Leave gun in car at work?

This is a discussion on Leave gun in car at work? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Company policy does not allow weapons on company property including buildings and parking lots. This is stated in the employee handbook but is not posted ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Leave gun in car at work?

Company policy does not allow weapons on company property including buildings and parking lots. This is stated in the employee handbook but is not posted
    or discussed in any other way. The company has never searched or attempted to search an employees car for any reason. It would seem that this policy is
    stated mostly to cover the companies ass rather than because they have some anti gun bias. I want to keep my gun secured in my car while at work so I can
    have it with me when I travel to and from and because I frequently run errands on the way home. My feeling is that I have about as close to zero chance as
    possible of this being a problem but I am curious what others would do in this situation.

I know I have read other threads regarding this but those seem to come from a much more hostile anti gun environment.

Maybe it's just me, but as soon as I bank on anything being next to impossible, the next day, the impossible happens.

Your results may differ.
    afojc and preachertim like this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

My employer says no guns in your car. I have kept mine in my car everyday for the last 6 years. Never know when your going to need it. I tell no one at work and it is my secret.
    PatAz, Rhcmlc and oneshot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but as soon as I bank on anything being next to impossible, the next day, the impossible happens.

Your results may differ.
    That is why I posted this. I tend to be cautious and not a risk taker except maybe on the motorcycle. I am trying to carry as much as possible but I don't
    get out much except for work. As it is probably 90% of my carry time is around the house.

If your company has a Public Parking Lot that vendors employees and visitors can freely go into and out of there is no issue at least in the state of Georgia. Unless the parking lot is secured with fence and access points (card access) the signs don't mean anything. Me I have "Life Saving" tools in my car all of the time and never discuss it with other employees and will not park into a controlled parking lot. If they want to search my car, my answer is to get a "Court Order" and then get into it and drive away as there are no armed security personnel on the property which is also a liability issue on their issue. If an unarmed security guard tries to impede my egress into my car my Cellphone video will record my response which will not likely be nice as I will spray him down with Pepper Spray and then leave. This all occurs on Public Property by people not empowered to do anything to impede me which I will take as an intruder trying to stop me from doing my business. I will then call 911 and report the incident. Next thing is to go to local TV with the video. Big companies hate being splashed over TV.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I'm in the same situation only we get searched by MP's ( Military Police) I want to carry 100% of the time but because of where I work it's impossible.. I have a safe inside my truck and take the occasional chance but don't tell anyone... I watch a fellow worker carry his weapon to work everyday in a motorcyle unsecured and never get caught. Federal Interstate laws say it's legal to carry a weapon in your vehicle but which federal law would win?
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Most people don't realize it, but just pulling into a post office parking lot to drop a letter in the outside mail box is a federal criminal offense if you have any type of gun in the vehicle or on your person (and not a bona fide LEO). I'd certainly not be carrying on my person (by leaving it in the car) if I went inside any post office, but I'm not going to leave my gun at home every time I think I have to stop and mail a letter or run in to buy some stamps.

Almost everything you do each day (even driving your vehicle) is a calculated risk, so just apply a little common sense about keeping your gun locked in the car while at work. As long as you don't work at any "restricted" place where having a gun in the car is a criminal offense and your company isn't a gated, security-conscious place that subjects employee vehicles to random inspections, then I'd certainly be willing to take the calculated risk of keeping my gun locked and secured in the car for the same reasons you mentioned.

Only thing to remember is that you would be in dire straits if you ever had to defend yourself while on company property. However, if my life was in such immediate jeopardy that I had to use deadly force to save it while on company property - then screw the job because I can't apply for a new life.

If you leave your gun in the car, please lock it up in a Center of Mass, Secure-It, GunVault type of safe. It won't stop a determined thief, but it will discourage a snatch and grab type of thief. Do everything possible to keep it out of the hands of the wrong person.
    afojc likes this.

i would never want it to get stolen so.....no
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I notice that there are a lot of newer members posting in this thread. The subject of parking lots comes up every few weeks, so you may want to use the search function to find some of these older threads as they could have good insights.

In a nutshell, my take is this:
    1 - does your state have a parking lot provision that prevents an employer from prohibiting you? If so, it becomes a moot point.
    2 - do you work in a "restricted" location as Eaglebeak put it. Restricted typically meaning school, govt or other military where having it even in your car can cost you more than your job?
    3 - if it is an issue can you utilize an alternate parking?
    At this point it comes down to one of property rights vs personal rights. I, and I think most, believe that your personal vehicle is your property even when parked in a company lot. If you do get searched, for what ever reason, it may cost you your job. One option to consider, though, it may not be completely practical is to send yourself an envelope and then put your weapon in it (I think it would need to be sealed). While you may be searched, they don't have any grounds to open your mail.

Keep in mind that if it is stolen, you may need / want to report it, which will disclose that you have it and your employer may become aware of this fact.

Ultimately, there is no right or wrong answer here. It is something that you need to decide for yourself and weigh the relative risks.
    Note, in 15 years of full time employment, my vehicle has never been searched once and theft is a bigger concern for me.

In Florida, we have the "guns at work law." Even thought my company has a no guns policy, it even states in their handbook state law trumps company policy. This is ONLY if you are a ccw holder and the gun must be concealed in the car.

I recommend a gun vault type of safe for use when you are out of the car for an extended period of time.
    PatAz likes this.

A Center of Mass safe ($30?) that is well-hidden will solve all your problems...you can then be armed to/from work.
    DO NOT mention or talk about guns with anyone at work.
    preachertim and PatAz like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

TJx
    Quote Originally Posted by Roguestew View Post
    My employer says no guns in your car. I have kept mine in my car everyday for the last 6 years. Never know when your going to need it. I tell no one at work and it is my secret.
    Legally in KY, you have that right.
    PatAz likes this.

VIP Member
    Not sure about Iowa's laws, but several states have adopted laws that prohibit employers from precluding you from locking a weapon in your car. That having been said, if they don't like it, they will find some other reason to let you go so they don't violate the law. If they were to become aware of it due to a search, then you should be covered, but by all means, don't talk about it. If Iowa does not have such a parking lot law, then you are probably ruled by your employers rules.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    An employer will never find a firearm stowed in my vehicle during work hours, guaranteed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links