Try and not be too obvious would ya?

This is a discussion on Try and not be too obvious would ya? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maybe you can take him aside and talk to him about it. Find out if he's new to concealed carry or not. If this is ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Try and not be too obvious would ya?

Maybe you can take him aside and talk to him about it. Find out if he's new to concealed carry or not. If this is the first time you've noticed it he might be trying something new. If that was the case a few simi embarrassing moments would maybe help him in the long run.
    I've been carrying for a long time and still remember those first years wondering who was going to spot my weapon. It can take a long time to develop a good EDC routine that works for you. Being a gun nut I'm always looking for something that will work with every situation work or play.

2. Remove Ads

What knucklehead would put stickers on a BMW??

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have to hike up my pants whether carrying or not; it's up to you to determine if and when.
    RMS likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Putting a bunch of stickers on a 5 series BMW should have been enough to get him arrested...
    Actually the OP should get the guy's email and send him a link to this:

The "grey man" approach

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Actually the OP should get the guy's email and send him a link to this:

The "grey man" approach
    Most people who drive a 5-series BMW aren't trying to blend in. People who drive a five year old Toyota Camry blend in.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    jrclen - Nice Ultra, dude.
    Thanks MadMac.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey TCT: I was preempted by Chief with his brief reply, as shown above. My first thought was what do you do for a living and is this your business, which you sort of imply. If not I would suggest you get back to work and not worry about other people and their CC problems. Also found it interesting that you somehow feel the BMW is important---makes me wonder a bit about why this whole thread has been initiated.

It really doesn't matter what I do for a living or what I do with my time.

I may be a self made multi-millionaire entrepreneur who has the corner office, likes to look out his window often, and gaze at his new Ferrari 458.

Maybe I am a church minister and I often glance out the window to ponder the meaning of life.

Maybe I am a gang banger who empties the office trash cans, is on work release, and I was taking a smoke break while looking out / blowing smoke through a small window in the utility closet.

Regardless, the message is the same no matter how the other content in my post is perceived or who delivered it.

Just be careful how you advertise yourself as you have no idea who is checking you out or what their intention is.

Sorry to ruffle some feathers but my perception is that guy (and many other self perceived tough guys who like to advertise their badassery) and his gun sticker covered m class screams "I have a gun therefore I am a some sort of suburban middle class yuppie Rambo who is not to be messed with." Guess what folks, that may work with some but the real bad guys would just ID that guy first and take him out...first. And those are the guys everyone should be concerned about; the ones who have created much the demand for law abiding citizens to pack deadly weapons.

What the bad guys don't see coming and where I want to be is the unassuming type (not a target but unassuming) that sends the same radar signature as a sweet little old lady in her flower stickered VW bug yet in reality wields a Ruger sub nose 454 and can shoot a fly off a dogs butt, under stress, standing on her head at 50 yards.
    bigdog44 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TCT View Post
    Sorry to ruffle some feathers but my perception is that guy (and many other self perceived tough guys who like to advertise their badassery) and his gun sticker covered m class screams "I have a gun therefore I am a some sort of suburban middle class yuppie Rambo who is not to be messed with." Guess what folks, that may work with some but the real bad guys would just ID that guy first and take him out...first. And those are the guys everyone should be concerned about; the ones who have created much the demand for law abiding citizens to pack deadly weapons.

What the bad guys don't see coming and where I want to be is the unassuming type (not a target but unassuming) that sends the same radar signature as a sweet little old lady in her flower stickered VW bug yet in reality wields a Ruger sub nose 454 and can shoot a fly off a dogs butt, under stress, standing on her head at 50 yards.
    Look, you seem like you were going to enjoy the mans discomfort when you went to ask for his coat. You did not have them impression he was trying to a baddass or a suburban yuppie. If the rest of the post is true why didn't you pull him aside and just let him know politely what he was doing. He might have appreciated it. Instead you seem to get on a high horse and didn't offer the man any advice or give him your observations on what you saw.
    9MMare likes this.

Sounds like you may have missed the golden opportunity to make a new "Gun Buddy".

Ive no dog in the hunt...

But curious why anyone feels it is their responsibility to inform someone else they "know what they were doing?" It seems there is a stigma among society that folks who carry firearms are paranoid or trigger happy. Why perpetuate that stigma by feeling the need to point out to someone they saw them adjust their strap?

I would think a better introduction would be something along the lines...

"I noticed you are carrying, Thank You for exercising your rights and in turn helping to protect mine."

We are not at odds with one another.
    9MMare and NIS350ZTT like this.

Quote Originally Posted by eipo View Post
    I would think a better introduction would be something along the lines...

"I noticed you are carrying, Thank You for exercising your rights and in turn helping to protect mine."

We are not at odds with one another.
    That's a pretty good approach. You are giving him some positive reinforcement while at the same time letting him know that his behavior is giving him away.

Quote Originally Posted by TCT View Post
    It really doesn't matter what I do for a living or what I do with my time.

I may be a self made multi-millionaire entrepreneur who has the corner office, likes to look out his window often, and gaze at his new Ferrari 458.

Maybe I am a church minister and I often glance out the window to ponder the meaning of life.

Maybe I am a gang banger who empties the office trash cans, is on work release, and I was taking a smoke break while looking out / blowing smoke through a small window in the utility closet.
    Or you may just be some poor schlep working for a narcissistic boss who gets the real corner office and your just dreaming of a life of excitement outside of your cubby. The guy was probably just making a man adjustment and out of it comes this story. Creative minds.... No one carrying should be so obvious if this was the case. No one should be so crazy to mare up a good BMW of any class with stickers either. It is all just not right.

By the way, where do you work? Taco Bell?? You have to much free time to not only see all this but then turn to post it.....
    TCT likes this.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog44 View Post
    Or you may just be some poor schlep working for a narcissistic boss who gets the real corner office and your just dreaming of a life of excitement outside of your cubby. The guy was probably just making a man adjustment and out of it comes this story. Creative minds.... No one carrying should be so obvious if this was the case. No one should be so crazy to mare up a good BMW of any class with stickers either. It is all just not right.

By the way, where do you work? Taco Bell?? You have to much free time to not only see all this but then turn to post it.....

BWHAHAHA

that will be $4.15...please pull around.

Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Like Jean-Luc-Picard?
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought of the 'Picard Maneuver". I actually do that... whenever I get up from my desk, my shirt tends to ride up a bit, and tuck itself behind the grip a little. I just tug it down from the sides and run my fingers around the hem to make sure nothing's bound up. I always wonder if someone's noticing that..
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought of the 'Picard Maneuver". I actually do that... whenever I get up from my desk, my shirt tends to ride up a bit, and tuck itself behind the grip a little. I just tug it down from the sides and run my fingers around the hem to make sure nothing's bound up. I always wonder if someone's noticing that..
    You do not want to know how much of a trekkie I am! My wife says its my only vice.
    9MMare likes this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links