LEO question - if I have general interaction with an officer while CC...

This is a discussion on LEO question - if I have general interaction with an officer while CC... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I say no, unless required by law. I deal with LEO's nearly every day while CC-ing. Just like with any other person I encounter, If ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: LEO question - if I have general interaction with an officer while CC...

I say no, unless required by law. I deal with LEO's nearly every day while CC-ing. Just like with any other person I encounter, If it's concealed, and I'm legal, it's not relevant to the situation. Why make it an issue? Do you inform everyone else you encounter, or expect other carriers to inform you?
    9MMare likes this.

2. Remove Ads

In philadelphia you are not required to by law, but its a courtesy thing. Just avoid terms like, I have my gun, gat, heater, and smoker, or you could just hand him your CC license and not say a word. If you choose not to say anything thats perfectly fine.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Funny thing is, I know a lot on this forum will carry in a friends house that they know don't like guns but they won't be courteous and tell their friend about it but will tell the LEO when they don't have to.
    I firmly believe in not informing a LEO if not required by law.

I also have been stopped (3 times), not informed, they read it on their computers, and didnt get a ticket.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    Yep! A few months ago, my wife and her sister were going to the Dayton Intl Airport to pick up their brother who was flying in for a visit. It was a dark and rainy night (no, this isn't a mystery story) and they missed their turnoff to the airport. Since there wasn't any traffic, my wife did a U-turn--and promptly got stopped by an unseen patrol car. Although she has her CHL, she was not carrying at the time, and therefore did NOT have to inform the officer. However, she rolled down the window, kept her hands on the wheel, and when he approached, she informed him that she had her CHL but was not carrying at the time. He thanked her for informing him (he would have known she had a CHL when he ran the plates anyway), asked where they were going, and let her go with a verbal warning. Not even a written warning. I'm certain being curteous and considerate and "one of the good guys" went a long way in her not getting a ticket!
    Ohio is a must-inform state, but it's not required if you're not carrying. So you are proud of the fact that, what...you don't know the law? Or that you'd sell out your rights just to not get a well-deserved ticket?

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I don't make it a habit of getting stopped by the police, but the last time I did, I waited for him to approach my vehicle. I sat with both hands in plain sight on the steering wheel. The first question he asked was,"If I had anything in my possession that could hurt him". I told him that I had a resident CCP and I was pocket carrying a J-frame revolver. He said, "just leave it there", and that was it. I already had my wallet out with my Dr. Lic and CCP cards.

Just my way of looking at this.
    Comply with the state law.
    In my state unless ask there is no requirement to inform. How ever I am going to. One I had the heck beat out of me while open carrying in Madison with in the law 100%.
    I would not want some young or over worked officer to pick up some sign I might be carrying. They are already going to training on how to look for signs of people that are CC.
    The chance that office may take more aggressive action that just asking is not worth the risk. I am no coward, I have learned to pick my fights. This would not be one of them.
    I live in a state where a few Chiefs of police have made it clear they will arrest any CC they can for any reason the can dream up so I not going to give them an opening .
    Your life your call.
    For me It will always be " office before we go any farther I wish to inform you I am a CC holeder and I am armed"
    DaveH likes this.

My wife and I were out on a paved county road last weekend and had some mimor car trouble.We were stuckon the road going up the hill and it was not a safe place to be stopped in the dark. A local sheriff pulled behind us with lights on and came to see what the problem was, I told him was had happened and we had a discussion about how stupid a place this was to be stopped. Never asked for any ID. My son was on his way to help so the officer said he would stay while he could because we were in such a dangerous place. When my son showed up, I got out of the truck and the officer came back up asking if the new arrival was my son. I told him he was and BTW I know you didn't ask for ID, he said I hadn't done anything wrong. I told him I had a CCP and was carrying. He responded that that was ok and I didn't need to inform. I told him that in his position, he deserved to know. I figure I may be crawling all over this truck and he may see it anyway. He was grateful, waited until we got the truck running and was very sincere,polite and helpful. I have had other passing encouters with LEO's when I did not inform because they were not interested specifically in me. I just thought it was the right thing to do out there on the road when he was by himself, in the dark,with an unknown person stuck on the road.
    Buckj and DaveH like this.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by nepatternmak View Post
    My wife and I were out on a paved county road last weekend and had some mimor car trouble.We were stuckon the road going up the hill and it was not a safe place to be stopped in the dark. A local sheriff pulled behind us with lights on and came to see what the problem was, I told him was had happened and we had a discussion about how stupid a place this was to be stopped. Never asked for any ID. My son was on his way to help so the officer said he would stay while he could because we were in such a dangerous place. When my son showed up, I got out of the truck and the officer came back up asking if the new arrival was my son. I told him he was and BTW I know you didn't ask for ID, he said I hadn't done anything wrong. I told him I had a CCP and was carrying. He responded that that was ok and I didn't need to inform. I told him that in his position, he deserved to know. I figure I may be crawling all over this truck and he may see it anyway. He was grateful, waited until we got the truck running and was very sincere,polite and helpful. I have had other passing encouters with LEO's when I did not inform because they were not interested specifically in me. I just thought it was the right thing to do out there on the road when he was by himself, in the dark,with an unknown person stuck on the road.
    Would you have disclosed to a good Samaritan that stopped to assist?
    mlr1m likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member
    In NC you have to inform.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

I am still a cop, and here is how I see it and want it handled if I am the responding officer.

Where ever your pistol is located when the accident (etc.) occurs, leave it riiiiiiigggghhhhhht there. Don't touch it. Don't fiddle with it. Do not expose it and definitely do not try to move it.

Here is why.

If you go to take it off and put it in a glove box, someone WILL see it, and of course the second they do, they will be on 911 saying that there is a guy "pulling" a gun. forget them saying, "Oh, I see, he is just putting it up." They will yell into the phone that you are PULLING A GUN RIGHT NOW!!!!!

Next, if it is on your body covered by a shirt or jacket, make sure it is still covered.

My brother, a Houston Police Officer, was off duty in plain clothes with a Smith and Wesson Mod. 66 on his right hip, covered (he thought) by his shirt, when he stopped to assist with a particularly bad accident until some on duty officers arrived.

While standing next to one of the vehicles, he heard behind him, "POLICE! DO NOT MOVE OR REACH TOWARD YOUR BELT LINE!" His response was, "My badge is on my belt in front. I am off duty." He was very careful not to move. He was disarmed from behind and then they checked to see if he had a badge and ID. His gun was then returned. Unknown to him, his shirt had ridden up over the revolver when he bent over to see if the person in the accident was alive.

So, no, I never advise touching the gun. If it is a must disclose state, then do so calmly only to the police when they arrive. I do not even advise telling the 911 operator because I know how things can get twisted between the operator and the dispatcher. Just keep your hands visible and do not move fast toward pockets or wallets and mention it casually to responding officers and and follow their instructions.
    Buckj, JDE101 and DaveH like this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Don't say a thing unless you are required by your state .... and at that point hand the cop your CW permit

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
    Ohio is a must-inform state, but it's not required if you're not carrying. So you are proud of the fact that, what...you don't know the law? Or that you'd sell out your rights just to not get a well-deserved ticket?
    Courtesy and caution are always well-advised in a must-inform state like Ohio, where the concealed carry laws are sometimes vague, ambiguous and ever-changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
    If you voluntarily notify the officer that you are armed you are in no way giving up your rights. The fact that you do not have to notify does not take away your right to notify if you choose to do so.

That said if I were to be in the position of the person in the original post I would not notify.

Michael
    Last edited by mlr1m; January 29th, 2012 at 12:39 AM. Reason: I made an oopsie
    DaveH likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I live in a state where you don't have to tell an officer you are carrying ,I do it out of curiosity as I believe it will
    make the stop go easier for all involved.
    DaveH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    I couldnt say it better than skysoldier. Post #3. I'll never understand why one would only wish to notify if legally bound to do so. Talk about getting off on the wrong foot if the LEO figures it out on his own.
    - I don't know the officer and I don't know how they will react to my carrying a firearm. A pistol permit will not suddenly make them my friend or make them treat me better. I've been pulled over three times since receiving my permit. Every time, I simply was polite, cooperated fully and was simply given a verbal warning. One of the stops was less than 1 minute. I can't see how telling the officer about my permit would have made things quicker or smoother. If my state doesn't require me to notify, I'm not going to.

I believe that the majority of officers out there are honest and good, but with the recent press in CT of bad apples, I'm not going to risk it. Especially being a minority.
    9MMare likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links