Leave gun in car at work? - Page 2

Leave gun in car at work?

This is a discussion on Leave gun in car at work? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jblives2ride I'm in the same situation only we get searched by MP's ( Military Police) I want to carry 100% of the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Leave gun in car at work?

Quote Originally Posted by jblives2ride View Post
    I'm in the same situation only we get searched by MP's ( Military Police) I want to carry 100% of the time but because of where I work it's impossible.. I have a safe inside my truck and take the occasional chance but don't tell anyone... I watch a fellow worker carry his weapon to work everyday in a motorcyle unsecured and never get caught. Federal Interstate laws say it's legal to carry a weapon in your vehicle but which federal law would win?
    IANAL, but am retired military. Your handgun - locked up or not - is absolutely forbidden on a military installation. If you are discovered, you'll have a federal felony rap to deal with - no more guns for you, let alone a carry permit. It's not worth it to me, but everyoone has their own risk tolerance.

If you are ever caught, don't be THAT guy who tries to get out of it by saying, "Yeah, but Fred has one in the saddlebag of his Softail......"
    jrclen and afojc like this.

Considering I work in a "secure area" for the Government, I don't take any firearm of any type to work.

Id look for a loop hole in company policy. My work here in WI, states that weapons are not allowed on property, WI state law says that parking structure and parking lots on company property are ok. So in the off chance, might i say huge off chance, as i am security and over 1 years have never checked in a vehicle, they search, state law over rules a companys policy. If all else fails, get. A car gun safe, last i checked is even if your company gets the police to do a search of your car, the safe is locked, no search warrent no looking in safe. But its your personal choice.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

In Kentucky thats correct, but I'm not a lawyer. Your "Home (Castle) extends to your car and tent in Kentucky and you do net have to give ground either. An Employee of the Univ. of Kentucky was fired by the University for having a gun in his car in a parking lot of the Univ. His gun never left the car. He sued and one and got his job back I believe. Some one may correct me if I'm wrong here.

This is another of those subjects covered by state law and each is different. Wisconsin wrote it into the law Employer can not stop you from keeping it in your cat even in their parking lot.
    However a few employers are trying to say it does not apply to them. No one has been tested yet.
    Know what the law is in your state follow it and protect your rights.

Both my employers have no gun policies. At the fire station, everyone is pro-gun but it is a government building so we can't carry guns. Nor would I want to, I've got enough gear to manage already. I just leave it in the car. After all, if I get in a real pinch I've got an axe :). At the night job at a convenience store, we are not to have firearms in the building at all as dictated by the corporate handbook. However, I carry mine every night because of a robbery history of the locale. A few choice others there do the same including the manager, and it is a don't ask, don't tell situation. The moment anyone finds out I have it, I will have had to use it so I am not concerned, I would rather live and be fired than the other possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    IANAL, but am retired military. Your handgun - locked up or not - is absolutely forbidden on a military installation. If you are discovered, you'll have a federal felony rap to deal with - no more guns for you, let alone a carry permit. It's not worth it to me, but everyoone has their own risk tolerance.

If you are ever caught, don't be THAT guy who tries to get out of it by saying, "Yeah, but Fred has one in the saddlebag of his Softail......"
    The above is 100% on the mark . Even LEO's are not allowed to have any fire arms in their possession with out permission from the post commander. And that is not given out very often.

I am not familiar with Iowa's laws, but there was a case in Oklahoma a few years back where the company (a large one) with a 'no guns on the premise policy' decided to search an employee's car due to a tip they received. The employee lost his job.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

I have a Center of Mass safe on it's way in the mail right now for this very question. Maine recently added the law allowing firearms to stay secured in your vehicle on company property while at work assuming it's not a gun-free zone. I'm a firefighter and don't even consider carrying on duty.

A car is a real crappy place to store a firearm. You may get away with it for years, but chances are that sooner or later, your car will be broken into by some messed up meth-head looking for .......... whatever. When that happens, you lose your gun and society has yet another armed doper to deal with. There are lock boxes on the market, but those only tend to slow down the thief. It's a risk if you're willing to take it.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    A car is a real crappy place to store a firearm. You may get away with it for years, but chances are that sooner or later, your car will be broken into by some messed up meth-head looking for .......... whatever. When that happens, you lose your gun and society has yet another armed doper to deal with. There are lock boxes on the market, but those only tend to slow down the thief. It's a risk if you're willing to take it.
    Better me filing a police report on a thief than me losing my job.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    In Florida, we have the "guns at work law." Even thought my company has a no guns policy, it even states in their handbook state law trumps company policy. This is ONLY if you are a ccw holder and the gun must be concealed in the car.

I recommend a gun vault type of safe for use when you are out of the car for an extended period of time.
    Even if you're not a ccw holder you can still keep your gun in your car in the parking lot in FL, regardless of what you're employer says (obviously unless it's a restriced area). Just has to be in some sort of container that you have to open to get at the gun... ie glovebox, gun case, holster with snap, etc...

In Minnesota it is state law that guns can't be banned in any parking lot, I would look into your state law, it may be on your side on this one like mine is!
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

I like carrying to and from work, because one never knows what might happen when on the roads. Being a woman, I cannot on-body carry without it being obvious at some point, due to our uniform requirements (khaki and polo type shirts) and moving around throughout my day. I tried keeping my weapon in my coat pocket at my desk and also in my purse, but never felt comfortable when I had to leave my area, even for a minute. I do not feel a need to carry during work, but didn't like leaving a loaded gun in my car while at work. If my car is broken into, I do not want the thief to find a loaded weapon AND I don't want to fumble with unlocking a lock box every time I get in or out of the car. The solution that works for me is the built in safety of my LC9. It has the mag disconnect safety feature, so when I get to work, I just pop out the mag and throw it in my pocket, stow the gun in my console and off I go. Once I return to my car, I can quickly be "ready to go" and if my gun should be stolen while I am at work, it would not immediately be useable.

Iowa does not appear to have a parking lot law. Give it time, this is an issue making its way through state legislatures all across the country. I think it's looking good for SD this term, it comes to the house floor this week.

Here's an interesting (but long) look at the topic, discussing the pros and cons, especially the "Private Property" and safety issues. The author's conclusion is that such laws will be found to be unconstitutional.

CONCLUSION
    Parking-lot laws are unconstitutional and unwise legislative policies. As
    the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma suggested in
    ConocoPhillips Co., courts will likely strike down such laws for violating the
    Fifth Amendment, as they constitute a taking of property without just
    compensation. Parking-lot laws also endanger the lives of both employees
    and customers and impose substantial burdens upon employers. Employers
    may be held liable for any injuries or deaths arising from the storage of guns
    in parked motor vehicles in their parking lots. Employers will thus have to
    increase spending on security-related measures in order to protect their
    employees and customers adequately. As such, state legislatures should
    refrain from enacting parking-lot laws.
    I don't buy it. Nothing is being "taken" from the business owner. For that matter, what about the property rights of the worker, the visitor - the right to have any legal thing inside their private automobile? When does a no-guns policy ever stop the disgruntled worker who walks in with a rifle and a couple pistols in in belt?

Safety? As noted in the thesis, homicides account for about 9% of workplace fatalities. 80% of those fatalities are the result of robberies, not worker on worker violence. The so-called problem keeps getting smaller by the moment.

I don't mean to demean the seriousness of any violence or fatalities, in the workplace or elsewhere, but to point out that there are much bigger problems for companies to be worried about than storage of a firearm in the vehicle belonging to a person who is lawfully able to posses it. And all the more so a CCW permit holder, who has been shown to be 1/10th (or less) as likely to commit a violent crime than the general public.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links