I stopped carrying at school/work, restaurants, why I think my NM CCW was waste of $

This is a discussion on I stopped carrying at school/work, restaurants, why I think my NM CCW was waste of $ within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico Hey guys, Very disappointed to report that I've stopped concealed carrying at the three places I feel most vulnerable: work, school, ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: I stopped carrying at school/work, restaurants, why I think my NM CCW was waste of $

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Hey guys,

Very disappointed to report that I've stopped concealed carrying at the three places I feel most vulnerable: work, school, and restaurants. There are so many workplace shootings these days, that it's scary. I am vulnerable at school because a) it's in a crappy part of town (homeless drug users frequently wander into the school, and there's NO security) and b) schools are gun free zones so criminals feel empowered. Finally, I feel vulnerable at restaurants: you're out after dark, away from your home, usually have a long walk to the car. These are the three areas where I feel the highest need to protect myself with a deadly weapon, since Mace is of questionable use against a drugged up Meth-head.

I've stopped carrying at the restaurants I like and at school, because to do so at either place is a 4th degree misdemeanor, with either a $500 fine, year in jail, or both, plus a misdemeanor on your public record. If I were to have to use my gun to defend myself, I'd be instantly slapping a misdemeanor on my criminal record. That's instant expulsion from school, almost guaranteed no acceptance into other schools. At work, I would lose my job (since my company has a RETARDED "no weapons allowed on property" policy), which would mean I would not be able to pay my loans, I'd lose my apartment, my dog would go hungry.

All in all, I feel like I shouldn't have wasted the $250 for the course, and paid the state $100.

Why even get a CCW if I can't carry where I feel most vulnerable!?!
    Absolutely agree with you. I live in SC and about the only place I consider CC is in my car and even then I have the car as my "go to" defense. With all due respect to the 24/7 CCers who even ask questions about their firearm and showers and their firearm and public bathrooms, "what ifs" is a two letter phrase that just does not evoke an armageddon in my life. Have at it if it makes you feel safer. For me, it is mainly home defense and occasional car. If experience means anything, then my experiences in 70 years, during which time I have never, ever had a need whatsoever for any defense, tell me this CC is not worth my time and effort. I took the CCWP course because it seemed interesting and did teach me many things about firearms and their use and safety. 70 years tells me that SA and who, what, where, when are more important--if you do not end up in trouble you have no need to get out of trouble. As the thread said, it is probably restaurants or church events at night that would be the times I have no control over where and when and since CC is not available to me unless I want to break the law, then CC means very little to me.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I think the most important place to carry is at home. If you don't carry anyplace else, carry at home.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I can understand being disappointed in being unable to carry in certain places after having spent the money for the permit, and, the permit may be useless to you in your situation, but I'm having a tough time following the "may as well just sell my gun" logic. Sometimes criminals visit peoples homes as well as the restaurants they frequent. I rarely "carry" in public anymore, but I'd never deprive myself of access to a firearm even if it was only at home.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

I walk everyday.I carry a gun mostly for dogs.Lots of Pit bulls running loose where I live.I refuse to be mauled by a dog on my walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    I can understand being disappointed in being unable to carry in certain places after having spent the money for the permit, and, the permit may be useless to you in your situation, but I'm having a tough time following the "may as well just sell my gun" logic. Sometimes criminals visit peoples homes as well as the restaurants they frequent. I rarely "carry" in public anymore, but I'd never deprive myself of access to a firearm even if it was only at home.
    I doubt that the thread writer is going to throw his firearm away and I sure am not. Obviously, it is just the idea that the limitations are considerable and are in direct conflict with the main reasons many of us want to CC in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I doubt that the thread writer is going to throw his firearm away and I sure am not. Obviously, it is just the idea that the limitations are considerable and are in direct conflict with the main reasons many of us want to CC in the first place.
    I hope he doesn't get rid of it, my remarks were prompted by this direct quote, though:

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Think I'm going to sell my CC piece, and just get a good assisted-opening tactical knife. Least with a knife and Mace, I can carry them anywhere.
    It's just disheartening.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

OK .... here's the amendment .

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
    9 Section 1. Section 30-7-3 NMSA 1978 (being Laws 1975,
    10 Chapter 149, Section 1, as amended) is amended to read:
    It's pretty long,so you'll have to look it up.
    Last edited by Michaels; January 31st, 2012 at 10:35 PM.

How about you volunteer with your local police auxiliary, get an official "good guy" card, and then stop worrying about it?

The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

While I certainly understand where you are coming from, as I don't like going against rules either, the thing to always remember is that the BAD GUYS DO NOT FOLLOW THE LAWS, so it is necessary to be prepared to defend your life if/when necessary, no matter what. Bad Guys like to catch people when/where they are least expecting it and only where they think they have the upper hand. I even carry while in church! As some have pointed out, CCDW is not just for guns. There are other options and something is better than nothing at all, if you don't want to risk carrying a gun. I especially liked the previous post stating "it is better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6"

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I'm not a lawyer but it looks like you're reading the law wrong it says the UNlawful carry you're lawful it has to sell 60% or more of it's sales in alchol or your legal and it must be posted at every entrance etc.....
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    I hope he doesn't get rid of it, my remarks were prompted by this direct quote, though:
    Interesting by his direct quote about selling a keeping maybe a knife and a spray, which he can use anywhere. I do carry a can of bear spray in car more than the CC firearm and maybe a more discreet pepper spray in lieu of the firearm at restaurants, which is not allowed in what I consider my most vulnerable situation--at night after going out to eat and walking to my car. PS: Bear spray is not allowed to be carried due to volume but, according to investigator in prosecutor's office, use of same, in lieu of a firearm would be considered a prudent defense, if I needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    For me, it is mainly home defense and occasional car. If experience means anything, then my experiences in 70 years, during which time I have never, ever had a need whatsoever for any defense, tell me this CC is not worth my time and effort.
    I wonder if the 65 year old man that defended himself while riding his bike on a trail ever thought "In 65 years I have never had the need to defend myself, no need to carry" before this happend to him? Victim kills teen robber on trail, police say Thugs prey on the old and defenseless. I hope it never happens to you but if it does you may not get a second chance to arm yourself. I would rather have my CC and not need it than not have it and need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaels View Post
    OK .... here's the amendment .

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
    9 Section 1. Section 30-7-3 NMSA 1978 (being Laws 1975,
    10 Chapter 149, Section 1, as amended) is amended to read:
    It's pretty long,so you'll have to look it up.
    I think you are looking at the proposed "house bill 136", unfortunately that bill was struck down last year. I was hoping for it to pass.

I don't know about you, but in my life there's a lot more to do out there than just go to school, eat at restaurants that are more bars than restaurants and worry about what happens at my work if some idiot goes bonkers and decides to start killing folks...

If it was me; I'd stow the pistol in a vehicle safe while at school, dump the bar scene altogether, and find a way to carry in deep cover that won't give yourself away and go about your life. Don't break the law, but don't be ashamed to want to live a full life with, or without your defensive tools whatever that may be. It's your choice how you choose to proceed, but IMO, being armed some of the time is far better than not being armed all the time. Giving up on it altogether is not the best answer IMO, and knives are neat, but not at ten feet. A little humor to end with.

Stay safe out there.
    Dadsnugun likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

The amendment passed July 2010.
    Last edited by Michaels; February 1st, 2012 at 02:09 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links