I stopped carrying at school/work, restaurants, why I think my NM CCW was waste of $

I stopped carrying at school/work, restaurants, why I think my NM CCW was waste of $

This is a discussion on I stopped carrying at school/work, restaurants, why I think my NM CCW was waste of $ within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, Very disappointed to report that I've stopped concealed carrying at the three places I feel most vulnerable: work, school, and restaurants. There are ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: I stopped carrying at school/work, restaurants, why I think my NM CCW was waste of $

Hey guys,

Very disappointed to report that I've stopped concealed carrying at the three places I feel most vulnerable: work, school, and restaurants. There are so many workplace shootings these days, that it's scary. I am vulnerable at school because a) it's in a crappy part of town (homeless drug users frequently wander into the school, and there's NO security) and b) schools are gun free zones so criminals feel empowered. Finally, I feel vulnerable at restaurants: you're out after dark, away from your home, usually have a long walk to the car. These are the three areas where I feel the highest need to protect myself with a deadly weapon, since Mace is of questionable use against a drugged up Meth-head.

I've stopped carrying at the restaurants I like and at school, because to do so at either place is a 4th degree misdemeanor, with either a $500 fine, year in jail, or both, plus a misdemeanor on your public record. If I were to have to use my gun to defend myself, I'd be instantly slapping a misdemeanor on my criminal record. That's instant expulsion from school, almost guaranteed no acceptance into other schools. At work, I would lose my job (since my company has a RETARDED "no weapons allowed on property" policy), which would mean I would not be able to pay my loans, I'd lose my apartment, my dog would go hungry.

All in all, I feel like I shouldn't have wasted the $250 for the course, and paid the state $100.

Why even get a CCW if I can't carry where I feel most vulnerable!?!

Restaurants are gun free zones?

What restaurants are you visiting that are gun free zones? Maybe find another restaurant to give your money to.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Well,now you can start that HTH,and FOF training,a gun is not always the only weapon you have,think about it.

Remember, #1 is situation awareness. Regardless of whether you are armed or not.
    yooperdug, 9MMare and Redline like this.

This is not an advocating for anyone to start breaking any laws. It is a cry for common sense in your own and family's defense.

All I can say is that if I am going into an area where my life or my family's lives are in danger because of the location or situation, I have to weigh why I am going there against the necessity that that I obey the laws of society. If our Founding Fathers had obeyed the laws, we would be speaking the Queen's English and still be subjects to the crown. They knew that laws, when unfair and unjust, are not laws. They are tyranny.

If I deem the threat is greater to me and mine than if I was disarmed by a law, then I will personally take my chance with the courts. No one will know if I am carrying unless I have to shoot someone in self defense, and I am not going to advertise I am armed.

If there are metal detectors where I may be going, then it becomes another matter, but most schools, restaurants and work places are not equipped with those. And, there is such a thing as Jury Nullification, where the jury can find you innocent even though you technically broke a law. Here in Texas, there are counties that the DA will not even seek a charge if you acted cleanly and clearly in self defense, even if you were technically breaking a carry law.

How many people would have actually supported any charge against any teacher or staff member at Columbine High School (or any other mass murder location where guns were prohibited) if they had been illegally carrying a concealed weapon in a gun free zone and yet ended those dirt bags in the parking lot before they had a chance to continue on their killing rampage.

I am not advocating anyone personally breaking a law. I am advocating that certain laws are stupidly passed by legislators who seem to mean well, but are completely ignorant about real life. Hell, half of our elected Representatives and Presidents don't even know how to use a Debit Card swiper in Wal-Mart, and they think they have a real good bead on things in the real world. Oh, and they have armed security with them at all times, and armored cars.

What the laws should read is that a person is violating the law if they use a firearm illegally on the premises of those locations, not just carry them.

Time to start lobbying against stupid laws, but seeing the choices we have as elected officials, I doubt that is going to happen in my lifetime.
    carracer and MotorCityGun like this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Quote Originally Posted by YANG View Post
    Restaurants are gun free zones?
    Here is the NM law about carrying in Restaurants that serve alcohol:

A. Unlawful carrying of a firearm in an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages consists of carrying a loaded or unloaded firearm on any premises licensed by the regulation and licensing department for the dispensing of alcoholic beverages except:
    (4) by a person carrying a concealed handgun who is in possession of a valid concealed handgun license for that gun pursuant to the Concealed Handgun Carry Act [29-19-1 NMSA 1978] on the premises of:
    (a) a licensed establishment that does not sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises; or (b) a restaurant licensed to sell only beer and wine that derives no less than sixty percent of its annual gross receipts from the sale of food for consumption on the premises, unless the restaurant has a sign posted, in a conspicuous location at each public entrance, prohibiting the carrying of firearms, or the person is verbally instructed by the owner or manager that the carrying of a firearm is not permitted in the restaurant;

B. Whoever commits unlawful carrying of a firearm in an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages is guilty of a fourth degree felony.
    I carry quite a bit, can't carry at work, but I avoid restaurants that are off limits. I wouldn't say my permit was a waste of money at all. The laws do need to be fixed here for sure. I think getting my license was one of the best investments I've made.

VIP Member
    If you have your wits about you are never disarmed, after all you have four of the oldest weapons known to man, your hands and feet. And if you look around just about anywhere there are items that may be used for improvised weapons. You are only disarmed if you allow yourself to think so.
    BritishAgent likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

How are you going to feed the dog and pay your bills if you get killed in a robbery/ shooting?

Just saying! Sometime compromise comes with a heavy price.

I carry everywhere legal and have it close when I have to go to those place I HAVE to go into unarmend.

My job required I disarm but I could leave it locked up in the parking lot. So I did.

And as soon as I got in the car to leave, I made sure my defense was next to me.
    Chesafreak likes this.
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

Move one state to the west. All your stated concerns will be gone and I bet your dog will love it as well. Mine sure do.

On another note: Most things are a compromise. Take a hard look at the places you go vs your personal safety. Some are more difficult to give up than others. Good luck!
    ToddR likes this.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    If I were to have to use my gun to defend myself, I'd be instantly slapping a misdemeanor on my criminal record. That's instant expulsion from school, almost guaranteed no acceptance into other schools. At work, I would lose my job (since my company has a RETARDED "no weapons allowed on property" policy), which would mean I would not be able to pay my loans, I'd lose my apartment, my dog would go hungry.
    If you had to used a gun to defend yourself, you would at least be alive to have those problems.

Hey Porp,

Almost all restaurants where I go to eat with my fiancee do not serve 'only beer and wine'. Almost all serve spirits, and the law prohibits carrying in establishments that serve this type of alcohol.

As for "avoiding crappy areas", believe me I do always try to avoid these areas, and especially at night. The problem is, my school (where I also work) is located SMACK DAB in the center of the most crime-ridden section of town. I'm not sure how I can avoid going to school and work? Just sayin'.

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. just saying.
    ToddR likes this.
    NRA - Line of Duty Member

SIG P220ST

Next purchase an AR-15 hopefully

NM recently changed the law regarding CC in restaurants, so it is legal there.

Just read about the particulars with restaurants, I was thinking of AZ.

I can't help you with school or work,
    but isn't it better to be able to legally carry some places, than none?

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    You can carry in a restaurant that does not serve hard liquor unless it is posted

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links