Can't figure Florida out

Can't figure Florida out

This is a discussion on Can't figure Florida out within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've read many times in various places about FL not honoring my CT permit. Looking through FL statutes, I can't see why this would be ...

Question Can't figure Florida out

I've read many times in various places about FL not honoring my CT permit. Looking through FL statutes, I can't see why this would be prohibited. In CT we get a "permit" and not a "license" but, I can't see where it says "the state must honor FL LTC in order for FL to honor that states LTC" or something to that effect.

see below:

790.015 Nonresidents who are United States citizens and hold a concealed weapons license in another state; reciprocity.--

(1) Notwithstanding s. 790.01, a resident of the United States who is a nonresident of Florida may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm while in this state if the nonresident:

(a) Is 21 years of age or older; and

(b) Has in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued to the nonresident in his or her state of residence.

(2) A nonresident is subject to the same laws and restrictions with respect to carrying a concealed weapon or concealed firearm as a resident of Florida who is so licensed.

(3) If the resident of another state who is the holder of a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued in another state establishes legal residence in this state by registering to vote, or making a statement of domicile pursuant to s. 222.17, or filing for homestead tax exemption on property in this state, the license shall remain in effect for 90 days following the date on which the holder of the license establishes legal state residence. This section applies only to nonresident concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenseholders from states that honor Florida concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenses.

Any insight as to where this is stated or why this is interpreted that I need a FL LTC?
    -Biker

Damn, found it myself. Sounds like Florida doesn't want to play unless everbody plays nice.....

QUESTION 2. There are a number of states that issue concealed carry licenses but do not have a reciprocity agreement with Florida. Why?

The State of Florida will honor the concealed weapon/firearm permits issued by another state PROVIDED THAT the other state will agree to honor the licenses issued by Florida. The states listed above are the only ones that have agreed to honor Florida permits.
    -Biker

Look at it like this ....

Why would Fla. want to recognize another state's CCW , if

that state won't recognize Florida's . Sounds logical to me.

Also remember, Fla. issues Non-Resident CCWs also.

A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Why not just get a Florida out of state permit?? They seem to be pretty easy to obtain.

Chris

You can do the OOS Fl permit and that would be the easiest. Also, you state's attorney general has to be the one to break the ice with other states. Or you can do what we did in Missouri and contact the state youself sending emails, writing letters to change this policy. If the state's ccw law's are basicly in agreement there is no reason why they shouldn't agree to it.

We now have offically have 27 states that reciprocates with Missouri. "WE" missouricarry.com members helped to make this happen with a few key people in the forefront going after this and making our attorney general accountable for this. It worked and not only that several states agreed without the AG doing a thing like with Georgia.

This gives you an idea of what I am talking about!

As of Monday, August 21, 2006, Pennsylvania is now on board. The official document from PA has been signed by AG Nixon and is in the mail back to PA. It's done.... but may take a couple of weeks to show on the PA reciprocity website and be distributed to the various agencies in PA. If you plan to carry in PA on a MO endorsement in the next few days, it's official but it may not be known since you have more information than www.packing.org or www.handgunlaw.us or even the LEO agencies in PA have as of this moment.

The letter from Mississippi (finally in correct form and with correct title and legal references) is in and on AG Nixon's desk for signature. So, done deal pending signature but not yet official. When that happens, the MO endorsement will join Florida and Utah as the most widely accepted CFP in the US.

That leaves two open; Wyoming which is unlikely (see other thread) but not officially dead yet (just barely breathing) and South Carolina which is "looking good" but is still going through the final lawyer proofing with the SC SLED people before being sent to AG Nixon for signature.

So officially, as of today:

Alabama
    Arkansas
    Alaska
    Arizona
    Colorado
    Delaware - Green
    Florida
    Georgia - Green
    Idaho
    Indiana
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi - Orange
    Missouri
    Montana
    North Carolina - Green
    North Dakota - Green
    New Hampshire - Green
    New Mexico
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania - Green
    South Carolina - Red
    South Dakota
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah
    Virginia - Green
    Vermont

Green indicates states picked up in the last three months due to our instigation and for which we can claim partial responsibility.

Orange indicates state that is done pending our AG's signature and will happen momentarily.

Red Indicates close but not done officially or unofficially as of yet.

We are 27 states officially (not counting our home state)
    We will make 28 (Mississippi) and possibly 29 (South Carolina)

At the moment, because of the vagaries of other states' laws, that as far as we can go before the Kansas issue arrives late this year or early next year.

Peter Lyskowski, Assistant AG for MO may well be at the picnic on September 30th. If he is, please welcome him. His work has been invaluable. he has worked hard and he has done the job with enthusiasm... all the while keeping us informed. He is one of the good guys.

It's almost over and then...on to the castle Doctrine and PTA elimination with the next legislative session.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I need Florida to get South Carolina on board.
    Is that asking too much?

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

The problem is more with CT law

Connecticut is one of those states that issues CCW permits to residents, but won't honor any other states' permits. You can study this on the "handgunlaw" website at this link:
    State CCW honor table

Other states in the same category as CT include CA, IA, MD, MA, NY, OR and several others. It would be a major improvement in national CCW laws if some of these states would pass laws allowing other states' permits to be honored. Texas has recently been a leader in this area, with the governor "proclaiming" that certain state permits would be honored in Texas without any reciprocity promised by those states. He seems to be hoping that a generous offer will eventually be reciprocated .

Quote Originally Posted by Leadslinger View Post
    Look at it like this ....

Why would Fla. want to recognize another state's CCW , if

that state won't recognize Florida's . Sounds logical to me.

Also remember, Fla. issues Non-Resident CCWs also.

Just an FYI- Florida does not issue a non-resident license. It issues one license. This license may have an out of state address on it.

The Issues of Reciprocity and Recognition

Each state has it's own standards on the subject but generally, there are four different philosophies.

1.) States that automatically grant recognition to another state's permit and no formal arrangment is necessary. States like, AK, ID, IN, KY, MI, MO, OK, SD TN and VT fall in this category.

2.) States that either have no concealed carry (IL, WI) or do not have any provision in their law to recognize another state's permit. CA, CT, District of Colunbia, IA, KS (at least for now), ME, MA, MD, NE, NV, NJ, OR and RI fall in this category. In a few of these states you can obtain that state's permit and carry there if it's worth the effort the and cost to get it (such as NV and CT)

3.) States that make individual judgements about other state's permits based on a "comparability of law" evaluation. South Carolina and Florida both fall in that category and it is simply a matter of both undertaking a review. If there are significant differences in either training, background qualifications and/or disqualifiers, then reciprocity is not granted.

4.) States where a permit from another state may be recognized, but only for a resident of the state that issued the permit. MI, FL WV, SC and NH are in this category.

http://www.handgunlaw.us is a decent source for information

There is also the unique situation of Florida and Vermont. Florida law states that you must have your CCW in your possession when carrying. Since Vermont does not issue a license, Florida does not recognize Vermont. Vermont, on the other hand, does recognize the Florida license.

4.) States where a permit from another state may be recognized, but only for a resident of the state that issued the permit. MI, FL WV, SC and NH are in this category.

realtor thi is wrong.. NH recognizes ANY CCW resident or nonres. PA only recognizes RES CCWs

Indiana

Well, everyone can come to Indiana! As someone I heard say " In Indiana, if you don't carry we get mad!!!"
    After looking thru this site and others, I can't beleive all of the restictions that other states have, not to say we don't have any, but compared to most other states, we have very few.
    But, I'm glad that a lot of other states are finally listening to their people! The main issue for me right now is what happened in Louisiana last year! Now that the Federal goverment said it was wrong, everybody needs to be aware of what happened (and I know most people don't), and to make sure that it doesn't happen again anywhere!

Rant Off!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

VIP Member
    I am not "Realtor" but this is a copy and paste of New Hampshire pertaining to Nonresident CCW. Section II says the home state must reciprocate.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...59/159-6-d.htm

TITLE XII
    PUBLIC SAFETY AND WELFARE
    CHAPTER 159
    PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS
    Section 159:6-d
    159:6-d Full Faith and Credit for Licenses From Other States; Reciprocity. – Notwithstanding the provisions of RSA 159:6, no nonresident holding a current and valid license to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in the state in which he resides or who is a peace officer in the state in which he resides, shall be required to obtain a license to carry a loaded pistol or revolver within this state if:
    I. Such nonresident carries upon his person the license held from the state in which he resides; and
    II. The state in which such person is a resident provides a reciprocal privilege for residents of this state.
    Source. 1993, 130:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1994.
    Last edited by deadeye111; August 30th, 2006 at 02:51 PM. Reason: To include link to statues

Links