New Gun Buster Sign for WI

This is a discussion on New Gun Buster Sign for WI within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thought I would simplify the law for those unsuspecting Gun Buster Sign Posters in WI. What do you all think?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: New Gun Buster Sign for WI

New Gun Buster Sign for WI

Thought I would simplify the law for those unsuspecting Gun Buster Sign Posters in WI. What do you all think?

2. Remove Ads

Looks good to me! If it was the law, you probably wouldn't see a whole bunch of these.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Looks good to me! If it was the law, you probably wouldn't see a whole bunch of these.
    Actually it is the law here in WI. Businesses that don't allow you to carry are open to litigation if a BG comes in and shoots up the place because you were not allowed to defend yourself. Businesses that allow you to carry are immune from this.
    marko54 likes this.

Now let's see if someone enterprising turns that into some stickies and distributes them.

This is very nice, I'm going to print this up and send it to the local business in my town which are Anti-gun.
    Nam likes this.

I love it. I think it should be required for the businesses to use this. Most business owners probably don't even realize this is how the law actually reads. "Ignorance is Bliss" I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SoleShtr View Post
    Actually it is the law here in WI. Businesses that don't allow you to carry are open to litigation if a BG comes in and shoots up the place because you were not allowed to defend yourself. Businesses that allow you to carry are immune from this.
    I'd have to see the WI statute that spells that out. Of course everyone is open to litigation but I'd be very surprised if a suit for damages would go anywhere making a "No Guns" policy the cause responsible for your injuries at the hand of some nut case on a rampage.
    Dadsnugun likes this.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    (21) Immunity.
    (a) The department of justice, the department of transportation, and the employees of each
    department; clerks, as defined in sub. (11) (a) 1. a., and their staff; and court automated information systems, as defined under sub. (11) (a) 1. b., and their employees are immune from liability arising from any act or omission under this section, if done so in good faith.
    (b) A person that does not prohibit an individual from carrying a concealed weapon on property that the person owns or occupies is immune from any liability arising from its decision.
    (c) An employer that does not prohibit one or more employees from carrying a concealed weapon under sub.
    (15m) is immune from any liability arising from its decision.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

It is my understanding that this very thing happened to Wal-mart. Then the gunbuster signs came down.
    marko54 likes this.

VIP Member
    Benjamin Cardozo is turning over in his grave.

I wish all CCW states would pass such a law (including mine)... GO Wisconsin!
    marko54 and atctimmy like this.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

VIP Member
    I've searched the entire statutory scheme. There is no section that imposes liability. There are sections that grant immunity from liability:

(b) A person that does not prohibit an individual from
    carrying a concealed weapon on property that the person
    owns or occupies is immune from any liability arising
    from its decision.
    (c) An employer that does not prohibit one or more
    employees from carrying a concealed weapon under sub.
    (15m) is immune from any liability arising from its decision.

A carve out from immunity for a decision to NOT post a sign DOES NOT impose liability if you do post the sign. I'll say it again - if you bring this up as a point of argument, you will lose all credibility. I've posted re proximate cause and intervening cause in the context of tort liability in the other BBW thread.

I'm done now, except for my general disclaimer that I'm not a WI attorney, you are not my client, this ain't legal advice for your, and you ain't paying me and you get what you pay for.

I've searched the entire statutory scheme. There is no section that imposes liability. There are sections that grant immunity from liability:
    Even if there were such a statute a crazed killer shooting up the place would be in violation of their no gun policy too. How could the business be liable for what the shootist who is acting in violation of their policy does to someone?

The notion is absurd. I can't imagine a statute existing that would impose liability on a business for anything happening to a patron who entered the place of business unarmed knowing full well what the policy is unless they dragged him in there.

I love it! Do you mind if I print that out and start giving them to businesses that don't permit carry?
    New Wisconsin CCW Permit holder.

Love that sign!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links