LEO question - if I have general interaction with an officer while CC...

This is a discussion on LEO question - if I have general interaction with an officer while CC... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I have interaction with a LEO while CC i.e. I am involved a fender bender and an officer arrives or I am a witness ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: LEO question - if I have general interaction with an officer while CC...

LEO question - if I have general interaction with an officer while CC...

If I have interaction with a LEO while CC i.e. I am involved a fender bender and an officer arrives or I am a witness and am talking to officers, should I let the officer know I am carrying ?
    I know it depends upon State laws, but if we do not need to disclose, would it still be advisable to let them know ??
    (I am not the subject or being stopped by officer)

2. Remove Ads

I would just put my weapon(s) in the glove box, close it, and don't worry about it.
    ironmike86 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    If you are in a must inform state then yes inform him. As a former deputy and having lots of cop friends, I would say inform regardless of the state law. It will only put the officers mind at ease knowing that someone is carrying. If you give him your ID such as a auto accident he is going to run it and find out anyway. Just say " excuse me, I am carrying a weapon on my (insert state) cpl license and it is located at __________. Most officers depending on the situation will just disregard it and go on with the contact.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

I would say search is your friend...this topic has been discussed numerous times and I suspect the responses will not change.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

sgb
    Only if required to do so by law.
    hogdaddy, SIGguy229 and 9MMare like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    Just say " excuse me, I am carrying a weapon on my (insert state) cpl license and it is located at __________. Most officers depending on the situation will just disregard it and go on with the contact.
    FWIIW, I would reverse/modify that sentence.

IMHO, "I have a gun" or "Have a weapon" is not a good thing to start off with -- as he/she may well react / not hear the rest of what you are saying.

I would say, "Officer, I'd like to inform you / I need to inform you (in must-inform States) that I have a permit to carry concealed and I am carrying at this time. My firearm is located...."

The simple expression "gun" is a trigger word in SOPs / training. Some just react to it. Start with the important info -- i.e., I one of the good guys.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I have always made it a point to do so...FL does not require it...it has either been verbally appreciated or ignored.
    SIGguy229, PatAz and DaveH like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Great...thanks for taking time to reply. I did Google search, but didn't here on this forum. I did find a good discussion:
    Notifying Leo when using their services.

Thanks for suggestions.

I couldnt say it better than skysoldier. Post #3. I'll never understand why one would only wish to notify if legally bound to do so. Talk about getting off on the wrong foot if the LEO figures it out on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    I couldnt say it better than skysoldier. Post #3. I'll never understand why one would only wish to notify if legally bound to do so. Talk about getting off on the wrong foot if the LEO figures it out on his own.
    Ditto! I just consider it the "polite" thing to do. Most LEOs would appreciate it and not make a big deal of it if you inform them. If you don't, it might make them suspecious that you are trying to hide something or that you are not "one of the good guys". Just put yourself in their shoes and think how you would feel. Wouldn't you appreciate being told?
    DaveH likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have always made it a point to do so...FL does not require it...it has either been verbally appreciated or ignored.

And I believe it may well have gotten me out of a couple of speeding tickets. Not that that is why I do it, but....
    Arborigine likes this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Last time I informed a LEO of CC, he could care less: "Don't show me yours, I won't show you mine".
    DaveH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post

And I believe it may well have gotten me out of a couple of speeding tickets. Not that that is why I do it, but....
    Yep! A few months ago, my wife and her sister were going to the Dayton Intl Airport to pick up their brother who was flying in for a visit. It was a dark and rainy night (no, this isn't a mystery story) and they missed their turnoff to the airport. Since there wasn't any traffic, my wife did a U-turn--and promptly got stopped by an unseen patrol car. Although she has her CHL, she was not carrying at the time, and therefore did NOT have to inform the officer. However, she rolled down the window, kept her hands on the wheel, and when he approached, she informed him that she had her CHL but was not carrying at the time. He thanked her for informing him (he would have known she had a CHL when he ran the plates anyway), asked where they were going, and let her go with a verbal warning. Not even a written warning. I'm certain being curteous and considerate and "one of the good guys" went a long way in her not getting a ticket!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    I totally dis agree with that statement. If you get off on a bad foot with a LEO because you are doing something within your right then there is something wrong with that individual LEO or the mindset of LEO's.(I am not bashing LEO's). Situation: LEO pulls me over for speeding. While writing a ticket he sees what looks like a bulge. He asks if I am carrying. I say yes and have a permit. If that bothers him too bad. I was not doing anything wrong. Now, if I got off on the wrong foot with the LEO now he might have me dis arm, run the SN of the gun. Take up more of my time. But why? Because now he is in a bad mood. Mind you I still didn't do anything wrong (except speeding). Now, I am the good citizen and tell the LEO I have a permit and carrying at the time. He says, "thanks" and lets me off with a warning.
    Stopped for the same offense, but in the first scenario I will get a ticket and the officer is ticked. Second scenario we are now buddies and I go on my way. Anybody else see a problem with this? Mind you, I am being polite and courteous talking to the LEO the whole time during the stop. If we got off on the wrong foot then that is not my problem. Funny thing is, I know a lot on this forum will carry in a friends house that they know don't like guns but they won't be courteous and tell their friend about it but will tell the LEO when they don't have to.
    9MMare likes this.

Im in inform camp. IHO it makes things easier
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links