In MD

This is a discussion on In MD within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone else have a UT CCW in MD and carry while travelling surrounding states? What has the experience been like? Awaiting CCW now....

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By SmokinFool

Thread: In MD

In MD

Does anyone else have a UT CCW in MD and carry while travelling surrounding states?

What has the experience been like?

Awaiting CCW now.

2. Remove Ads

UH, Maryland does not honor any other state Permit/Licenses... even if you had a Utah license/permit transporting in Maryland would be a sticky problem when trying to get to an 'honoring Utah permit/license' state
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Go to Marylandshooters.com - lots of good information on CCW issues

Yup, my mistake. Mdshooters.com
    Last edited by stsltd; January 24th, 2012 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stsltd View Post
    Go to Marylandshooters.com - lots of good information on CCW issues
    Welcome from a fellow Marylander!

+1 for mdshooters.com; a great community of local folks.

As for carry outside of Maryland it is uneventful. Other than the feeling of freedom as you exercise a right that only a few in MD have within our own state.

If I have to travel into Maryland I leave my weapon in NC (and I do not like to do that). I try to travel around Maryland
    (2Co 11:3 KJV) But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

Lead Moderator
    I have both a UT and FL permit, and have carried in surrounding states. There is no problem in the other states, it's the getting to them and discretely getting "loaded up", then reversing the procedure to get home, to comply with MD law. (Needless to say, stay OUT of DC with a firearm.)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

here is the AG opinion on travel. As I read this, If you start or stop in MD, you need to comply with MD statute 4-203, which gives a small list of activities you may engage in while carrying. My plan is if stopped headed to another state is to be "going to a range in another state." IMO it's very confusing.

Carry according to FOPA and you should be ok. Never consent to a search if asked.
    Attached Files

I was born in Baltimore and spent the first 28 years of my life in Maryland including my first 6 years in law-enforcement before moving to Florida.

Now retired and carrying nationwide under the provisions of the LEOSA of 2005 HB-218 I still feel uneasy going to Maryland and carrying concealed.

I know I am legal there but the attitude of the liberal state powers that be are unsettleing. If my grand children didn't live there I would have no reason to ever go back.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I have the Utah and Florida non resident permits. While I do not carry in Md. I DO carry outside of Md. I travel to Florida, Va., and Pa. alot and when driving thru Md. I have on an empty holster. Upon arival in Va, or Pa. I stop at first rest area, open the safe under my seat and discretely place my weapon in the holster. If I were to be stopped I am heading to a range in Va, or Pa. to meet a friend for some target punching... I travel discretely thru Md. when the firearms are in the truck. I do not draw attention to myself by speeding, having lights out etc.... One day maybe we will stop being persecuted here and have the right to Concealed Carry. When my son graduates HS and attends college we are moving out of state anyway...

Md. Taxation without Representation!!

Thanks for the replies, guys. In two years, when my step-son
    graduates college, we're headed for TN to retire there. Until then,
    I leave MD on a trip under FOPA, and I take a printout of a
    webpage of an out-of-state range where I plan to shoot while
    away. On return, I have my range receipt.

Thanks again,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I know I am legal there but the attitude of the liberal state powers that be are unsettleing. If my grand children didn't live there I would have no reason to ever go back.

OS
    As someone who grew up and lived most of my life in MD, I can attest to this. I remember when I first moved to WV, and went into a gun store. I told the guy behind the counter that I had just moved here from MD. He shook my hand and said "congratulations!"
    JoJoGunn and DaveH like this.

Just for the record---UT cashed my check on 27 DEC 2011 and permit arrived on 6 FEB 2012. I reckon 41 days.
    Not a bad turnaround!

Maryland is a state that does not respect the 2nd Amendment at all, and they love to try to punish you for using your 1st. Oddly enough they have castle doctrine. OP I suggest you move up or down a state so you are allowed to have the rights Americans were meant to have.

Unfortunately I still have family that won't move from that unconstitutional state so every so often I visit them. If I have to go there I'll leave my guns in Texas, I'll choose to fly, and limit my stay to a week. I will spend a decent amount of time trying to convince them to move outside of Soviet Maryland.

Links