Conceal and carry class certificate

This is a discussion on Conceal and carry class certificate within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I took the conceal and carry class about a year ago in Oklahoma. Is there anything we can do if we lost ...

My wife and I took the conceal and carry class about a year ago in Oklahoma. Is there anything we can do if we lost the certificate. I really don't want to have to take the class again. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Contact the instructor. They are required to retain all certificates. They should be able to issue a duplicate. Hopefully yo know when the class was.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

As to your training certificate, you will need to contact the instructor who gave your course. According to the Oklahoma Self Defense Act booklet, you must submit the original certificate of training. Duplicate or copies are not accepted. If he can not provide you with an original certificate, then you have no option other than retaking the course.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Justinosu21 View Post
    My wife and I took the conceal and carry class about a year ago in Oklahoma. Is there anything we can do if we lost the certificate. I really don't want to have to take the class again. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    When I took my class, I was concerned about the possibility of misplacing or losing my certificate--and that piece of paper is quite valuable to me. So, when I got home, I scanned it into my computer. Now, I have a copy of that document anytime I need it. Because it is scanned, I can email it ASAP to whomever requires it.

I have found scanning to be an excellent solution (for me) that avoids the "where the heck is that document?" scramble that can occur. While hard copy documents have a disturbing tendency to grow legs, I can find my digital documents quickly in the designated folder that is their home.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Justinosu21 View Post
    Thanks
    I would also prefer to make extra copies immediately and store them in a fireproof safe, just in case you lose the certificate. Better to be proactive than reactive.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by .45acpguy View Post
    When I took my class, I was concerned about the possibility of misplacing or losing my certificate--and that piece of paper is quite valuable to me. So, when I got home, I scanned it into my computer. Now, I have a copy of that document anytime I need it. Because it is scanned, I can email it ASAP to whomever requires it.

I have found scanning to be an excellent solution (for me) that avoids the "where the heck is that document?" scramble that can occur. While hard copy documents have a disturbing tendency to grow legs, I can find my digital documents quickly in the designated folder that is their home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    I would also prefer to make extra copies immediately and store them in a fireproof safe, just in case you lose the certificate. Better to be proactive than reactive.
    Oklahoma law specifically says it must be original. Copies and duplicates are not allowed for obtaining a permit.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware! Can't offer any more information than already stated above.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

In some states there is a time line between class and permit application,IIRC Texas requires you apply for a CHL within one year of class,or you have to take the class over
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    CT is original only and the date is 1 year.

the NRA no longer sells the certs separately, so the instructor will have paperwork that you took the class
    but will have to charge more than the traditional few dollars to replace a certificate.

more than that, a instructor may have you to re-take the exam (its open book...) to insure you are
    prepared for your chat with the local Chief. afterall, its his name on the cert also and you don't want
    to make him look bad, do ua now?
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Why not put it in a safe deposit box at your bank along with all of your other valuable documents? Keep a copy for your wallet to show when necessary and maybe another copy or two in a safe and convenient place around the house as back ups.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In some states there is a time line between class and permit application,IIRC Texas requires you apply for a CHL within one year of class,or you have to take the class over
    Two years on the original class and and proficiency, 6 months on renewal. It is rule 6:12. However like in the OP's state it must be an original certificate. For anyone who has taken our class, I can tell you when you took the class, and get a new certificate if you happen to loose yours. In fact a guy came in today and needs his replaced. Personally, I think folks should be more responsible, but hey it happens.

(1) Evidence of proficiency. The applicant must submit evidence of proficiency, as defined by §6.11 of this title (relating to Proficiency Requirements) reflecting the successful completion of a handgun proficiency course approved by the department and taught by a certified handgun instructor. Evidence of proficiency submitted by an original applicant will not be accepted by the department if it is more than two years old. Evidence of proficiency submitted by a renewal applicant will not be accepted by the department if it is more than six months old.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links