I moved to Texas and I have a few Permit Questions.

This is a discussion on I moved to Texas and I have a few Permit Questions. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It does sound like a sticky situation...however, I would not recommend getting a CHP in another state and side-stepping the Texas issue. ESPECIALLY if your ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: I moved to Texas and I have a few Permit Questions.

It does sound like a sticky situation...however, I would not recommend getting a CHP in another state and side-stepping the Texas issue. ESPECIALLY if your documented residence is now in Texas. If something were to happen and you were in another legal circumstance regading your firearm, the first question that would be thrown at you is "why do you not have a Texas CHP if you are a resident of Texas?" At this point your credibility is shot because now you are dodging an issue and your "work around" will be means to show you were hiding something (or not properly disclosing it). Personally, I think you come down to two choices:

1. Take the Texas course, and apply for the license with full disclosure: RISK: $150 or so. If you get approved, problem solved. If you are rejected, at least you know and you can still carry in your car or home.

2. Wait your time out: Carry where you can legally (car and home), and wait the 5 years. It's one thing to try to push the legal envelope by speeding or the like, its a whole other ball game when it involves a "deadly weapon".
    Hopyard likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I would contact your Texas state representative if he is pro 2nd and explain the situation. He might be able to determine your eligibility without losing $140.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My representative assisted me in getting my CHL about 5 years ago when they were well beyond the date to deny or grant the license. While I had about zero luck getting though to the DPS he was able to get it taken care of within a few hours.
    Last edited by Yoda; February 1st, 2012 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg34 View Post
    It does sound like a sticky situation...however, I would not recommend getting a CHP in another state and side-stepping the Texas issue. ESPECIALLY if your documented residence is now in Texas. If something were to happen and you were in another legal circumstance regading your firearm, the first question that would be thrown at you is "why do you not have a Texas CHP if you are a resident of Texas?" At this point your credibility is shot because now you are dodging an issue and your "work around" will be means to show you were hiding something (or not properly disclosing it). Personally, I think you come down to two choices:

1. Take the Texas course, and apply for the license with full disclosure: RISK: $150 or so. If you get approved, problem solved. If you are rejected, at least you know and you can still carry in your car or home.

2. Wait your time out: Carry where you can legally (car and home), and wait the 5 years. It's one thing to try to push the legal envelope by speeding or the like, its a whole other ball game when it involves a "deadly weapon".
    I feel as if this would be a good Idea, but I honestly don't like the idea of going about with only my situational awareness and hands as a means of defense. Especially when I'm less than 15 minutes from Juarez Mexico.

The answer to "Why do you not have a Texas permit being a Texas resident" would be dependent on who is asking.

If a police officer asks, I would answer by saying "It was 90$ cheaper, and I am on a students budget." which is partially true. (After having done some research I'll be getting an AZ Non-Resident permit since I'm eligible and it's only 60$)

If it was a judge asking, I would answer very very honestly by saying: "Because I feel that my need to have a means to protect myself and my loved ones is a priority, and I'll obtain that right legally by any means possible." I would bring up the fact that the judge in Virginia chose not to revoke my Virginia CHCP in the first place as well.

But I will be focusing on minimizing the possibility of myself getting into firearm related issues in this state for the fact, I will be educating myself on the state laws regarding the keeping, transporting, and carrying of firearms to the point I'll be able to recite them off the top of my head. I will be speaking the manager of any place I intend on visiting for any reason regarding their policy on carrying inside of their store/restaurant/whatever establishment it is. I'll be taking a Texas CHL class as well, just for informational purposes.

In my opinion, as long as it is done by legal means it's okay. Even though I already feel that I have been failed by a justice system that I have always and will continue to abide by the rules of, I'd still rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.

At least in Texas you won't get an automatic "wreckless driving" charge for going over 85mph, it will just be a speeding ticket.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

I don't have any advice for now, but I guess the lesson for the rest of us is if this situation, to appeal no matter the cost. IMO, you should really try to get taken off your record before moving on. It will probably make a difference in getting a future job, etc as well.

Whatever you do, use your Texas address since that is your residence, and don't cut corners. Your other license/permit was issued to you as a resident of that other state, and since you are no longer a resident of that state, its efficacy is problematic at best, useless at worst, or even potentially illegal. If you can get an Arizona Non-Resident Permit using your new Texas residency and it is allowable in Texas without a Texas Resident Permit (based on your research), that sounds like a good answer.
    Hopyard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Since your already on record in VA, why not get a VA non-resident permit?
    No need, Once issued, VA permits are valid until expiration or revocation whether you move out or not.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer_Heaven View Post
    I feel as if this would be a good Idea, but I honestly don't like the idea of going about with only my situational awareness and hands as a means of defense. Especially when I'm less than 15 minutes from Juarez Mexico.
    Irrelevant. El Paso has a fairly low crime rate.

The answer to "Why do you not have a Texas permit being a Texas resident" would be dependent on who is asking.
    No. That is game playing. You either are or you are not a Texas resident. You either are or are not legal with the VA license or
    some other out of state one. I think the answer is you are not legal once you are a resident here; you must have a TX
    residents permit. Sure, you might get by.... but. The key question, what state is your DL in? If it is in TX, you need a TX
    permit. If it is in VA, and you have lived here more than 90 days, you need a TX DL--unless (based on stuff I read here) you are actually military.

If a police officer asks, I would answer by saying "It was 90$ cheaper, and I am on a students budget." which is partially true. (After having done some research I'll be getting an AZ Non-Resident permit since I'm eligible and it's only 60$)
    Stop playing games. CALL DPS and find out, or take the course and apply and then appeal if you are turned down.

If it was a judge asking,
    You should not get yourself in a situation where it is a judge asking. At that point you already have trouble you don't need.

I would answer very very honestly by saying: "Because I feel that my need to have a means to protect myself and my loved ones is a priority, and I'll obtain that right legally by any means possible."
    At which point all sorts of bells will go off inside the person's head---you will be heading down a very precarious path. What you
    are saying is that you are willing to disobey the law, to squeeze on by with tactics, and no one listening to that is going to like what they hear.

I would bring up the fact that the judge in Virginia chose not to revoke my Virginia CHCP in the first place as well.
    Which means nothing. You are hear now and you have to go by the rules here. If you have lived here more
    than 90 days you need a TX DL.

TxDPS - Moving to Texas
    "New residents moving into Texas, who are at least 16 years or older and have a valid driver license from another state, have 90 days after entry into the state to secure a Texas Driver License. All out-of-state applicants must visit a Texas Driver License office to present and complete the following:"

But I will be focusing on minimizing the possibility of myself getting into firearm related issues in this state for the fact, I will be educating myself on the state laws regarding the keeping, transporting, and carrying of firearms to the point I'll be able to recite them off the top of my head. I will be speaking the manager of any place I intend on visiting for any reason regarding their policy on carrying inside of their store/restaurant/whatever establishment it is. I'll be taking a Texas CHL class as well, just for informational purposes.
    No--- If you are smart and want to stay out of trouble you will get a Texas DL. You will take the CHL course and apply.
    You will appeal if you are turned down. If you can not get a TX CHL, then tough. Car carry if legal for you and stay out of
    trouble with the law.

In my opinion, as long as it is done by legal means it's okay. Even though I already feel that I have been failed by a justice system that I have always and will continue to abide by the rules of, I'd still rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
    In my opinion you are planning on game playing. Maybe you'll win the game. Maybe you won't. From where I sit I think you will be in a big heap of trouble one of these days.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Hopyard, why wouldn't another states non resident permit be good in Texas, even if he is a resident of Texas?

I don't know of any of the agreements Texas has with other states which require a resident permit for reciprocity.

Don't get me wrong, I think that having the permit in the state which you live is always the best thing to do. However in some instances getting a non resident permit might be a good option. For instance, those states which don't issue a non resident permit, if you move, your permit automatically becomes invalid. AR for example doesn't do non resident. If someone knows that within a year or so they will be leaving the state of AR, they would be better off with a TX non resident permit for example. When they moved, their permit would still be good except in CO, FL, MI, and SC, since they don't recognize non resident permits.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I'm not sure where I didn't make this clear.

1. Currently I am a Texas resident, drivers license and all.
    2. I am not carrying concealed for the time being, even though I have a Virginia CHCP in my possession forthe fact it is non a non-resident with my Texas address on it.
    3. I will be obtaining an AZ-NON-RESIDENT CHL, which is recognized by Texas, it will have my Texas address on it.

Hopyard, I'm not sure if I am understanding you but are you telling me that, as a resident of Texas, I can not carry in Texas with an AZ Non-Resident Carry permit even if it is recognized by Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Hopyard, why wouldn't another states non resident permit be good in Texas, even if he is a resident of Texas?

I don't know of any of the agreements Texas has with other states which require a resident permit for reciprocity.

Don't get me wrong, I think that having the permit in the state which you live is always the best thing to do. However in some instances getting a non resident permit might be a good option. For instance, those states which don't issue a non resident permit, if you move, your permit automatically becomes invalid. AR for example doesn't do non resident. If someone knows that within a year or so they will be leaving the state of AR, they would be better off with a TX non resident permit for example. When they moved, their permit would still be good except in CO, FL, MI, and SC, since they don't recognize non resident permits.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter.
    This is another reason. I will be moving in two years.

But if for some reason, my plan is illegal.. I absolutely will not go through with it, under any circumstances.

EDIT:I just got off the phone with the Texas DPS, Concealed Handgun Licensing Bureau and they confirmed that I would be allowed to go through with my plan to use an AZ Non-Resident Permit to carry as long as the AZ Non-Resident License matches the address on my Texas DL (which it is and always was going to do)
    Last edited by Outer_Heaven; February 1st, 2012 at 05:58 PM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer_Heaven View Post

EDIT:I just got off the phone with the Texas DPS, Concealed Handgun Licensing Bureau and they confirmed that I would be allowed to go through with my plan to use an AZ Non-Resident Permit to carry as long as the AZ Non-Resident License matches the address on my Texas DL (which it is and always was going to do)
    And there you have what may be an authoritative answer. Re @Farronwolf: Somewhere along the way I thought I read that
    as in other states, we had to have a permit issued by our own state if we live here. From what is posted here about AZ permits, maybe I am wrong.

There is too much at risk in any case to chance doing it that way IF it is at all possible to get a TX CHL. Let's assume that I am wrong in my thought that we need a TX CHL if we live in TX. There may well be many LEOs who as I, perhaps make roadside
    assumptions on the matter. We have all heard about things like that. So, the SAFEST thing is to get the TX CHL if that is
    possible.

In other words, instead of trying to finesse the whole thing, maybe try to deal with it straight up. Maybe even try to get the
    conviction in VA expunged or whatever; appealed? I don't know the best path. I do know that the less confusion you present
    when you are stopped--- confusion = TX DL, out of state CHL, the worse off you will be; and that is true even if you are 100%
    legal. Because, at best you will be unnecessarily delayed while the person who stopped you has his command try to figure out what the law is.
    Outer_Heaven likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Uh, most states if you are living in that state, you cannot carry on a non-resident license of that same state, and cannot carry even if it's a non-resident license of another state.

You can't here. If you want to carry here, and are living here and a resident, then you have to have a Kansas license. period.

I would be checking Texas CC laws on it, I'm better they are the same way or similar.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Eagleks, there is nothing that I know of in the Texas statutes that says you must have a CHL from Texas if you live in Texas. There is also nothing that I know of in the reciprocity agreements that says it only applies to non residents.

I may have missed something, but I have been through our book a whole bunch of times.
    Outer_Heaven likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    And there you have what may be an authoritative answer. Re @Farronwolf: Somewhere along the way I thought I read that
    as in other states, we had to have a permit issued by our own state if we live here. From what is posted here about AZ permits, maybe I am wrong.

There is too much at risk in any case to chance doing it that way IF it is at all possible to get a TX CHL. Let's assume that I am wrong in my thought that we need a TX CHL if we live in TX. There may well be many LEOs who as I, perhaps make roadside
    assumptions on the matter. We have all heard about things like that. So, the SAFEST thing is to get the TX CHL if that is
    possible.

In other words, instead of trying to finesse the whole thing, maybe try to deal with it straight up. Maybe even try to get the
    conviction in VA expunged or whatever; appealed? I don't know the best path. I do know that the less confusion you present
    when you are stopped--- confusion = TX DL, out of state CHL, the worse off you will be; and that is true even if you are 100%
    legal. Because, at best you will be unnecessarily delayed while the person who stopped you has his command try to figure out what the law is.
    I really appreciate the advice, it is very good advice (and I really appreciate that you're looking out for me) but I just don't have the money to do it. Once I do have the money I'll try and spend some getting a TX CHL, but until then I'll just have to deal with the possible hardships that come along with carrying with a Non-Resident Permit that has reciprocity to the state I reside in. Especially after having been in a self defense situation, I have a stronger desire to carry now than I ever have.

I think that I'm going to retire from this thread as I have obtained all the necessary information. But I will constantly be thinking of a way to implement your advice as soon as absolutely possible.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links