Gangs tagging gun owners vehicles

This is a discussion on Gangs tagging gun owners vehicles within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just received an email from a friend of mine out of state. Just want to spread the word...... While I was in a Texas ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Gangs tagging gun owners vehicles

I just received an email from a friend of mine out of state. Just want to spread the word......

While I was in a Texas gun store today, my car was tagged on the wheel in the parking lot. The gangs do this on wheels or bumpers at gun stores, shooting ranges, gun shows etc. Later when you are parked at a restaurant, hotel, or other location thatís less well guarded or under video surveillance, other gang members spot the marker and break into the car for a quick gun grab. This is so RAMPANT in San Antonio where we were for a National shoot this summer, the Sheriff of Bexar County came out to brief the 400 participants of our competition. Too bad three teams had already been victimized the first day. This is the first Iíve heard of this in Texas. Please pass this info along to your 2nd amendment list. Daily check your car, truck or motor home for unusual painted dots, marks, check marks or other strange looking symbols that are not normal to your type vehicle. It could prevent you from being a victim of robbery, or even save your life if you catch the thief in the act.
    Kennydale likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeeater View Post
    I just received an email from a friend of mine out of state. Just want to spread the word......

While I was in a Texas gun store today, my car was tagged on the wheel in the parking lot. The gangs do this on wheels or bumpers at gun stores, shooting ranges, gun shows etc. Later when you are parked at a restaurant, hotel, or other location that’s less well guarded or under video surveillance, other gang members spot the marker and break into the car for a quick gun grab. This is so RAMPANT in San Antonio where we were for a National shoot this summer, the Sheriff of Bexar County came out to brief the 400 participants of our competition. Too bad three teams had already been victimized the first day. This is the first I’ve heard of this in Texas. Please pass this info along to your 2nd amendment list. Daily check your car, truck or motor home for unusual painted dots, marks, check marks or other strange looking symbols that are not normal to your type vehicle. It could prevent you from being a victim of robbery, or even save your life if you catch the thief in the act.
    Tell your friend to quit sending you bogus spam which has already been discredited here and elsewhere.
    Tzadik and Toorop like this.

False rumor.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/intent/gunshop.asp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've been in the habit for a couple of years of having a link to snopes open when I am reading my emails. Before I foreward anything that is questionable, I check with snopes. It has prevented me from sending on erroneous information on more occasions than I can remember! It is amazing the number of "urban myths" that are floating around out there in cyber space.
    mkh likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Close this thread

This one sure is getting around This, what, the 4th thread in 2 weeks?

Lesson learned. The email I was actually from a friend in law enforecement. I was not aware that it was a false rumor. Sorry everyone!

and really...don't trust snopes though..they have been proven wrong on several occasions...

Steve
    Longbow likes this.

imagesCANBSB2X.jpgSorry bro; meter maids stop chalking tires a long time ago... but everyone has a fantasy of one kind or another

Quote Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
    and really...don't trust snopes though..they have been proven wrong on several occasions...

Steve
    This is so true, Snopes is wrong on many occasions, Don't always put your faith in Snopes.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    These emails are silly. I love when gun owners send stuff like this to get people riled up about nothing. It is silly in my opinion and does nothing but cause a headache for those who believe it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Longbow View Post
    This is so true, Snopes is wrong on many occasions, Don't always put your faith in Snopes.
    I just checked with Snopes, and they have classified this allegation as an urban myth.
    Moops likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

You know, it's not really a bad idea. Is it criminal to tag someone's tires?
    My concern is that spreading such a rumor would then motivate an actual criminal to do something like this. I'm from Canada, and a remarkable number of our street guns are non-functional (and a decent fraction don't have bullets, to boot.), and so the street value of a working gun would be quite high.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Trying to spot a chalk mark on a tire in a major city would be next to impossible.
    I also think this would be the last person I would want to steal anything from, just in case he had it on him and didn't leave it in the car!

Mike

Luckily, I don't have a gun store or range in my county to park my car at.

Snopesified or not, something to think about (who knows you have guns). Another reason my vehicles aren't plastered with NRA, Colt, GLOCK, Crosshairs, or any other sticker that can re-activate a drug riddled brain cell in a thug.
    Longbow, Corlissimo and NONAME762 like this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links