moving to a new state that does not honor non resident permits from other states

moving to a new state that does not honor non resident permits from other states

This is a discussion on moving to a new state that does not honor non resident permits from other states within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently am a resident of Florida with a residents ccw permit. I am moving to Colorado at the end of the year for Gunsmithing ...

I currently am a resident of Florida with a residents ccw permit. I am moving to Colorado at the end of the year for Gunsmithing school, And I am wondering if anyone on this forum knows if I can use my Florida permit as proof of training to get a Colorado permit. I know that I will have to pay the fee in Colorado to get a new permit, and that non resident permits from other states are not valid. I am just wondering if I am going to have to take a class/complete training again. I am 21 and just got my permit late in 2011 so I am not too excited about paying for training twice in the same year when I am an avid shooter who has already passed florida standards to get a permit. I am sorry if this seems to ramble or doesn't make complete sense I just finished night welding school and a full day of work, and I haven't slept yet.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I would doubt it. My FL and MI permits won't help me in NC. I'm not going to pay for the training to get a NC permit when both mine work. You will have to contact CO for that one.

Open Carry?? Till you get a permitt, If leagal ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archie72490 View Post
    I am just wondering if I am going to have to take a class/complete training again.
    If you have your certificate from the training to qualify in Florida, and it was done less than 10 years ago, no.

CO does not honor non-resident permits but it should help expedite your application here. It does not matter where you got your training as long as it's been within the last 5 years, 10 years for renewals. Unfortunately, I believe it takes 6 months to gain resident status when you move so you may not be able to get a permit right away - not sure on this one as I've never been asked this before.

Thanks, so this means that I should be allowed to use my Florida carry permit for the first six months because I will still technically be a Florida resident? Also I know that CO allows open carry, do you have to be a resident of CO to open carry or would that also be an option for me while I am waiting for my resident status? My only real concerns with the move are that I wont be able to carry at all, and that I cant buy any firearms in CO until I am a resident.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Your FL permit is legal in CO as long as you have a FL driver license on you and the addresses on the FL permit and driver license are both located in FL. Once you surrender the FL driver license, the FL permit is no longer recognized.

Open carry is prohibited within the County and City of Denver. It is not prohibited anywhere else in Colorado for both residents and nonresidents. Local governments can prohibit open carry in specific areas if all entrances to the space are posted "no open carry" or words to that effect. Of course private property owners can prohibit open or concealed carry on their properties.

A tip: once you have the CO permit, the single best secondary permit is UT. It adds more states than FL and costs less than a FL permit.

You need to check Driver License laws,IIRC you have 30 days to transfer your license to your new address
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks for your help, I know plenty about the parts and function of guns but it takes a little while to completely understand the laws when I move between states

I will still have a residence here in Florida when I move to CO so it will still be a legal valid drivers license until I get my CO residency

That was going to be my question. If you are just going to school then you are only there temporarily and your permanent address will be FL. I assume you will keep your drivers license from FL and FL plates on the car. Just like any student you maintain citizenship in your home state. That is why as a bouncer in college we had a chart with all DLs so we could tell if they were real.

I am going to gunsmithing school and I plan to stay for awhile after I graduate. The problem with being a FL resident the whole time is the laws restricting residents of other states from taking possession of firearms and gunsmithing school involves working on customer guns and custom building a rifle from the ground up, and since that will be my rifle and I will have to get the parts and build it in the state of CO I will have to be a resident. If I was going to a regular sit behind a desk and learn college it wouldn't be a problem.
    By the way I also worked as a bouncer and a bartender in florida and I'm sure you'll agree having to check the book is one of the most annoying parts of the job.

Links