LEO question - if I have general interaction with an officer while CC...

This is a discussion on LEO question - if I have general interaction with an officer while CC... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Yjt0189 If I have interaction with a LEO while CC i.e. I am involved a fender bender and an officer arrives or ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: LEO question - if I have general interaction with an officer while CC...

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yjt0189 View Post
    If I have interaction with a LEO while CC i.e. I am involved a fender bender and an officer arrives or I am a witness and am talking to officers, should I let the officer know I am carrying ?
    I know it depends upon State laws, but if we do not need to disclose, would it still be advisable to let them know ??
    (I am not the subject or being stopped by officer)
    From my experiences with accidents, all of the responding officers are not even worried about it even though I have shown then my permit. They are more focused on the paperwork and the well-being of those involved. But don't take my word for it. Everyone's situation is different. But I still show them my permit regardless whether I am required to disclose it or not to the officer.

2. Remove Ads

FL LEO's: does CCW come up on a plate run? It shouldn't.

I always inform. Why not? I've got nothing to hide and I've done nothing wrong except whatever stupid driving action got me pulled. I hand 'em my DL, insurance, and CWP, and never say anything except "good morning/day/etc."

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post

I always inform. Why not? I've got nothing to hide and I've done nothing wrong except whatever stupid driving action got me pulled. I hand 'em my DL, insurance, and CWP, and never say anything except "good morning/day/etc."
    NO .......
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Should the courtesy we show by informing someone that we are carrying a firearm extend to all weapons? Sheath knives, pocket or pen knives, all purpose tools containing cutting blades, box cutters etc?

Not being a jerk here. Many of the folks living in my rural carry many of these items all the time. Used for tools but could serve a dual purpose.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Should the courtesy we show by informing someone that we are carrying a firearm extend to all weapons? Sheath knives, pocket or pen knives, all purpose tools containing cutting blades, box cutters etc?

Not being a jerk here. Many of the folks living in my rural carry many of these items all the time. Used for tools but could serve a dual purpose.

Michael
    Don't forget fertilize, if pulled over by Homeland security they might feel more comftorable

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Running the plate itself will not. Most times the LEO or dispatcher will run the name of the registered owner of that vehicle as well. That will likely show that you do have a valid CPL.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    Running the plate itself will not. Most times the LEO or dispatcher will run the name of the registered owner of that vehicle as well. That will likely show that you do have a valid CPL.
    Incorrect
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I recommend just following the law. In VA, we don't have to inform and I don't. My CHP is connected to my driver's license in VA, so if an LEO runs it he will find out. That's only happened once and neither of us said anything about firearms. We were both courteous and professional, which made for a favorable encounter. Similar circumstance due to a vehicle issue in FL years ago, same outcome - courteous encounter and everyone left happy.

At the core of this issue is the 4th Amendment. It's nobody's business what's in my vehicle or on my person, etc., and that includes LEOs except under specific and very limited circumstances. VA has excellent laws along those lines. Other states not so much. Everyone should obey the laws wherever they live or travel. I'm always courteous, but I also want to go home to my family at the end of the day, preferably without surrendering my civil rights.
    9MMare likes this.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Quote Originally Posted by TBob View Post
    At the core of this issue is the 4th Amendment. It's nobody's business what's in my vehicle or on my person, etc., and that includes LEOs except under specific and very limited circumstances. VA has excellent laws along those lines. Other states not so much. Everyone should obey the laws wherever they live or travel. I'm always courteous, but I also want to go home to my family at the end of the day, preferably without surrendering my civil rights.
    - That's exactly how I feel. There have been several posts here that some departments check the serial number of firearms. I bought all of my firearms new. I also have no interest in being possibly disarmed by an officer who may not be familiar with my firearm and I have no interest in staying for an additional amount of time while the serial number is being checked.

I haven't had the experience of being pulled over since I began carrying, but if I were stopped, I'd inform the officer. He would find out anyway that I had a permit.

I help with several public services activities such as helping organize parades, CERT drills, etc and have been in conversations many times with LEOs while carrying. I chose to keep that fact to myself. There is no requirement to inform in my state, which I see as a good thing.

IMO, I think in most situations, its best to notify the officer. Here in WI especially, since its a new circumstance for the public and officers to deal with. Facilitating a positive encounter can go a long way in putting an officer at ease. I would prefer proactive notice vs. me accidentally exposing the firearm and raising the stress level.

I am also big about being discrete. If I was involved in the accident, there is a good chance my first encounter with the officer will be in the presence of others. He would ask for my DL, and I would hand him that plus my CC license, without a word about the firearm unless prompted. I would hope by that action he would understand I didn't want attention to it.

On Christmas Day, I had two encounters with LEOs. I was pulled over in the morning by a state trooper on my way to pick up my sister. I had a close friend in the car and wanted the issue to be private. Officer asked me for my DL and I handed her that plus my CC license. After she noticed it and looked back up at me, I then looked at my right hip to imply its location (all while my hands remained firmly on the steering wheel). She never mentioned it during the encounter and I was given a warning for a tail light bulb out.

The 2nd encounter was actually at my church at about midnight. I got a call from the alarm company that our sump pump alarm was going off. I went to church and fixed the issue. Came out of the building and a county sheriff pulled up. He was doing a check since its unusual to see a car in a church parking lot that late at night. We spoke briefly and I discovered he was a new officer in training (The lead officer was standing behind the passenger door....behind headlights), I offered the info, he asked where I had it and we were good. Probably chatted for another 10min on church stuff and firearms. Both officers in this encounter seemed very pro gun and pro CC.

Both encounters on this day were reasonably pleasant. I come from a family of multiple LEOs and I work with many of them in my business. I don't fall into the camp of folks that fear officers. I'm used to working with them and respect them, as well as their duty. You are not giving up any rights by sharing the info, just taking a proactive approach to keep everyone at ease.

Someone mentioned knives and other concealables: unless it was a rambo knife strapped to my hip or perhaps a taser gun, I wouldn't mention it. A typical pocket knife, razor blade, etc., doesn't usually draw as much concern as an unknown firearm.

Also to note, on both encounters, I was never asked for my firearm serial numbers. Not sure if that is policy for some departments, but if I was not suspected of a crime, I would be concerned about the ask.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by discoboxer View Post
    SNIP
    Came out of the building and a county sheriff pulled up. He was doing a check since its unusual to see a car in a church parking lot that late at night.
    SNIP
    Back when my son worked 1600-0000 I'd meet him at the local garage 0200, or so, on Tuesdays to drop off his vehicle for maintenance, inspection, or other work, when needed.

Over time, got to know the Deputy on that shift rather quickly.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links