, it's my cue to be alert to my surroundings.
    Um, you mean I'm not supposed to be hearing it all the time?

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    Um, you mean I'm not supposed to be hearing it all the time?
    One man's eerie music is another man's Barry Manilow
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

One of my favorites is when the gg has a gun on the villan, usually each pointing a gun at the other. Gg says drop it a few time bg has witty response blah blah blah. Now gg is getting serious so they now rack a round into the chamber...really just pointing a gun as a bluff? Do you think the bg is on an empty chamber too?

By the way, now that she knows you carry are you telling her your moving south soon?

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I know lots of folks who don't have fire extinquishers in their kitchens, can't figure them out either.
    It is technically in the adjacent dining room I hope that is oK…
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    and she listened! This is the hallmark of a a rational person. She actually listened and considered your side of it
    This is also the hallmark of someone you can have a relationship with long term period!
    9MMare and TN_Mike like this.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post
    One of my favorites is when the gg has a gun on the villan, usually each pointing a gun at the other. Gg says drop it a few time bg has witty response blah blah blah. Now gg is getting serious so they now rack a round into the chamber...really just pointing a gun as a bluff? Do you think the bg is on an empty chamber too?

By the way, now that she knows you carry are you telling her your moving south soon?
    That is kind of a part i left out, yes actually i have told her, and she is all for it, she wants to go down that way as well. She wants to go back to school, and where i am moving is the Mountian Home, AR area. For those who dont know, one of Arkansas campuses are there. So it kinda falls in perfect. And rencently talking she wants to wait to get her license till we get down that way. And as some of you have mentioned, telling her i carry amd discussing firearms with her has brought us closer together. So thank you!

Oh and in some movies i love it when the GG/BG fires a Semi-auto and the gun shows flash goes BANG! but the slide dont move.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links