Victim kills teen robber on trail, police say

This is a discussion on Victim kills teen robber on trail, police say within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A 65-year-old man shot two teens, one fatally, as they tried to rob him Wednesday morning on a trail near the Schuylkill River, police said. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Victim kills teen robber on trail, police say

A 65-year-old man shot two teens, one fatally, as they tried to rob him Wednesday morning on a trail near the Schuylkill River, police said.

"The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

2. Remove Ads

"The teens knocked the man off his bicycle, and two of them assaulted him.
    The man pulled out a handgun and shot them both."

Those dirtbag teens were definitely going down the wrong path in life.

Instance justice was served correctly and immediately here...I have no problems with this incident.
    Buckj, pistola, Sig 210 and 4 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The victim needs more training , but I have no problem with the outcome. This type grows into an adult predator and the outcome will be the same the only difference is the number of victims.
    " Life is tough and it gets tougher if your stupid." John Wayne.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mook012 View Post
    The victim needs more training , but I have no problem with the outcome. This type grows into an adult predator and the outcome will be the same the only difference is the number of victims.
    Why more training? He did just fine. He had the weapon with him, knew how to use it, had made the commitment to survive, so he was prepared. Attacked by 2, had the skills to deploy his weapon and successfully defend himself, didn't shoot at anybody running away, didn't hit any bystanders, didn't chase the one or two that ran away like a mall ninja. It doesn't hardly get better than that. What's to not like? I'd give the guy an A.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

This is a typical attack/robbery tactic by thugs. Wait for the bicycle rider/jogger to be coming down the trail when no one else is around, then sandbag them from the side or behind, giving them the element of surprise in the attack. Too many Joggers in Austin have their headsets on and are completely oblivious to their surroundings and make easy targets.

This is also an attack that usually assures an unarmed victim, since trail riding bicyclists and joggers generally are wearing as little and light weight clothing as manageable for the weather, which on Town Lake in Austin can be 79 degrees in January. I am glad that the old man was packing, because I promise you he was not their first victim, but for one of them, at least, it will be the last.
    Hopyard and Fitch like this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Once again, hooray for the old guy! There are some outstanding juveniles coming up in the world...but there are also some that need dealt with. Good job dealing with these punks, and coming out alive.
    Fitch likes this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mook012 View Post
    Do tell, in what area is the victim's training lacking?
    Inspector71 and Fitch like this.

VIP Member
    With more training, he might have gotten them all before they turned and ran.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I think he did fine, he's ok, and still able to ride his bike.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    With more training, he might have gotten them all before they turned and ran.
    Training to "have gotten them all before they turned and ran" is not the goal. That is not the self defense mission. Our goal is to end the attack and survive as undamaged as we can under the circumstances which is exactly what this guy did. That's it. Period. Full Stop. Anybody thinking and training with the goal to "get as many as possible before they escape" is making a big mistake. That attitude frankly scares me and puts the rest of us in jepordy - that is vigilantism, not self defense.

If we are able to gather information that permits law enforcement to track down and apprehend those that left the scene as a result of our efforts without compromising our real mission which is to end the attack and survive, that's gravy. In this case they got the third guy. I don't know where the information came from, but he's in custody.

Well done to both the victim and law enforcement.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Cops: Man, 65, kills teen who knocks him off bicycle

Sad some bleeding heart or family member will tell us " He was just getting his life back together"

The thugs got what they deserved and families oughta be glad there aren't 3 dead

Cops: Man, 65, kills teen who knocks him off bicycle - US news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

It was a suttle atempt at humor.
    " Life is tough and it gets tougher if your stupid." John Wayne.

I have to agree with you Satchman...

VIP Member
    It ticks me off how the article is titled in a way to suggest that the man over-reacted. "Man, 65, assaulted by group of teens, killing one" seems more accurate.

Oh goodness me, why didn't he try "de-escalating", and conflict resolution?
    kb2wji likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links