Off Person Carry Ideas?

This is a discussion on Off Person Carry Ideas? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Max Ped makes a universal ccw holster designed to fit in the appropriate compartment on your pack. They aren't expensive at all and will accommodate ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Off Person Carry Ideas?

Max Ped makes a universal ccw holster designed to fit in the appropriate compartment on your pack. They aren't expensive at all and will accommodate most pistols.

Maxpedition Modular Universal CCW Holster - Black 3501B. 3501B. Maxpedition Holsters.

This is what I use in mine and it works but could be better.

Crossbreed also makes one.

Ohai Modular Holster | Crossbreed Holsters - Ohai Modular

No personal experience with this but they make high quality products. Either one of those options should work great and will definitely be discreet.

2. Remove Ads

I might consider 'off body' carry for my BUG, but my EDC is always on my person.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I can't personally vouch for these but I have heard good things about the Wilderness Safepacker.

Link: Concealed Holster, Concealment Holsters, Pistol Holster
    I have one and like it for selected uses, but I wouldn't call it "Off Person". Mine is attached to what they call a "Runners Pack", essentially a web belt with water bottle holders. I don't think it would be very good for running, but I use it for general day hikes. It's essentially a fully enclosed holster that people don't recognize as a holster (once you take the logo off).

A_D
    When carrying, you are not only responsible for your own safety- you are responsible for OTHERS' safety from your weapon. A stolen or discovered weapon in the the hands of anyone other than its owner is a danger to everyone involved. I personally could never leave my gun where someone else can get their hands on it. I was nervous about carrying at first too, but you just have to realize that it is your legal right, and learn how to do it comfortably for yourself as well as others. Concealed carry is a grave responsibility never to be taken lightly. If it is not for your IMMEDIATE self defense in public- leave it locked up at home. If you have to GO TO your gun, than you can probably evade or escape the situation. What do you do if you can't get to your gun? Why even carry in public? My gun is only useful for my survival and safe to the community ON MY PERSON and in my complete control.
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."

-Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by AlecGuiness View Post
    Preface: I searched for 'off person', but didn't find much.

I can hear the guffaws now. ‘No way! Always on your person!’

I’m very new to carrying; in fact my class in Sunday, so I’m not carrying anywhere but my house right now.

My question: is anyone carrying in a small backpack or other bag-like component, and in your opinion, can it be done discreetly?

I’ve purchased a Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon from a friend; I love the size, feel and look, and it can almost be a BOB or range bag if needed.

Anyway, there aren’t too many places I can carry during the week, so I am considering keeping my carry piece and a few magazines in it in my trunk, and then wear it or use my IWB holster where I can. Not metro IMO, but I can see some calling it murse-like, not that I should let that dissuade me.

TIA
    Carrying in a backpack or some other off-person place is risky, can leave it someplace, someone can rip it off your arm etc.

Trunk of car? Easy steal of gun by thief or theft of gun PLUS car if they grab that. In my state, you violate your permit if gun is not under your control, good reasons in my book.

For those of you that offered off-person carry info, thanks very much! For the rest, no worries, I am still gathering IWB holster candidates!

I carry a Springfield XD Sub-Compact 9mm in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB. Sometimes I do get put in situations where I need to carry off-body, especially trying to corral a kid. Bending down, up, running after him, etc.. Is a lot easier with a pack on me than my holster on me. For these times, I use a Maxpedition Versipack LEO S-Type in Orange / Grey. It conceals incredibly well, isn't too heavy and is very comfortable.

I keep this pack on me wherever I go on my left side, and no one questions it, besides the obvious joking from my friends.

My advice would be go with what is comfortable for you. Having your weapon with you, just a little bit more inaccessible, is better than having no weapon at all.

Stay safe :)
    AlecGuiness and surefire7 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AlecGuiness View Post
    For those of you that offered off-person carry info, thanks very much! For the rest, no worries, I am still gathering IWB holster candidates!
    One thing that dissuaded me from off-person carry is studying things such as the Tueller Drill. Do what you wish, of course, but I thought in case you hadn't considered such things you might find the video valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by trip20 View Post
    One thing that dissuaded me from off-person carry is studying things such as the Tueller Drill. Do what you wish, of course, but I thought in case you hadn't considered such things you might find the video valuable.
    That is something I have considered...and with purse carry, I can have my hand on my gun in my purse in front of me, at my left hip. Whereas that would be very difficult for someone carrying on their body and not have it be obvious. All I have to do is draw and aim. I do this sometimes anyway, as I walk to my car at nite. I can make it look like I am reaching for my keys.

I have also practiced dry-firing from within the purse without drawing. With a semi-auto you'll only get one shot because the slide usually jams, and it takes practice to aim and it also depends on the stiffness and the angle of the holster...all have to be practiced and it's certainly a last-ditch effort.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Senior Moderator
    Okay, people, he gets it. Off body carry is not recommended. I don't care if you still want to put your thoughts about off carry in your post but from this point on (14:13 on 1/26/12) if the post does not actually contain an answer to the question (i.e. OFF BODY carry options) then it will be deleted.

VIP Member
    If I were to off-body carry (which I don't and won't), I would try to find an unusual bag/container for my weapon. Bags that are made for and marketed for weapon carry are too obvious for my liking.

A small weapon in a calendar/planner could work as could a briefcase as long as you appear to be going to work. I would find a bag that does not scream "here I am, come and get me."
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I use a versa pack on occasions. I highly reccomend it. Check out the features.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

I carry my BUG in a fanny pack oriented at about 10:00 (cross draw), and I got a pack with a security steel insert, mesh and locking zippers (as needed). I do think that the chances of me needing to out 'quick draw' any assailant are slim to none.

It would probably take me 15-20 seconds to deploy the BUG, and I keep this in mind. The key things in off-body carry are:

* security - you don't want anything you will leave behind, or which can be taken from you (such as cutting a strap);
    * secure-ness - you want your firearm to be properly oriented and not sliding around in a bag such that you don't know how to get an instinctive grip.

FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
    I carry my BUG in a fanny pack oriented at about 10:00 (cross draw), and I got a pack with a security steel insert, mesh and locking zippers (as needed). I do think that the chances of me needing to out 'quick draw' any assailant are slim to none.

It would probably take me 15-20 seconds to deploy the BUG, and I keep this in mind. The key things in off-body carry are:

* security - you don't want anything you will leave behind, or which can be taken from you (such as cutting a strap);
    * secure-ness - you want your firearm to be properly oriented and not sliding around in a bag such that you don't know how to get an instinctive grip.

FWIW
    *1: if someone 'cuts' or grabs your off-body carry bag....they are headed fast in one direction. And you should be headed fast in the opposite direction. Good odds on staying safe. (Actually, 2 of mine are reinforced with steel cable and cant be cut. Still, giving it up might be safer if no other guns are drawn.)

*2: I have 2 varieties of carry bags (and 3 different ones). Each has a velcro'd holster in a separate pouch that hold my gun and an extra mag ONLY. The velcro allows for proper orientation and gun is not sliding around. The 2 bags I like best allow me to carry the bag on my left hip, steadying with my left hand...with the ability to draw with the right.

I agree with your reminders. I just wanted to reinforce them
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links