am i wrong - Page 2

am i wrong

This is a discussion on am i wrong within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife also does not like guns however when someone was knocking on our door at 2 am one night. First thing out of her ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: am i wrong

My wife also does not like guns however when someone was knocking on our door at 2 am one night. First thing out of her mouth was get your gun.
    lonewolf486 likes this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    lonewolf486 likes this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Of any of the 'battles' of over 4 decades with the same woman...the subject of SD/HD has never been negotiated...no need, it's not an item on the table for negotiations.
    I know that, she knows that...so, what else would you like to talk about.:

You could talk about post #17...
    paching likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Are you wrong? Invariably, we all are, at one point or another, especially in married life...

That said, this should not have escalated into an argument... But you can fix it if you sit down and talk with her... not to her, but with her...

You need to find out what her reasoning is (calmly). Apparently, it revolves around having firearms in the presence of children, but that may not be the root of it.

Police officers carry their weapons around children all the time... and tasers, and handcuffs, and batons. Those tools of the police trade don't jump off the Officer's Sam Browne and beat, tase, or shoot children.

But for YOU, there may be an issue of TRUST. Those officers are trusted (right or wrong) to use their weapons only when they are needed... Is there some reason she doesn't TRUST you in the same manner?

Sit down with her alone. Find out exactly what HER concerns are... Do NOT answer them as she is listing them... Or even immediately after.

Tell her you really value her concerns and opinions, and you want to know what and how she thinks... After she lists her concerns, thank her. Tell her you will think about what she has said, and tell her only that you love her and your son, and you would sooner die than have anything happen to them that you could have prevented. Say NOTHING more about it, NOTHING...

Then, think about what she has said. And don't say any more about it for a few days at the least...

Now, you can do it this way... or you can say "I'm the man, What I say goes." Good luck with that approach.
    Oak is right on the money. Be respectful, kind, caring, and considerate; (and MEAN every bit of it, she will see right through it if you aren't). Find the root cause of her dislike for guns around children and then let it simmer for a few days at least. It's amazing how much insight, and different perspectives you can gain by just chilling on it. One last thing DO NOT bring family/ friends into this discussion; it will be seen as you pitting them against her ( which is exactly what it is) and it will not help the situation at all. Good luck my friend.

-Russell
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Show her the pictures below,,,, explain: you never know
    what is around the bend in the road ahead. I have been trying
    to explain to my wife for YEARS ,,,, she lives in a dream world
    where everyone is as nice as she is,,,, not so,,,, she just has never
    believed these type of GOD FORSAKEN individuals exists ,,,, unfortunately
    they DO EXIST. Jennifer Hawke-Petit, 48, was strangled and her daughters,
    17-year-old Hayley and 11-year-old Michaela, died of smoke inhalation.
    The girls, sources told , were tied to their beds and raped repeatedly,
    then left to burn after gasoline was poured around their beds and ignited,
    All three women were raped,

"This is everyone's worst nightmare," Lt. Jay Markella, Cheshire police
    spokesman, told the Waterbury newspaper. "It's by far the worst thing
    any of us have ever seen."

Joshua Komisarjevsky, 26, of Cheshire, and Steven Hayes, 44 should be tied
    to a bed; poured gasoline on them an ignited,,,,,, my way of thinking.
    Check out the burned house & bedroom,,,, that alone will make you carry
    at Home.

Inside Look of Deadly Connecticut Home Invasion | Photos - ABC News

Second Home Invasion Trial Begins In Connecticut | Fox News

The world has some real "animals" in it, once you've seen the results of their work, you never look at things the same again. Ask her does she really love your children, or grandchildren, if she says yes, ask her what would she be willing to do to protect them from one of these "animals" should they decide that they were going to harm them, and ask her how she plans on doing so.
    Rugergirl and lonewolf486 like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

For my situation, my wife has issue with me carrying in other people's house when it is a child centered event. I dont like it, I always remind her how I feel about it and I leave my gun in the car. A real relationship requires, at times, compromise. This is one area where I do. Each situation is unique. If you can convince her otherwise, great, if you set that boundary prior to serious involvement, great. I did not as I began to CC after marriage.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Just tell her that the bad guys carry illegally everywhere without respecting anybodys wishes. Why wouldn't you carry legally if it came down to protecting them? I'd rather have an argument than an unesesary death anyday.
    lonewolf486 likes this.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

She will always be right and you will always be wrong. Im only 22 and I have come to realize this already. Show her why you feel the way you do. My gf didn't understand but after I showed her news article after news article of CC saving lives she came around. That doesn't mean I won the argument because I never win. Best of luck and always dicuss these topics with a clear mind.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    For my situation, my wife has issue with me carrying in other people's house when it is a child centered event. I dont like it, I always remind her how I feel about it and I leave my gun in the car. A real relationship requires, at times, compromise. This is one area where I do. Each situation is unique. If you can convince her otherwise, great, if you set that boundary prior to serious involvement, great. I did not as I began to CC after marriage.
    I, for one, cannot see compromising the enhanced safety of myself & my loved ones based on what I believe is conceptually flawed reasoning. If my firearm is not welcome, then neither am I.

I too started carrying after marriage...16 years of it.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Lone Wolf, in this case I might consider conceding the battle in an effort to win the war. Not making a huge negative of this time by fighting over it, but instead using it as a start to a learning/desensitizing process.

Cheers and welcome to the forum.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    My favorite reply for what it says, what implies, and what it doesn't say. I'm guessing there is a mostly happy marriage in BigJon's house.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Are you wrong? Invariably, we all are, at one point or another, especially in married life...

That said, this should not have escalated into an argument... But you can fix it if you sit down and talk with her... not to her, but with her...

You need to find out what her reasoning is (calmly). Apparently, it revolves around having firearms in the presence of children, but that may not be the root of it.

Police officers carry their weapons around children all the time... and tasers, and handcuffs, and batons. Those tools of the police trade don't jump off the Officer's Sam Browne and beat, tase, or shoot children.

But for YOU, there may be an issue of TRUST. Those officers are trusted (right or wrong) to use their weapons only when they are needed... Is there some reason she doesn't TRUST you in the same manner?

Sit down with her alone. Find out exactly what HER concerns are... Do NOT answer them as she is listing them... Or even immediately after.

Tell her you really value her concerns and opinions, and you want to know what and how she thinks... After she lists her concerns, thank her. Tell her you will think about what she has said, and tell her only that you love her and your son, and you would sooner die than have anything happen to them that you could have prevented. Say NOTHING more about it, NOTHING...

Then, think about what she has said. And don't say any more about it for a few days at the least...

Now, you can do it this way... or you can say "I'm the man, What I say goes." Good luck with that approach.
    This is probably the best approach you can use. It's probably going to be a long protracted "conversation". Just don't let it escalate into an all out war.
    lonewolf486 likes this.
    Question Everything!

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf486 View Post
    i dont think it will destroy our marriage but it is one of the things we dont see eye to eye on
    I posted a link that was instrumental in getting CHL passed in Tx.Suzanna Hupp watched her parents get killed because she had taken her gun out of her purse and left it in her car because concealed carry was illegal at the time this happened.Ask your wife what would happen if the roles were reversed and you had left your gun at home when some crazy psycho enters the skating rink and starts to massacre people.
    https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...+luby+massacre
    lonewolf486 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

In the case of carrying around children, it can be a very delicate situation, more so to the other childrens parents. If you conceal properly, it pertty much a none issue. Getting permission or informing the other parents is not what CC is about and it would no longer be concealed..Enough rambling here, my point is that when I am at home , many times I my take off my sweat shirt and at that point I am open carry. I have a 3 year grandaughter and a 9 year old as well, when they come over to grandpas house, I am open carrying, well I don't think they have even noticed, they have never made a coment about it nor asked any questions. Their mother and father have no problem with it and we just go about the house as open carrying is normal behavior. Not all domestic situation are like this though. I am one of the lucky ones where my family excepts carrying a weapon is a good thing. just my 2 cents.....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links