Didn't expect this response…. and how to answer/counter it.

This is a discussion on Didn't expect this response…. and how to answer/counter it. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So i have been seeing this girl for a little over 2 months. We have gone to the range together numerous times. She loves my ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Didn't expect this response…. and how to answer/counter it.

Didn't expect this response…. and how to answer/counter it.

So i have been seeing this girl for a little over 2 months. We have gone to the range together numerous times. She loves my array of firearms, and has fun with them. What she didn't know was that everytime we shot, she was shooting my EDC. After the range i always made sure to reholster when she wouldnt see, IWB. She stays over regularly now, and I finially disclosed that i carry. Her response was, really why? I explained for a while about why carrying would be a good reason. She never had no objection to it, but said don't let me see it. I said ok, and might I ask why you don't want to see it though? Her response was, "People who have guns, especially hidden ones scare me. I have see the movies."

At first, I was stumped. I didn't know how to respond. So i started with the trainning ive had with firearms. From when I was a child, to military school, to joining the army, to my CCW classes. Finally, she swung around and said that she is happy that i carry, and she wants to start. She wants me to help her with her training. She understands that i can not be the one who certifies the trainning, but i would be there by her side in anything she needed. So in the end, it was an amazing turn out.

The point of the post though, is the fact that she said, "I have seen the movies". That is when it dawned that, its not just the news, and anti's exploiting us, but the movies too. Now, i understand that people who base life off of all movies are being ignorant, but made me wonder, how many people base their opinions not off the news, but the entertainment business. Just something to reflet on. I will chalk this one up as a learning lesson on how to handle this situation, but it really shouldn't need to be even talked about.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    You'd be suprised at how many people base their opinions on what they saw in the movies.

I remember when "DieHard" came out and Bruce Willis stated that the Glock was the preffered weapon of terrorists because they were made of plastic and could pass through a metal detector. You wouldnt beleive the conversations that came out of that...even some of the News Media was duped, thinking it to be the truth rather than a fabrication.

Lots of people still think that lead and copper plated bullets spark when they hit steel because most of the movies and TV flicks that you see show bullets sparking all over the place.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If movies are to be believed, no one carries with a round chambered. They have to rack the slide before you know they mean business.

I like it when they make the hammer cock sound for the Glocks.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Or fire a 1911 with the hammer down.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Or when one hit from a (pick your caliber) handgun not only knocks the victim back many feet, but always makes for an immediate, one-shot kill.
    msgt/ret, Secret Spuk and TN_Mike like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Senior Moderator
    Oh wow.. SOOOOO MANY people base their knowledge off of what they see in movies. Not just with guns either. They do it for medical information, legal information, etc, etc... it's really quite disheartening.

I would find something she's knowledgeable about and compare it to how that is perceived in movies. For instance, my Mom is a nurse and a cellist. She sees people playing the cello or medical shows and she has five pages of complaints about what they are doing wrong.

If your gal has something she can relate to as far as errors in movies you can say, "See! They got it wrong there. You think they got it right when it comes to guns?"

Problem solved.

Amen about ignorance only being fostered by more ignorance from movies.

The movie thing that gets me the most is those hundreds of times when the group, patrol, or whatever is stalking (or being stalked by) the other group, patrol, monster, or whatever - and it isn't until something suddenly pops up or starts to happen before everybody decides to "lock n' load" all their weapons in a stunning display of bravado and jacking of weapon actions.

Can't remember any time that I wasn't already locked & loaded - especially when enemy, monsters, or zombies were running amuck. Guess high-paid movie stars are too stupid to be trusted with even blanks locked & loaded until the scene actually starts and everyone in the production crew is safely hiding behind something
    pfries and Olduser like this.

mel
    sounds like she may be a keeper, but tell her that she has to buy her own. if it is serious, it may make for a nice engagement gift, just sayin.
    jerp and soada101 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

That drives me crazy!!!!

Its because they're shootin one of these...

Glock 1911.jpg
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post
    Its because they're shootin one of these...

Glock 1911.jpg
    Still cannot fire it with the hammer down.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Still cannot fire it with the hammer down.
    Thus the hammer cock sound.....
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post
    Thus the hammer cock sound.....
    yes it makes the sound but the hammer is never cocked, thus why the sound when the hammers down?
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I like it when they refer to or show suppressed revolvers!
    TN_Mike likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links