I stopped carrying at school/work, restaurants, why I think my NM CCW was waste of $

This is a discussion on I stopped carrying at school/work, restaurants, why I think my NM CCW was waste of $ within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Help me understand something. Before you took the course were you carrying a gun without a permit? Is that against the law? Then you take ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: I stopped carrying at school/work, restaurants, why I think my NM CCW was waste of $

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Help me understand something. Before you took the course were you carrying a gun without a permit? Is that against the law?

Then you take a course to be legal and you suddenly decide not to break the law?

Sounds to me like we should take all the criminals in this country and put them through a CCW course so they suddenly stop breaking the law, but in all seriousness sounds to me like you need to prioritize.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Hey guys,

Very disappointed to report that I've stopped concealed carrying at the three places I feel most vulnerable: work, school, and restaurants. There are so many workplace shootings these days, that it's scary. I am vulnerable at school because a) it's in a crappy part of town (homeless drug users frequently wander into the school, and there's NO security) and b) schools are gun free zones so criminals feel empowered. Finally, I feel vulnerable at restaurants: you're out after dark, away from your home, usually have a long walk to the car. These are the three areas where I feel the highest need to protect myself with a deadly weapon, since Mace is of questionable use against a drugged up Meth-head.

I've stopped carrying at the restaurants I like and at school, because to do so at either place is a 4th degree misdemeanor, with either a $500 fine, year in jail, or both, plus a misdemeanor on your public record. If I were to have to use my gun to defend myself, I'd be instantly slapping a misdemeanor on my criminal record. That's instant expulsion from school, almost guaranteed no acceptance into other schools. At work, I would lose my job (since my company has a RETARDED "no weapons allowed on property" policy), which would mean I would not be able to pay my loans, I'd lose my apartment, my dog would go hungry.

All in all, I feel like I shouldn't have wasted the $250 for the course, and paid the state $100.

Why even get a CCW if I can't carry where I feel most vulnerable!?!
    WOW that's expensive. Sounds like you can't even carry anyway with all the restrictions.

I have just joined the NRA. I think it's an incredibly valuable organization.
    Chesafreak likes this.

Just recently completing my NM conceal carry course, I feel you with the expensive courses and costs to the state (submitted my package today.) While you might feel you're being restricted to carry in certain places, your gun is only one tool in your arsenal. Situational awarness is the main key in avoiding a bad situation. Have you considered arriving early to campus to find a closer parking space? As for not being able to carry at work, well, to be honest most others are prevented from carrying to work. There's options for you to combat this; 1) find alternative employment that doesn't restrict you to carry, 2) respect the contract of the position you are holding and leave the gun in the car (like most) or 3) utilize the CANT method (like few) and expect the consequences if discovered. If you opt to go out and have some drinks, well the gun needs to stay home. Guns and alcohol just don't mix. You always have the choice of not going.

Quote Originally Posted by Porp View Post
    Here is the NM law about carrying in Restaurants that serve alcohol:

I carry quite a bit, can't carry at work, but I avoid restaurants that are off limits. I wouldn't say my permit was a waste of money at all. The laws do need to be fixed here for sure. I think getting my license was one of the best investments I've made.
    This is no longer the law.You now can carry in a bar.You just can't drink.

In life we are presented with choices,we can make good choices or bad choices,thats all I will say because I am trying to remain demerit free for a little while longer
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Michaels View Post
    I copied and pasted that directly from the state statutes site. Please link official sources for the new law you speak of.

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Hey Porp,

Almost all restaurants where I go to eat with my fiancee do not serve 'only beer and wine'. Almost all serve spirits, and the law prohibits carrying in establishments that serve this type of alcohol.

As for "avoiding crappy areas", believe me I do always try to avoid these areas, and especially at night. The problem is, my school (where I also work) is located SMACK DAB in the center of the most crime-ridden section of town. I'm not sure how I can avoid going to school and work? Just sayin'.
    Well I don't know what the New Mexico law is concerning carrying while intoxicated, but I would suggest that no matter what the law is, it's not a good idea so I would suggest you start looking for restaurants that only serve beer and wine, and do not drink while carrying. I would also suggest writing to your state senator and representives and suggest that they take a look at making the laws friendlier to law abiding citizens that want to protect themselves and their families.

Quote Originally Posted by Porp View Post
    I copied and pasted that directly from the state statutes site. Please link official sources for the new law you speak of.
    Kind of agreeing with Porp on this one in my limited googling, the text he put up is effective as of 07/01/2007, while your copies are apparently from 2005. Check New Mexico Department of Public Safety web page under Concealed/Carry FAQs | New Mexico Department of Public Safety and NM Concealed Carry | New Mexico Department of Public Safety "Concealed Handguns in Certain Licensed Liquor Establishments"
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    Kind of agreeing with Porp on this one in my limited googling, the text he put up is effective as of 07/01/2007, while your copies are apparently from 2005. Check New Mexico Department of Public Safety web page under Concealed/Carry FAQs | New Mexico Department of Public Safety and NM Concealed Carry | New Mexico Department of Public Safety "Concealed Handguns in Certain Licensed Liquor Establishments"
    I think you are correct.I guess I was wrong......

I think you are correct.I guess I was wrong......
    Bummer. I was excited by the thought of our state actually progressing our concealed carry law.

I think you better call the State Department, Michaels. I JUST completed my CC course in November, and was provided with the updated state statutes regarding concealed carry.

Think I'm going to sell my CC piece, and just get a good assisted-opening tactical knife. Least with a knife and Mace, I can carry them anywhere.
    It's just disheartening.

MP9NewMexico, I did not mean to minimize the expense (& time) it took to get your CC for NM. I realize I focused on a different aspect of your post.

However if it's not just a matter of $, why not keep the CC gun and continue to train with it? I enjoy training...and I do more than just target shoot, so there are otehr options for that too....and someday you may carry that gun and need it. Or move to a different state.

Anyway, good luck to you and stay safe.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links