making semi-auto inoperative

This is a discussion on making semi-auto inoperative within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just what makes my semi-auto inoperative? Explanation... ok, received my ccw last week (5 week turnaround) for New Mexico. I've been carrying to those locations ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making semi-auto inoperative

Just what makes my semi-auto inoperative?
    Explanation...
    ok, received my ccw last week (5 week turnaround) for New Mexico. I've been carrying to those locations I am allowed by law. Unfortunately, NM law prohibits carrying into establishments/stores that sell alcohol (packaged or for consumption). I never drink anyway, but there are so many places this restricts us from, i.e., grocery stores, convenience stores, most restaurants, walmarts, etc.

I have a COM lockbox under my seat in the car, so I take advantage of that. There are times, though, that I have to second guess having to leave the pistol in some of these danky parking lots, though I do what I have to do (leave it in the car).

Now New Mexico Statutes pertaining to Unlawful carrying of a firearm in licensed liquor establishments. states the following exception:
    30-7-3
    (5) for the purpose of temporary display, provided that the firearm is:
    (a) made completely inoperative before it is carried onto the licensed premises and remains inoperative while it is on the licensed premises; and
    (b) under the control of the licensee or an agent of the licensee while the firearm is on the licensed premises.

Any thoughts?

VIP Member
    Interesting way of stating it... Maybe forum member Erich (a New Mexico attorney) will be along with an explanation, but just as a wild guess, I'm thinking that simply unloading the weapon would make it inoperable.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I'm not as optomistic as Team American, but I share his hopes. haha

They probably refer to "inoperable" as removing the pin and/or plugging the barrel with something.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

VIP Member
    TA, I think has the right idea, but did not go far enough. Unloading the pistol makes it in operable only as long as it is unloaded. I would think that removing the mag and ejecting the round from the chamber, plus leaving all mags and rounds locked up in the car would make the pistol inoperable. Some would say that it is not inoperable because the slide operates and the trigger can be pulled, however unless the pistol goes bang and sends a projectile out the barrel when the trigger is pulled it is inoperable.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Ray, I think that I would want a legal defination of what NM considers inoperable. Your best bet might be either the State Police or a lawyer versed in NM firearms law. Our speculation is just that; speculation. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
    Last edited by Old Chief; August 23rd, 2006 at 07:55 PM.

Administrator
    It would be interesting to find out if you could unload the pistol & then use a Nylon wire tie to secure it the way they do at the gun shows.

That would render the pistol inoperable unless a person had a pair of wire cutters on his person.

That sure would be easier than disassembling the firearm & then the wire tie could be easily clipped off when you got back to the vehicle.

That would be a good question to ask.

Were I in your situation, I would unload the weapon, remove the slide from the frame and take the slide with me. The firearm is inoperable and since the frame, not the slide, is considered the firearm you would not be carrying a firearm.

yep. that's good advice Old Chief. Sometimes a person can get him/herself into trouble dancing around on heresay or cutting it too close to the edge of the law. I'm not the type to push such things too far. I just hate how many places there are that I have to leave it in the car. Such is life. If I find out from a more official source, i'll update this posting.

Please let us know what you find out. I am going to New Mexico next month. It would be helpful.

Semper Fi

Ray,

If you own a 1911 then the Springfield Armory 'Integral Locking System' (ILS) just might be the ticket.
    I installed these as a retrofit on all three of my 1911s (Colt, SA and Sig) for use at home as I have children. They are also MA compliant as relative to in car storage for those times when I choose not to carry into peoples homes and/or have a need to go to the post office or courthouse.
    It's proven to work fine for me and to be 100% reliable as well as functional.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/ils.mpg
    http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-ils.shtml

Another option that works for Glocks and Sig might be this holster from DeSantis in combination with a small flat lock.

http://www.holster.com/01l.html

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Same with Taurus guns that have the "Taurus Security System". Taurus has just about the same exact thing as the Springfield on the grip, but with their PT models it's on the right side of the slide. According to Taurus if you engage the system it will "make it inoperable". I would think that if according to the manufacturer it makes it inoperable, same with Springfield, then I think that would qualify. On the Taurus', this is not a retrofit but part of the gun itself when you buy it.

http://www.taurususa.com/safety/tss-pistols.cfm

Cheers.
    Last edited by soundwave; August 23rd, 2006 at 07:07 PM. Reason: added system info link

Now New Mexico Statutes pertaining to Unlawful carrying of a firearm in licensed liquor establishments. states the following exception:
    30-7-3
    (5) for the purpose of temporary display, provided that the firearm is:
    (a) made completely inoperative before it is carried onto the licensed premises and remains inoperative while it is on the licensed premises; and
    (b) under the control of the licensee or an agent of the licensee while the firearm is on the licensed premises.

Are you planning on displaying it?

Soundwave,

For SA the ILS comes now stock/standard with ever 1911 they sell.
    It's also available as a retrofit kit for any other standard 1911 (it doesn't work on wide bodies such as Paras) as well as older SAs that didn't have this available prior.

It works really well and for me has proven to be quite handy.
    The down side for it though is that the operator has to clear their assumedly cocked & locked weapon first as the ILS will not lockup unless the hammer is down, which at times has not been convenient or safe for me to do. In that case I keep a small childs tackle box with me in the trunk of the car to stow & lock away the then cocked & locked weapon and mags.
    For a situation such as in NW what I might do is walk in to said establishment, go straight to the bathroom and find a stall with a door, clear the weapon, lock it, and then reholster.
    A PITA but it's better than nothing at all. Also the operator retains the key, which i keep on my keychain, so if worst comes to worst one can reactivate the weapon albeit from behind concealment if not hard cover while under duress.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Thanks, Janq, didn't know that. =O)

I think I'll have to go with BlackJack's question, though. You would have to have the purpose of temporarily displaying it to qualify for the exception even if the gun was inoperable. What in the world was their original thought when making this law?

Cheers.

Yeah I saw that update post by Blackjack after I'd hit 'Submit'.
    I've no clue what those guys were/are thinking.

The whole concept, v1.0 as well as 2.0, seems to me to be asinine.

- Janq

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links