LEO question - if I have general interaction with an officer while CC...

This is a discussion on LEO question - if I have general interaction with an officer while CC... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I used to be a sales rep covering a huge territory. I drove 50-60,000 miles a year. I expected to get stopped at least once ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: LEO question - if I have general interaction with an officer while CC...

I used to be a sales rep covering a huge territory. I drove 50-60,000 miles a year. I expected to get stopped at least once per year since I drove the equivalent of five or more years of average driving. Add to that my job as a surgical trauma rep where I needed to get the equipment there in a hurry in many cases so the speed limit was often ignored. We had no cc law so legal cc was not a concern or option. I usually keep my wallet in the console so when I would get stopped I kept my hands on the wheel and immediately informed the officer that my wallet was in the console and how should I proceed. I know two people that do the same thing and without thinking reach into the console to get their wallet only to find a gun pointed at their head. This happened before we could cc and the likelihood of encountering a gun was much lower. Now I am not going to reach for my wallet and possibly expose my weapon without first informing the officer of the situation and asking his advice on how to proceed. In WI the police do not know if you have a permit even when they are running your DL and cannot make an official inquiry without specific reasons that are spelled out in the law.

No I do not run around telling everyone that I carry but by the same token the vast majority of them will not be in a position to shootme if they are surprised by an accidental flash in an already high stress situation.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Only if required to do so by law.
    THE ABOVE QUOTE FROM OUR ESTEEMED MEMBER IS YOUR ANSWER SHORT AND SWEET. G-d knows how many times we have been down this road from all sorts of directions but you open your mouth or offer more than is required you are leaving yourself open to conclusions and other legal actions that you do not even realize.

VIP Member
    If you are in a "Must Inform" state, then as long as you are talking to them in an official function, you need to inform them your carrying. In the 2 examples you gave, you are talking to them in an official capacity and need to inform them. If your just passing the time of day at a convenience store, coffee shop or someplace else, that is not considered "official" duty and no need to inform is required.

That being said, even though I am not required to by law in Virginia, if I am dealing with a LEO in an official capacity I will inform.
    DaveH and Mike1956 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
    Ohio is a must-inform state, but it's not required if you're not carrying. So you are proud of the fact that, what...you don't know the law? Or that you'd sell out your rights just to not get a well-deserved ticket?
    Both my wife and I know the law quite well. She kept her hands on the wheel and informed the officer to be polite and to put him at ease, not because she was giving up her rights, didn't know the law, or to try and get out of a well-deserved ticket. LEOs have families they want to go home to at the end of the day, have a job that is stressful enough as it is, and I see nothing wrong about being polite, putting them at ease in a potentially stressful situation, and treating them as I would like to be treated if I were in their position. And ya, I'm proud of the fact my wife and I treat LEOs like human beings--not that we don't know the law, sell out our rights, or want to get out of a ticket.
    DaveH likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
    Ohio is a must-inform state, but it's not required if you're not carrying. So you are proud of the fact that, what...you don't know the law? Or that you'd sell out your rights just to not get a well-deserved ticket?
    You are not giving up your rights by informing a LEO you are carrying. If thats how you want to look at it, look at it this way. If you "give up your rights" and inform the LEO, maybe he'll "give up his right" to write you a ticket. Courtesy is often times met with courtesy.

I would much rather someone tell me they are armed, than have me figure it out by myself. Yes, carrying legally is legal. You arent doing anything wrong. Walking around telling everyone they suck is also legal, and within your rights. There are just better ways to go about business.

When someone informs me they are carrying, I respond with "thank you for telling me" I ask where it is, and ask that it stays there. Thats the end of it. If I see the butt of your gun and you havent told me, my alert status goes up. I dont know you from Adam yet.

Nobody here will argue that you can keep quiet about it if not legally bound to notify. But, I think the general attitude is that if you notify, it is appreciated. Maybe you'll be met with more appreciation in return.
    JDE101 and DaveH like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    You are not giving up your rights by informing a LEO you are carrying. If thats how you want to look at it, look at it this way. If you "give up your rights" and inform the LEO, maybe he'll "give up his right" to write you a ticket. Courtesy is often times met with courtesy.
    I think the last part of your sentence is what I don't like. I f I am courteous and polite at a stop which I always am, then shouldn't I get off with out a ticket also? Why does telling the LEO you are armed make somebody more apt to not get a ticket? Is that professional. I don't think so. It is called kissing butt to exact a favor. You are the one thatalluded to it by implying being "courteous" he might not give ya a ticket.
    9MMare likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I think the last part of your sentence is what I don't like. I f I am courteous and polite at a stop which I always am, then shouldn't I get off with out a ticket also? Why does telling the LEO you are armed make somebody more apt to not get a ticket? Is that professional. I don't think so. It is called kissing butt to exact a favor. You are the one thatalluded to it by implying being "courteous" he might not give ya a ticket.
    Kissing butt? How is being courteous "kissing butt"? Putting those tinted windows down, dome light on, license ready is not "kissing butt" either. Its courteous. Will that alone determine if you get a ticket? Nope. What i'm saying is that you are more likely to get cut some slack if you are courteous, polite, and easy to work with. Nothing will get you out of a ticket every time. Informing is just one more way to be easy going, thus decreasing your odds of getting a driving award.
    DaveH likes this.

Kissing butt? How is being courteous "kissing butt"? Putting those tinted windows down, dome light on, license ready is not "kissing butt" either. Its courteous. Will that alone determine if you get a ticket? Nope. What i'm saying is that you are more likely to get cut some slack if you are courteous, polite, and easy to work with. Nothing will get you out of a ticket every time. Informing is just one more way to be easy going, thus decreasing your odds of getting a driving award.
    Re-read my post. If I am already being polite and courteous do I get brownie points for telling the LEO I am carrying. That is what I am saying. Let me just turn the question around.
    Is it discourteous to not inform a LEO of your permit and firearm? Think of it like that. If it is not discourteous and he then finds out for whatever reason why is it a factor at that point?

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Informing isn't going to get you out of a ticket in most cases. If you are in your registered vehicle the cop pulling you over will likely already know that you have a CPL based on them running the license plate and then running the registered owners name which will reveal that you have a permit. Once I know that you have a CPL the first question I'll ask is if you are carrying. As a LEO doing a traffic stop I want to know everything there is to know about the possibly of a weapon other than my own being around. There has been more than one time that I issued a ticket and the person got crazy mad about it. If the person is polite and straight up on things I would likely cut them some slack and issue them a 5 over ticket verse a 10 over. Of it I pulled them over for something other than a moving violation, just say hey get your tail light fixed. Bottom line is that if you hand over your ID they are going to run a background check in most cases to check for warrants. During that check they are going to find out your have a CPL so you are not hiding anything anyway. Just say hey I have my CPL and I'm carrying. Its not like they are going to arrest you for having a valid permit and you are lawfully carrying a weapon on that permit.
    DaveH likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I think of it as a matter of courtesy. I know I would want to know if someone was carrying if the roles were reversed and I was said officer. Like what has already been said here before, I'm not going to stop a LEO in the convenience store or Wal-Mart and say, "Hey, I've got a license to carry and doing so right now." But if I was talking to him in an official capacity then I would just show him my CCDW along with my driver's license in the case of a speeding ticket or just tell him I have a license to carry and am doing so now in other circumstances. After thinking about it, I"d probably say something like: "As a courtesy to you, I want you to know I have a license to carry and am doing so right now." Be sincere when saying it and I believe most if not all LEOs will respect your well meaning intentions.
    DaveH likes this.

sgb
    Well if it's simply being courteous then y'all must be informing everyone you meet, being such courteous people and all.
    suntzu and 9MMare like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    I think of it as a matter of courtesy. I know I would want to know if someone was carrying if the roles were reversed and I was said officer. Like what has already been said here before, I'm not going to stop a LEO in the convenience store or Wal-Mart and say, "Hey, I've got a license to carry and doing so right now." But if I was talking to him in an official capacity then I would just show him my CCDW along with my driver's license in the case of a speeding ticket or just tell him I have a license to carry and am doing so now in other circumstances. After thinking about it, I"d probably say something like: "As a courtesy to you, I want you to know I have a license to carry and am doing so right now." Be sincere when saying it and I believe most if not all LEOs will respect your well meaning intentions.
    See, I don't get it. The logic behind informing is so the officer is not surprised. During a stop I would assume his SA is high anyway becasue of the stop. But if you are talking to a LEO in a doughnut shop or a store you will not notify him???How does that make sense. WOouldn't he be more suspicious now if he did se you with a weapon in let us just say an area that has a lot of gun crime recently? Please try to edumacate me. It don;t make sense.

How am I being rude by not informing him? How is his mind any more at ease knowing I'm armed than not? He HAS to assume everyone he stops is armed, to survive.

You assume he wants to know. Why? We've had cops on here say both actually, yes and no.

I just see it as a way to complicate things further. No way do I inform if I dont have to. And I was proven correct 3 weeks ago in my car accident. It took me a week to get my gun back, luckily, the day before a 3 day holiday weekend.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

It's simple. Follow the law. In a 'no inform' state you do not inform. In an inform state while not carrying, do not inform if unarmed. Why the controversy? If I was a LEO, I'd want folks to be law-abiding and consistent. Do LEOs not KNOW what the law of the state in which they work is? Do they expect people to inform if the law does not require it? I'd want people to be consistent and do just what they are supposed to do. BY INFORMING when it's not required, you are TEACHING LEOs to not expect to have people follow the law, kiss butt or whatever. You are disgracing all those who fought for your rights by being a kiss-up and hoping not to get a WELL-DESERVED ticket for making an illegal U-Turn.

sgb: I have informed the owner of broke down vehicle I stopped to help because I was going to be laying underneath the car looking at it and there was a chance my shirt would catch and reveal my CCW. I didn't know the person and wanted to prevent a panic reaction. She acted like I'd told her I was wearing tennis shoes: no panic at all. I have not had another good samaritan stop, but should that happen, if I am concerned about accidently revealing, I would inform them also. But only if they do not set off my SA in any way. If any of the above set off my SA, I will not inform them to maintain my element of surprise. Just because I carry it does not make me better than anyone else, does not entitle me to be rude or unforgiving. If I was a LEO, putting my life on the line with every traffic stop, I would want to know as much as possible. I expect others to be courteous to me, I will do the same to them. I know many will not, but that doesn't change what I know is right.
    DaveH likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links