Try and not be too obvious would ya?

This is a discussion on Try and not be too obvious would ya? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by suntzu You do not want to know how much of a trekkie I am! My wife says its my only vice. I'm ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Try and not be too obvious would ya?

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    You do not want to know how much of a trekkie I am! My wife says its my only vice.
    I'm going through all four* series on Netflix again right now... so I understand :)

*ENT isn't real Trek
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Adjustment of the clothes- Yep, they are "tells", no doubt. OTOH, without personal care then you're subject to having your coat, shirt or whatever ride up over your CCW, or worse yet let it fall out. That stuff happens. Nothing wrong with doing some adjustment checking, but your CCW should be discreet and maybe the checking should be discreet too. It's easy for those adjustments to become habits that are easily noticeable, and something to ask yourself about.

Bumper stickers- I sort of cringed when I read that. However it is to nice to send out pro-gun messages, we can use plenty of that; however it does send out the suggestion to break in my car and get my guns. I happen to have a 5 series BMW and I wouldn't put any bumper stickers on it, but that's just me.

Looking out the window- I've been an employee and an employer, and I don't have any trouble with me or someone else looking out the window. The problem comes with how much accumulative time they are looking out the window.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Bumper stickers- I sort of cringed when I read that. However it is to nice to send out pro-gun messages, we can use plenty of that; however it does send out the suggestion to break in my car and get my guns. I happen to have a 5 series BMW and I wouldn't put any bumper stickers on it, but that's just me.
    I just wanted to comment on the bumper sticker thing. I think they are tacky and would never put one on my truck or car. But as far as having a NRA sticker on your car and worrying about somebody breaking in to steal your guns...I don't start worrying about every little thing in life anymore. It is more odd where I live NOT to see a NRA bumper sticker. But I can see the point. When I go to the store shopping with the wife (she makes me go Yuck!), I get bored and try to spot people. If ya got an NRA, police affiliatied or gun related hat or shirt I look a bit harder and sure enough...ya can spot them.
    When I do have to leave my firearm in the vehicle I have places that a criminal will not be able to find in a quick break in and snatch. So I don't worry about it.

I just wanted to comment on the bumper sticker thing. I think they are tacky and would never put one on my truck or car. But as far as having a NRA sticker on your car and worrying about somebody breaking in to steal your guns...I don't start worrying about every little thing in life anymore. It is more odd where I live NOT to see a NRA bumper sticker. But I can see the point. When I go to the store shopping with the wife (she makes me go Yuck!), I get bored and try to spot people. If ya got an NRA, police affiliatied or gun related hat or shirt I look a bit harder and sure enough...ya can spot them.
    When I do have to leave my firearm in the vehicle I have places that a criminal will not be able to find in a quick break in and snatch. So I don't worry about it.
    You know, I've thought about that and at one time even helped spread the myth. I can't recall a single time where an individual (at least in my area) was targeted specifically for his gun. I know of several times that, in the course of an altercation, a weapon was used against the owner. He pulled it and the bad guy managed to get it away from him. But instances of "I see that he has a gun. I think I will steal it from him" are probably pretty rare. As far as homes or cars, you would think if someone wanted to steal guns, a gun shop would be the logical place to hit; but even those are rare. If, in the course of a burglary, the burglar finds a gun; sure he will grab it but I doubt that many homes or cars are targeted for guns.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TCT View Post
    My office has a full view of the parking lot (amazing view I know) and often I watch people come into our building.

Usually I can glance at someone and not think anything of it. Not today.

First off, we / I allow conceal carry on our property. What I don't care for is folks who make it so easy for others to know they are packin by not thinking a little bit deeper in regard to what they are doing.

OK, here is the story....just now a guy pulls up in his newer 5 series BMW, I instantly notice the don't tread on me sticker, various other firearm stickers, and NRA sticker on his back window.

He gets out of his car with his hand on his right hip, looks around, pulls up one side of his pants (his sidearm most likely pulled them down), he then adjusts his coat while he look at his side. Then to confirm my theory, he places his hand on the side of his coat , pats it a few times while he looks down to make sure is trusty sidearm is not sticking out.

After shaking my head a little, reminding myself not to act that way myself, and just for fun; I went into our waiting room, said hello, and offered to take his coat since I claimed someone turned up the heat and he must be hot. He said he was fine. Haha

Maybe I am just being overly sensitive? I dont think so. I think I am just being aware.

So, I guess, without trying to be preachy, be careful out there and think before you do something. You have no idea who may be looking.
    If I want to make it less obvious while checking if my gun on my strong side belt wasn't exposed, I place both hands on my back pretending I am having a backache while I feel if my gun and other belt accessories are in place. I also try not to it all the time. This trick I learned from Massad Ayoob featured on the recent "Book of Combat Handgunnery" .

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    You know, I've thought about that and at one time even helped spread the myth. I can't recall a single time where an individual (at least in my area) was targeted specifically for his gun. I know of several times that, in the course of an altercation, a weapon was used against the owner. He pulled it and the bad guy managed to get it away from him. But instances of "I see that he has a gun. I think I will steal it from him" are probably pretty rare. As far as homes or cars, you would think if someone wanted to steal guns, a gun shop would be the logical place to hit; but even those are rare. If, in the course of a burglary, the burglar finds a gun; sure he will grab it but I doubt that many homes or cars are targeted for guns.
    I think those are rare because every gun shop I've seen is obvously well secured. Alarm panels and sensors on the windows, bars everywhere, heavy locks... Not 'easy pickins'
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

The OPs post reminds me of all the cars I see cruising around with car audio equipment stickers plastered all over them. I always thought it was a stupid advertisement for people to rob the cars of their precious goods.

I give the OP credit for being "in-tune" with his environment. This is one skill IMO, that everyone choosing to carry should master. Many conflicts can be detected and deterred by being aware of one's surroundings. I probably would not choose to "haze" him by asking for his jacket (unless we were friends), but I may choose to enlighten him on how obvious his actions may be. If I didn't know the guy, I wouldn't want someone who advertises to be aware of MY choice, by implication.

Quote Originally Posted by discoboxer View Post
    but I may choose to enlighten him on how obvious his actions may be. If I didn't know the guy, I wouldn't want someone who advertises to be aware of MY choice, by implication.
    Why would you freel it incumbent on you to "enlighten" him or anyone else?

You're either doing it:

a) as a public service to a fellow concealed carrier,
    b) to demonstrate to yourself your smug superiority because you read some totally obvious signs anyone of us would recognize.

You choose.

BTW, if you say you choose "a", it's really "b" you're feeling.

Where I have lived for many years (Missouri & now Colorado) OC is legal, so I don't give a frap who sees me "adjust".

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Why would you freel it incumbent on you to "enlighten" him or anyone else?

You're either doing it:

a) as a public service to a fellow concealed carrier,
    b) to demonstrate to yourself your smug superiority because you read some totally obvious signs anyone of us would recognize.

You choose.

BTW, if you say you choose "a", it's really "b" you're feeling.
    I disagree with your post. Maybe you read into the word "enlighten" with a superiority context whereas it also means "to furnish knowledge", in a non-spiritual context. Not sure of your intent to contribute to the post.

Sometimes we are unaware of how are actions are viewed by others. I am privileged to have a wife and close friends who aren't afraid to give me their thoughts on my actions, and most times I appreciate their concern. I have grown a lot in life from people who were willing to share with me their experience and I personally have never been threatened by that.

So by me choosing A), it does not at all mean that I feel more like B). I do not feel the need to measure myself with all my actions.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

I have to pull my pants up some and adjust my shirt every time I get out of a car... it has nothing to do with my gun being there. So, figure what you might..... I wouldn't really care .... If the gun doesn't show, it doesn't show.... end of discussion.

When we first got CC , there was a group of people organizing to "OUT PEOPLE" whenever they could, wherever they could, and to do it boldly and loudly..... to try I guess to (1) try to shame the people for carrying a gun, (2) get the businesses to POST. It mostly backfired on them.

I was "pointed out" numerous times for my "cell phone" it was amazing..... people are not nearly as good about telling if you are or you aren't as they think they are. Bulges, etc. can be all types of things.

One IDIOT CC'er (found this out later when saw the idiot at the range) came up to me in a store, after standing there looking weird and staring at me for about 10 minutes while in the sporting section..... when he came toward me..... I really thought the guy was gay and going to hit up on me or something. He came up and whispered.... "you are carrying a gun aren't you " .... as if he had "discoverd my secret and was letting me know he knew it" . Thing was ... I was NOT carrying.... and asked him what kind of idiot are you .... " NO, I"m not carrying and if I was it wouldn't be any of your business". He didn't quit ... " I know you are, your pants are sagging a touch on one side" ....

I could not get rid of this guy, so I FINALLY.... pulled out the TON of keys in my pocket , tossing them on a counter, and telling him..... I don't what it is you think you know, but personally I think you are a complete idiot for approaching someone and if they were carrying and saying anything about it to them. Secondly, I really want you to get the **** away from me and leave me alone. Told him to he was one of the weirdest people I think I"ve run into. Man, he was strange.

I think it's strange as hell, that people are standing around trying to figure out if someone is carrying or not, or think they know..... and may be completely full of it. Who cares .....
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

LOL

I'm in agreement, basically, with the thoughts on bumper stickers.

But....

The ONLY bumper sticker I've ever had (as an adult) was Picard/Riker '92.
    suntzu likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    I think those are rare because every gun shop I've seen is obvously well secured. Alarm panels and sensors on the windows, bars everywhere, heavy locks... Not 'easy pickins'
    That's true and if I remember reading the signs correctly, it jumps to a federal offense. I'm just changing my thinking. I think most gun thefts are crimes of opportunity. A burglar breaks into a house, comes across a gun while he is stealing other stuff, and takes the gun along with any other valuables.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I thought I was going to have an issue with "picking out" people who I thought were carrying concealed when I first applied for my license. Turns out that it's not true, I don't give a hoot about what people carry!

I figured it would go on the same idea as when you buy a new vehicle, you notice every other one on the road now that you have one!

DL
    A couple things... when I was new to carrying I was probably a bit more "obvious" than I am now. I still need to adjust from time to time but I am much more discreet than I used to be. In the summer I spend a lot of time on my motorcycle. I will sometimes ride in a group on charity rides and things like that with people I don't know. I became very aware of the considerable number of people carrying concealed on rides. On hot days when some of the leather and other jackets come off I occasionally see obvious printing as the wind blows shirts around. For those of you who ride you might want to be aware of that. I am now.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links