I stopped carrying at school/work, restaurants, why I think my NM CCW was waste of $

This is a discussion on I stopped carrying at school/work, restaurants, why I think my NM CCW was waste of $ within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im not advising anyone to carry concealed where its against the law. I'm only telling you my feelings about your situation. Something to think about ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 65
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: I stopped carrying at school/work, restaurants, why I think my NM CCW was waste of $

  1. #16
    Senior Member Array Chesafreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    588
    Im not advising anyone to carry concealed where its against the law. I'm only telling you my feelings about your situation.

    Something to think about:
    You knew when you went through the process to get your CC permit there would be risks.
    When you passively give in to an armed BG, you are taking a risk.
    When you use a weapon to defend yourself against an armed BG, you are taking a risk.
    When you posess a CC permit and don't use it you are taking a risk. That risk is that you may either lose your life because you couldn't defend yourself, or that you may live the rest of your life in regret because a loved one is gone and you didn't do what was in your power to defend them.

    Now YOU weigh the risks and decide what is right for you. It looks like your options are:
    1. Don't carry
    2. carry where you may do so legally
    3. You figure this one out.
    ToddR likes this.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Ex Member Array barstoolguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    under a rock in area 51
    Posts
    2,548
    my dog would go hungry.
    Ooo no not the dog

  4. #18
    Member Array larrylandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Grandfield Oklahoma
    Posts
    23
    well leave your spare tire home too! You will never need that for sure.

    I don't patronize places that disrespect my rights. I wouldn't whine about it to others either. You made a choice to spend the money on your protection.

    Get a life! or loose it may bee by getting killed by someone without a permit and has a gun!

  5. #19
    New Member Array virgilj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    12
    I'm about to apply for my CC permit in Florida so I have been reviewing the law pretty closely. Fortunately Florida has some of the best CC and self defense laws in the nation.

    Basically you can carry a concealed weapon just about any place except: government building or meetings, schools, airports, bars. Carrying in restaurants that serve alcohol is allowed so long as they have a separated seating area for dining (Chilies,Fridays, Red Lobster, ect.).A bar that serves cheeseburgers is prohibited if their primary service is the serving of alcohol.

    Most of these laws make sense to me and do not make me feel like my rights are being abused. Furthermore they apparently work. Florida has issued some 350,000 concealed carry permits with only one homicide being committed by a licensed gun carrier. In fact a licensed carrier is 840 times less likely to commit a serious or violent crime than a random citizen. I'm no expert on this,but,since many of the states have modeled their concealed carry laws on Florida statutes it apeares to me that as a group these laws may be some of the best thought out and effective laws in a very long time.

    The OP's situation is unfortunate but a good example of why after 63 years I feel I need to carry a firearm. it sounds like he is just a young man trying to further his education and improve himself but he is afraid to do so because some dirt ball may kill him! I'm not sure you can fault the concealed carry laws for that but you damn sure can fault our society for allowing things to reach this stage of decay in the first place

  6. #20
    Senior Member Array Chesafreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by larrylandon View Post
    well leave your spare tire home too! You will never need that for sure.

    I don't patronize places that disrespect my rights. I wouldn't whine about it to others either. You made a choice to spend the money on your protection.

    Get a life! or loose it may bee by getting killed by someone without a permit and has a gun!
    If you read all of the previous posts in this thread before you posted, you would have noticed that those restaurants he frequents do not prohibit firearms. He can't carry there because of his state laws concerning serving hard liquor. He's not whining about those restaurants banning firearms.

    Post #12:
    Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Almost all restaurants where I go to eat with my fiancee do not serve 'only beer and wine'. Almost all serve spirits, and the law prohibits carrying in establishments that serve this type of alcohol.

  7. #21
    PB2
    PB2 is offline
    Member Array PB2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Tumbleweed Gulch, NM
    Posts
    102
    The truth is that the law has not changed. You've found times to carry in the past so what's the problem now that you just gave up? From at least one of your previous post you said you were run off the road and were very glad you had your weapon. What will happen next time?

    If I were in your situation I would park off campus and walk. At least you'd have your weapon for the drive to and from work/school.

  8. #22
    Member Array redbeardsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Athens, Georgia
    Posts
    368
    Time to start writing your representatives and working to get the laws changed in your state. I was in the same situation before GeorgiaCarry.org (our grass roots organization) succeeded in getting our laws changed for the better.

  9. #23
    VIP Member Array glockman10mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    8,566
    I think you will be ok. The actual chances of you needing a firearm are slim to none. Life is not all about feeling insecure and worried, and having a firearm on you should not be your security blanket.

    Yeah, it may be difficult to not be able to exercise your right, but life goes on. Go to another country where you have no rights, and, where violent crime is rampant, and then you will have a whole different perspective about safety in America.
    DocPMD likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

  10. #24
    Member Array yooperdug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    upper peninsula of michigan
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    Remember, #1 is situation awareness. Regardless of whether you are armed or not.
    Could'nt have said it better. Pretty much sums up survival.
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

  11. #25
    VIP Member Array zacii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    arizona
    Posts
    3,749
    I give up on eating out a long time ago. Food is crappy and expensive; drinks are weak and expensive; service is lousy and expensive.

    I can get a better steak at home, mix a better margarita, and then I don't have to have a DD to get me to my comfy bed after I've had a few.
    I guess you can just stow your pistol in a CoM safe, in your car...

    That lady in Texas stowed her pistol in her car, but it didn't do any good. Odds are you won't need it, but if you went by that, why carry at all?
    yooperdug likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

    "A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

  12. #26
    Member Array yooperdug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    upper peninsula of michigan
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I give up on eating out a long time ago. Food is crappy and expensive; drinks are weak and expensive; service is lousy and expensive.

    I can get a better steak at home, mix a better margarita, and then I don't have to have a DD to get me to my comfy bed after I've had a few.
    I guess you can just stow your pistol in a CoM safe, in your car...

    That lady in Texas stowed her pistol in her car, but it didn't do any good. Odds are you won't need it, but if you went by that, why carry at all?
    This too sums it up!!
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

  13. #27
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    44,417
    Quote Originally Posted by virgilj View Post
    I'm about to apply for my CC permit in Florida so I have been reviewing the law pretty closely. Fortunately Florida has some of the best CC and self defense laws in the nation.

    Basically you can carry a concealed weapon just about any place except: government building or meetings, schools, airports, bars. Carrying in restaurants that serve alcohol is allowed so long as they have a separated seating area for dining (Chilies,Fridays, Red Lobster, ect.).A bar that serves cheeseburgers is prohibited if their primary service is the serving of alcohol.

    Most of these laws make sense to me and do not make me feel like my rights are being abused. Furthermore they apparently work. Florida has issued some 350,000 concealed carry permits with only one homicide being committed by a licensed gun carrier. In fact a licensed carrier is 840 times less likely to commit a serious or violent crime than a random citizen. I'm no expert on this,but,since many of the states have modeled their concealed carry laws on Florida statutes it apeares to me that as a group these laws may be some of the best thought out and effective laws in a very long time.

    The OP's situation is unfortunate but a good example of why after 63 years I feel I need to carry a firearm. it sounds like he is just a young man trying to further his education and improve himself but he is afraid to do so because some dirt ball may kill him! I'm not sure you can fault the concealed carry laws for that but you damn sure can fault our society for allowing things to reach this stage of decay in the first place
    I'm curious where in FL law it says anything about their primary service being alcohol.

    A bar is a bar, food or no food...you just cannot go into a bar, or any part of a restaurant designed/cordoned off as a bar.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  14. #28
    VIP Member Array 9MMare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Outside Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,309
    There are many other weapons at your disposal besides firearms. Have you ever read here that a gun is only one tool in your SD toolbox?

    Yes, SA is at the top of the list, as someone already mentioned. But if you are that worried about the places you go....get training in something else, like Krav maga or martial arts. Learn to carry and use a knife (legally) effectively. Get OC spray, a kubaton, etc.

    The state has only limited one of your many options.
    Fortune favors the bold.

    Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

    The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

  15. #29
    Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    855
    In Florida you can carry in restaurants that sell alcohol, as long as you don't sit at the bar you are ok. Also "no guns allowed" signs don't mean anything. You just need to move.

  16. #30
    Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    855
    Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong View Post
    Time to start writing your representatives and working to get the laws changed in your state. I was in the same situation before GeorgiaCarry.org (our grass roots organization) succeeded in getting our laws changed for the better.
    Plus this is extremely important! Yes!

    Are you a member of the NRA? if not you should be. During the last elections and when we had laws going through the legislature, they emailed me almost every day with updates. They give you the name and email address of every legislator that is going to have anything to do with a particular bill. I must have sent dozens is not hundreds of emails. Every law the NRA pushed through in FL got passed and signed into law.

    You need to get involved.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

30-7-3 nmsa
,

acronym for chlis there an acronym for concealed handgun liscence

,
carry at work
,

carrying at work

,
carrying at work?
,

ccw at work

,
ccw new mexico forum
,
concealed carry at work
,

concealed carry at work texas

,
nm statute 30-7-3
,
penalty for carrying a concealed weapon in a gun free zone
,
penalty for carrying a concealed weapon in a school
Click on a term to search for related topics.