New to forum.. need help with a response to an anti CCW poster

This is a discussion on New to forum.. need help with a response to an anti CCW poster within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JCSlumlord I would refer back to the studies years ago by John Lott and earlier by Gary Kleck (sp?). I am sure ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: New to forum.. need help with a response to an anti CCW poster

Quote Originally Posted by JCSlumlord View Post
    I would refer back to the studies years ago by John Lott and earlier by Gary Kleck (sp?). I am sure their research has already been talked about here someplace.
    I'm sure it has too, and believe me, I'm not trying to bust your balls here, it's just very easy to say this or that about a topic, or refer to someone or another's research and still be very vague and unconvincing to one's audience.

I still believe that engaging this fellow for any length of time is counter-productive, but if you must, I recommend you be prepared with specific facts and data points, rather than the rather "fuzzy" "Mr. X or Mr Z's research which is available online somewhere". This guy will try to bury you in irrelevancy, so your counter must be concise and accurate.

...and welcome to the forum ...seems I neglected that earlier.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

2. Remove Ads

Don't bother trying to teach a pig to sing. You'll only get frustrated and it annoys the pig. You can't win... why bother.
    Dadsnugun, tkruf and Hotbrass like this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Not being snide or cutsey, but MOVE-- not only from NJ but anywhere in that whole overpriced, overtaxed, overpopulated pile of yada yada called the northeast. Spoke to someone in NJ today--it is 39 degrees and getting colder and for this privilege you get the abovementioned descriptive benefits--not to mention having to put up with anti CC verbage from people who believe in tooth fairies, the police are seconds away to protect, and their firearms are to protect you and not them first and foremost.
    tkruf likes this.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    Can you back this up? If one intends to argue about something, one should have facts to present.
    See Don Kates article on Guns, Murders, and the Constitution, at guncite.com

This article describes a number of attempts at doing surveys of defensive gun use. Based on the ANTI GUN surveys only, (this was done in the 1980's), there
    are about 645,000 DGU's annually in the US vs. 580,000 criminal misuses. Another 215,000 times a year guns are used to defend against snakes and other dangerous animals. The NRA polls show a much higher degree of DGU'S (that is where the 2.5 million times a year estimate came from)).
    Dadsnugun and MisterFleas like this.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    See Don Kates article on Guns, Murders, and the Constitution, at guncite.com

This article describes a number of attempts at doing surveys of defensive gun use. Based on the ANTI GUN surveys only, (this was done in the 1980's), there
    are about 645,000 DGU's annually in the US vs. 580,000 criminal misuses. Another 215,000 times a year guns are used to defend against snakes and other dangerous animals. The NRA polls show a much higher degree of DGU'S (that is where the 2.5 million times a year estimate came from)).
    While I haven't read this article yet (and may not ever) this is exactly what I'm talking about. You provide a source, an explanation of the data and the data itself. More than enough information for anyone who may be so inclined to fact check and verify on their own. This wins points with audiences, though one must be careful not to bore them with too many statistics.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Not being snide or cutsey, but MOVE-- not only from NJ but anywhere in that whole overpriced, overtaxed, overpopulated pile of yada yada called the northeast. Spoke to someone in NJ today--it is 39 degrees and getting colder and for this privilege you get the abovementioned descriptive benefits--not to mention having to put up with anti CC verbage from people who believe in tooth fairies, the police are seconds away to protect, and their firearms are to protect you and not them first and foremost.
    I agree 100% with this, well, except for those very much "Pro-2A States". Definitely for NJ, NY, and IL. I say leave those states to the Anti's and the criminals and the Anti's can then try and figure out how to control the criminals on their own, and they'll lose all those tax dollars.

There are better places to live!

Don't give the guy anything to chew on. He doesn't deserve a response.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I'm really not sure what the writer's point is--it seems like he's suggesting that all of these questions have to be answered, somehow, in advance of any decision to arm oneself. Not sure where's he going with it. The only response I can think of that makes any sense is to say something such as:

"All of the issues you raise, in the form of questions pertaining to either this particular event or to conflict in general, are issues of concern to any person, especially folks who find themselves being threatened with a lethal weapon. I don't know why you'd assume I or anyone else isn't asking these questions. Few of your questions can be answered in advance--preparedness would be answering those that can be, and understanding the importance of the others.

Of your questions that you cited as being the most important, regarding whether the woman's actions decreased or increased her potential risk of serious injury, clearly her actions reduced this risk, from this particular assailant under her circumstances, to zero. Only that individual who finds himself/herself in mortal danger can make the call as to what action is best. We are in complete agreement, if you're suggesting that adequate self defense goes far beyond being armed. Your questions regarding where one's weapon is carried, how it is loaded, and whether or not we've considered that our assailant may have multiple weapons--are all very good questions. We certainly share the view that everyone who arms themselves should explore these questions, or prepare themselves by understanding the implications or armed conflict.

The article I cited serves to support the notion that the People can defend themselves and others, and that when allowed to exercise their right to do so, can prevail in their efforts to survive.

It is every reasonable person's hope, I think, that we will all be as aware of our own circumstances as practical, and avoid those circumstances that seem most likely to put us in danger. Often, dangerous threats are brought to us, whether we take steps to avoid them or not. When they are, I'd want our governments to fully support our right to defend ourselves to the degree warranted.

Thank you for your interest regarding the concerns and responsibilities we share in exercising our fundamental right to defend ourselves."

That's my view. I think the writer was simply expressing a genuine concern that there are many considerations folks should take into account--but his implication is that this somehow has a bearing on whether the Right is 'granted' or not. He also seems to be implying a belief that being armed somehow puts you at more risk than if you weren't. While I believe there's some perverted 'logic' going on there, what I wrote attempts to give the benefit of some doubt.
    Freedom Doc and Tzadik like this.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

Quote Originally Posted by JCSlumlord View Post
    ROON:

You have a point there.. I will put that question into my response. I wonder if this guy is a local cop? When I went through my purchase permit process, my discussions with the local PD officers (granted, it was a small sample of a force of over 500) revealed they were largely of the opinion the public is not competent enough to be trusted with firearm ownership.. let alone be allowed to carry.
    If I took a small sampling of LE from the news I might come to the conclusion that I don't trust them to be armed either. So should we disarm them because of the few that have proven untrustworthy of our trust or being armed? Their opinion cuts both ways. I'm sure they would love me.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    The NRA polls show a much higher degree of DGU'S (that is where the 2.5 million times a year estimate came from)).
    The 2.5 million figure I follow comes from Kleck, not the NRA. I wouldn't trust the NRA's survey any more than I would trust a survey done by the Brady Campaign. You have to go with independent researchers like Kleck.

As for the OP, your subject seems to be under the mistaken impression that we think that our guns provide a 100% reliable force field making us immune to any harm while carrying. Of course there are situations where carrying won't help, just as there are car crashes where seat belts won't help, and house fires where an extinguisher won't help. That doesn't mean that they aren't helpful in many other situations, and it's not at all difficult to find examples with a little digging online.

You might also point out that during the time span when concealed carry swept the country (going from half the states to over 40 now), violent crime in all categories, including gun crimes, plummeted. I don't believe that concealed carry was the cause of the drop in crime, but it should be obvious that they did not cause harm.

Lots of Luck. Try getting them to go to www.justfacts.com/guncontrol and read the before and after gun bans in DC and Chicago. Murder rate about double the US in both cases.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself when I was youner

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

Remember, if you argue with an idiot, you bring yourself down to their level.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Remember, if you argue with an idiot, you bring yourself down to their level.
    ... and they will beat you with experience.

Here's another link for you:

Gun Self-Defense Counter Dashboard Widget

First point...

Give up with this 'on-line' anti...don't waste your valuable time trying to discuss/argue/convince a Maroooooon.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    The online anti will argue trivial points forever and never concede anything. The simplest argument: if a circumstance arises where having a weapon saves my life, if I have a weapon I live.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    TO OUR MODERATORS: Would it be possible to add a "sticky" or a sub-category where folks could paste copies of relevant studies regarding the effective defensive use of firearms?
    MisterFleas likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links