Off Person Carry Ideas?

Off Person Carry Ideas?

This is a discussion on Off Person Carry Ideas? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Preface: I searched for 'off person', but didn't find much. I can hear the guffaws now. ‘No way! Always on your person!’ I’m very new ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Off Person Carry Ideas?

Question Off Person Carry Ideas?

Preface: I searched for 'off person', but didn't find much.

I can hear the guffaws now. ‘No way! Always on your person!’

I’m very new to carrying; in fact my class in Sunday, so I’m not carrying anywhere but my house right now.

My question: is anyone carrying in a small backpack or other bag-like component, and in your opinion, can it be done discreetly?

I’ve purchased a Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon from a friend; I love the size, feel and look, and it can almost be a BOB or range bag if needed.

Anyway, there aren’t too many places I can carry during the week, so I am considering keeping my carry piece and a few magazines in it in my trunk, and then wear it or use my IWB holster where I can. Not metro IMO, but I can see some calling it murse-like, not that I should let that dissuade me.

TIA

Moderator Note:
    Okay, people, he gets it. Off body carry is not recommended. I don't care if you still want to put your thoughts about off carry in your post but from this point on (14:13 on 1/26/12) if the post does not (at least in addition) actually contain an answer to the question (i.e. OFF BODY carry options) then it will be deleted.

Yeah it can be done discreetly but it is not generally recommended because of the problems inherent with securing a weapon off your body.

If you're going to carry it should be on your person for yours and other's safety.
    tcox4freedom and A_D like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Yeah it can be done discreetly but it is not generally recommended because of the problems inherent with securing a weapon off your body.

If you're going to carry it should be on your person for yours and other's safety.
    ^^^What he said^^^

The only way I would support any "off-body" type of carry is if there was no other choice. But, with today's VAST array of carry products, you can almost always carry "on-person".

-

I understand the desire to leave you weapon in your car. I carry both on my person and in a bag that lives most its life i my jeep, also a max ped product. For me it works very well, it was designed with that in mind. As far as being discreet, only another max ped owner or maybe the police will know its in there. A random person would be oblivious. The only caution I could offer is:

A: Treat your bag like its a weapon because at that point it essentially is. Its easy to forget that theres a gun in there when you just want to run into the gas station or something. Letting some random looky loo swipe your bag, and your gun, cause it looks neat sitting in the seat of your vehicle is unacceptable.

B: Resist the urge to defend your man purse by letting everybody know your carrying. I catch flak for having mine but being prepared is more important to me that looking cool.

For me I feel that having a weapon in the bag is more of a back up scenario. Just try and beat your draw from a holster IWB while drawing from your bag. Especially if its in your trunk. Remember its all about defending yourself. If your running to your car, you could flat out run away too. But if that truly is your only option more power to you.

So what I don’t want to be is an on-vs-off person carry debate and I’m not looking to be convinced to not off-person carry. I’d prefer the conversation be centered around carry ‘bags’ and discreet options, and other off-person safety considerations. I supposed actually this will be discussed in class?

When I mentioned in my car, it would most certainly be in a locked trunk.

I would suggest some kind of lock box, or safe, while your bag is in the trunk.

Check out Center of Mass safes, and others like it. The trunk alone doesn't offer enough security. OMOYMMV
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I can't personally vouch for these but I have heard good things about the Wilderness Safepacker.

Link: Concealed Holster, Concealment Holsters, Pistol Holster

I do not suggest off person carry of any kind where weapons are involved. A friend and supervisor of mine died when she was jumped from behind by multiple attackers, ostensibly in a car jacking/robbery in a parking lot while Christmas shopping many years back. They stripped her of her purse to get her keys. Guess where her duty weapon, badge and ID were, and that was the weapon they used to kill her.

I have also had friends and supervisors leave their off duty weapons in their glove box or trunk when they went to a club, because they would be "drinking" and did not want to be carrying. (Could not figure that out. Police in Texas can carry anywhere except federal property {there too with permission or in a duty matter or off duty with permission of the federal officers}. I felt that they should either leave it at home if they don't trust themselves not to become inebriated or to carry it and be designated driver) Yep, you knew it, guess who had their vehicles burglarized and weapons and ID's taken.

Criminals will wait where they know people are going to park for clubs and watch from a distance for people hiding items in the glove box or trunk, then they can be into the vehicle in seconds. I have seen demos of a very young street criminal using a shaved down car key and a walk-man head set (yeah, I know, I just dated myself) who was opening car doors and trunks in five seconds.

The safest place for any weapon is secured to your body.
    A_D likes this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Quote Originally Posted by woody5484 View Post

A: Treat your bag like its a weapon because at that point it essentially is. Its easy to forget that theres a gun in there when you just want to run into the gas station or something. Letting some random looky loo swipe your bag, and your gun, cause it looks neat sitting in the seat of your vehicle is unacceptable.

B: Resist the urge to defend your man purse by letting everybody know your carrying. I catch flak for having mine but being prepared is more important to me that looking cool.
    A. Absolutely. It's a mindset you have to develop like anything else related to your gun or cc.

B. LOL (sorry, good for you!)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by AlecGuiness View Post

I’m very new to carrying; in fact my class in Sunday, so I’m not carrying anywhere but my house right now.

My question: is anyone carrying in a small backpack or other bag-like component, and in your opinion, can it be done discreetly?

I’ve purchased a Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon from a friend; I love the size, feel and look, and it can almost be a BOB or range bag if needed.

Anyway, there aren’t too many places I can carry during the week, so I am considering keeping my carry piece and a few magazines in it in my trunk, and then wear it or use my IWB holster where I can. Not metro IMO, but I can see some calling it murse-like, not that I should let that dissuade me.

TIA
    I carry a pistol and two extra magazines in a Galco Hidden Agenda sometimes. (looks like a Day Runner® planner) It's not my preferred method of carry, but there are times when it's a useful alternative.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by lordofwyr View Post
    Criminals will wait where they know people are going to park for clubs and watch from a distance for people hiding items in the glove box or trunk, then they can be into the vehicle in seconds. I have seen demos of a very young street criminal using a shaved down car key and a walk-man head set (yeah, I know, I just dated myself) who was opening car doors and trunks in five seconds.

This is very true. I saw it many times as a park ranger.

I try to not leave anything valuable in my car, period. But if I have to, I place it out of sight and I NEVER do it at my destination. I do it before I get there. This is one reason I object to businesses that are posted 'no guns.' I am not leaving my gun in my car just to shop at your store. Either I carry (signs carry no wt. here in WA) or I leave.
    lordofwyr likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Simply, If your going CC you need to find a why to carry year round with out moveing a handgun around on or off your body. If you can do that with the handgun you have find some thing you can. A handgun the size of a kahr cw series or XDSC M&PC and some others can be carried in an appendix position and covered well.

For the time you just can't carry you better have a small quality vault to lock it in . Something that can be bolted to the truck or fenderwell floor. Hope the alarm system gets someones attention then if you are broke into.

surrender to the dark side and carry the gun on you with time you will find what works for you but no gun is a good gun if you don't have it with you

VIP Member

TIA
    If your going to store it in your truck when not on you, then you need to invest in a small gun safe for your car. It is NOT a good idea to leave it unsecured in your vehicle. The windows up and doors locked is not secured.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    So what I don’t want to be is an on-vs-off person carry debate and I’m not looking to be convinced to not off-person carry. I’d prefer the conversation be centered around carry ‘bags’ and discreet options, and other off-person safety considerations. I supposed actually this will be discussed in class?
    Don't count on it. Basic carry classes actually usually don't go over carry options very well.

While I was pregnant I carried off body.

This is my bag and how I carried off body and my recommendations for those who decided to do it.

When I mentioned in my car, it would most certainly be in a locked trunk.
    Here are some recommendations for if you leave your gun in your car:

BEST
    One of the best ways of securing your firearm in your vehicle is with a car safe such as a Center of Mass Car Safe. They are very cheap, can be secured to the car and can hold quite a bit of stuff depending on the model of safe you buy. Depending on your holster you may also be able to store the entire rig in the safe and not have to remove the firearm from it's holster. This requires no or minimal handling of the firearm which is ideal.

BETTER-Than-Good
    If you choose to leave your firearm in your car and do not have a car safe I prefer to disable it in some way so that if my car is stolen it can not be immediately used by the criminal who may find it. If this disabling can be done without removing the gun from the holster it's even better. On some firearms there are key locks such as some Taurus firearms and S&W revolvers (as an example). If your firearm does have a key lock read the owner's manual carefully to make sure you are locking your gun appropriately. Put the key on your key ring or in your purse or wallet and make a habit of locking the firearm before you store it in your vehicle OUT OF SIGHT (I know that should seem very obvious but I one processes talked to a woman who left her firearm on the passenger seat of her car and was shocked when she returned to find her car broken into and her firearm gone.. be smart). This method usually requires minimal handling of the firearm (depending on the locking mechanism) which is next to ideal.

GOOD
    If you do not have a car safe or a lock on your pistol you can simply unload it by removing the cartridges from the cylinder of a revolver or removing the magazine and round from the chamber of a semi-auto. Obviously this involves a little more handling of the firearm and should be done with utmost care. If the first two options are not available to me I will go to this option and take the ammunition with me while I leave the gun in the car... Out of sight.

NOT-SO-GOOD
    The last means of disabling your gun is to disassemble it. If I'm carrying a 1911-style pistol without a firing pin safety I will slip off the back stop, remove the firing pin and take that with me while I leave the gun. Some advocate taking the barrel but that can mean completely disassembling the firearm and can be messy and time consuming and depending on your make and model can mean loosing some small parts or needing to remember to take a take-down tool with you. Remember you are doing this in a vehicle where others might see you which can add stress as a distraction (something you should try to minimize while handling your firearm). This method also requires the most handling of your firearm and should only be done as a last resort and if you are extremely familiar and comfortable with your gun handling. I have only done this method less than a half dozen times. Often I will recommend locking the gun in the trunk in a box with a padlock before I recommend disassembly though it is, of course, an option.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links