Many relying less on police, more on personal protection from concealed weapons

This is a discussion on Many relying less on police, more on personal protection from concealed weapons within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Many relying less on police, more on personal protection from concealed weapons | News | Salisbury News...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Many relying less on police, more on personal protection from concealed weapons

The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I hope they didn't spend a lot of money to come to that conclusion!
    wmhawth, jem102 and JerryMac like this.

Remember that our Supreme Court of the US has ruled that the police have no duty to protect you as an individual. Their job is to "protect society" in general. Your own personal protection is left to you.

That is all well and good, if you are in a state that allows you to carry the wherewithal to do that.

If you live in a State or City that forbids ownership or carrying of firearms for self defense, or in many cases requires you to be a good victim and run out of your house or jump out of your car and run if they come barging in, well, first, I blame you for still living there, and second, I hope you believe in guardian angels, because when the bad guy(s) come for you or yours, your bare fists become insignificant really fast when confronted by many attackers, or just one with a weapon.

I have learned over the years that I do not trust my government leaders or even the local police/sheriff's departments to protect me or mine, even though I am a cop, or maybe because of that - anyone remember the Katrina disarmings of honest citizens by the police at the command of their leaders? Believe me, there were plenty of Texas Peace Officers throwing objects at their TV Screens when word of that particular piece of fecal matter came across the airwaves, and those words directed at the local authorities and Police Commanders were NOT nice.

And I really do not trust politicians in Washington who surround themselves with armed security while wanting to deny me the right to arm myself for self and family protection.
    sgb, mjb65, Ksthumper and 7 others like this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

As it should be.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I joined the Police community in 1983....back then it was reactive and not proactive. I don't remember a day where, back in 1983, we were always running 5 to 10 calls down....now it's about 15 to 25 and if your house or car gets burged...come in and make a counter report.

Katrina ought to have made everyone realize you are on your own. Every dept has a policy that when s*** hits the fan you are required to come in...over 50% of New Orleans' PD didn't come in. I believe that will the case everywhere.
    jrclen and MisterFleas like this.

Goin through the Rodney King L.A riots years back and hearing police chief Gates say in effect "Your on your own we dont have enough manpower", i made a promise to myself to never be without the means to protect myself. I've had guns for home protection all my adult life but only this past year did i graduate to conceal carry. Mainly because here in Missouri you can get a permit to carry very easy or if you want your allowed to open carry. And katrina for sure showed what can happen when honest citizens are disarmed. Lets say i have seen the light,better late than never..
    mjb65 and Richard58 like this.

I disagree with the article. We rely on the police to do what they do. As much as we ever did. Investigate a crime, and arrest the perpetrator. The idea they will come running in time to save your life is just wishful thinking. The difference in society is more people are refusing to be a helpless victim to violent attacks. I don't want to be the dead guy laying there while the officer questions witnesses and writes the facts in his note book.
    genauwiedu likes this.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

sgb
    We don't have Police (Peace) Officers anymore. They've been replaced with Law Enforcement Officers. In either case it was never either's place to protect the individual.
    barstoolguru likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I didn't like the phrase that writer used in stating that most people are "scared of something," when quantifying why people may have a gun for self defense.

I found the following definition of the word scared on line: thrown into or being in a state of fear, fright, or panic....

My experience is that scared creatures hide in a corner or under an object, run away in blind panic or become completely frozen like a deer in the headlights because they are overwhelmed by fear.

What I see is that people are waking up and becoming knowledgeable that the illusion of safety put forward by the gun grabbers and the media is just that, an illusion.

People who seek a weapon for self defense and a carry permit are concerned for their safety and are taking the responsibility to be their own protector and the protector of their family and friends.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Quote Originally Posted by lordofwyr View Post
    Remember that our Supreme Court of the US has ruled that the police have no duty to protect you as an individual. Their job is to "protect society" in general. Your own personal protection is left to you.

That is all well and good, if you are in a state that allows you to carry the wherewithal to do that.

If you live in a State or City that forbids ownership or carrying of firearms for self defense, or in many cases requires you to be a good victim and run out of your house or jump out of your car and run if they come barging in, well, first, I blame you for still living there, and second, I hope you believe in guardian angels, because when the bad guy(s) come for you or yours, your bare fists become insignificant really fast when confronted by many attackers, or just one with a weapon.

I have learned over the years that I do not trust my government leaders or even the local police/sheriff's departments to protect me or mine, even though I am a cop, or maybe because of that - anyone remember the Katrina disarmings of honest citizens by the police at the command of their leaders? Believe me, there were plenty of Texas Peace Officers throwing objects at their TV Screens when word of that particular piece of fecal matter came across the airwaves, and those words directed at the local authorities and Police Commanders were NOT nice.

And I really do not trust politicians in Washington who surround themselves with armed security while wanting to deny me the right to arm myself for self and family protection.

Great post, especially coming from a LEO. I love it.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Seem more are waking up to the truth. Only you can prevent forest fires and only you can protect your self.
    Key words here are YOU

VIP Member
    I quit reading as soon as I opened the article and the first thing you see is "MORE PEOPLE PACKING HEAT". I find that phrase not only annoying but to be honest offensive. We're not 1920's Chicago Gangsters. We're law abiding citizens who chose to protect ourselves.
    Inspector71 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. At least that's the case here in CA.

Totus vestri castrum es nostrum possessia
    Rhcmlc and BigJon10125 like this.

when seconds count the cops are minutes away, 'nuff said
    .45acpguy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I quit reading as soon as I opened the article and the first thing you see is "MORE PEOPLE PACKING HEAT". I find that phrase not only annoying but to be honest offensive. We're not 1920's Chicago Gangsters. We're law abiding citizens who chose to protect ourselves.
    I prefer the term "Roscoe" myself...or "gatt".
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links