I moved to Texas and I have a few Permit Questions.

This is a discussion on I moved to Texas and I have a few Permit Questions. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I believe the operative question is whether Texas will recognize an Arizona Non-Resident Permit issued to a Texas resident. I can't find anything definitive exactly ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: I moved to Texas and I have a few Permit Questions.

I believe the operative question is whether Texas will recognize an Arizona Non-Resident Permit issued to a Texas resident. I can't find anything definitive exactly on point. The Handgun Law US site does have this statement on the Texas page: "Texas Honors Non-Resident Permits/Licenses From the States They Honor." This would apparently include Arizona. I cannot find that in the law, however, I can find nothing to the contrary in the law either.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I believe the operative question is whether Texas will recognize an Arizona Non-Resident Permit issued to a Texas resident. I can't find anything definitive exactly on point. The Handgun Law US site does have this statement on the Texas page: "Texas Honors Non-Resident Permits/Licenses From the States They Honor." This would apparently include Arizona. I cannot find that in the law, however, I can find nothing to the contrary in the law either.
    I tried the DPS FAQs; nothing on point at all. It is possible that even though it is not discussed in "The Handbook" there could be
    relevant laws on this merely not covered in a pamphlet designed for people who by definition are seeking a Texas CHL.

I know this one has been kicked around here before and there have been some links put up to TX organizations/sites etc., of one sort or another. Regardless, my memory is cloudy and I have "partial" recollection of hearing this both ways.

The safest thing the OP could do is inquire by letter or e-mail to DPS. It seems he got an authoritative answer per his earlier post, and for now I'm guessing Farronwolf has it.

Again, my big worry for the OP is that even if he can do what he is planning, he might get into trouble as has been reported for those in PA who carried on a FL non-resident license. That it was lawful didn't stop the detention, inconvenience and expense.

So, to my way of thinking, prudence requires the OP to do all he possibly can to resolve his problem in VA and to press for a CHL here in TX.

To OP-- Thanks for the nice private message. I understand from re-reading one of my earlier posts why you mistakenly thought I was an LEO. I'm not. Still, just trying to help you stay out of trouble.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

mistakenly thought I was an LEO
    But you want to be one when you grow up, right, Hopyard? Me too.........

Just teasing.......
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Texas will indeed recognize a non-resident AZ CCW being held by a Texas resident. It is far from ideal (in my opinion) but it is legal.

Jay
    Texas Certified CHL Instructor
    jerp likes this.

Umm, just my .02 on this matter. If you are going with the non-resident permit as a resident of the great state of texas, i STRONGLY recommend that you stay up on ccw laws. Especially for the fact that all over the country they change on any give day, with minimal warning. Stay safe, stay smart, stay outta jail. Good luck and hope all works out.

Oh and welcome to the forum Jay!
    Outer_Heaven likes this.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Go to Texas CHL Forum. The folks on that are much better than Texas gun talk to talk to. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    The safest thing the OP could do is inquire by letter or e-mail to DPS. It seems he got an authoritative answer per his earlier post, and for now I'm guessing Farronwolf has it.
    That is actually a great Idea, I'll inquire by Email and I'll print out the DPS response, I'll keep it with me so that it might help keep me out of trouble in the case I get pulled and the LEO isn't quite sure of the legality, in El Paso they seem like they would be. They look like some very sharp police.

Again, my big worry for the OP is that even if he can do what he is planning, he might get into trouble as has been reported for those in PA who carried on a FL non-resident license. That it was lawful didn't stop the detention, inconvenience and expense. So, to my way of thinking, prudence requires the OP to do all he possibly can to resolve his problem in VA and to press for a CHL here in TX.
    I'm willing to take the risk of this temporary fix until I can get everything straightened out, soon I'll be attempting to receive a pardon in VA and then expunge my record. At that point I'll go ahead and get that Texas CHL that I so desire.

To OP-- Thanks for the nice private message. I understand from re-reading one of my earlier posts why you mistakenly thought I was an LEO. I'm not. Still, just trying to help you stay out of trouble.
    No problem, I really enjoy this forum so far. People are extremely polite and helpful so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Outer_Heaven View Post
    This is another reason. I will be moving in two years.

But if for some reason, my plan is illegal.. I absolutely will not go through with it, under any circumstances.

EDIT:I just got off the phone with the Texas DPS, Concealed Handgun Licensing Bureau and they confirmed that I would be allowed to go through with my plan to use an AZ Non-Resident Permit to carry as long as the AZ Non-Resident License matches the address on my Texas DL (which it is and always was going to do)
    There is no address on any Arizona CCW. It must be presented with other official documentation with an address. How do I know? In addition to being a Texas CHL holder and CHL instructor I hold an Arizona CCW too.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by TheJayMan View Post
    There is no address on any Arizona CCW. It must be presented with other official documentation with an address. How do I know? In addition to being a Texas CHL holder and CHL instructor I hold an Arizona CCW too.

Jay
    What kind of documentation? Like something adressed to you from the AZ Dps?

Driver's license or passport. Here's what it says on the permit: "This permit must be presented with an official form of photo identification (driver's license from any state, identification card issued pursuant to ARS 28-3165.A., military ID card, or passport).

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by TheJayMan View Post
    Driver's license or passport. Here's what it says on the permit: "This permit must be presented with an official form of photo identification (driver's license from any state, identification card issued pursuant to ARS 28-3165.A., military ID card, or passport).

Jay
    Oh, that's a given. I carry my ID anywhere and everywhere anyway, it's a crime not to. I thought you were saying I had to have something proving that my address was linked to my AZ Non-resident permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Outer_Heaven View Post
    I'm not sure where I didn't make this clear.

1. Currently I am a Texas resident, drivers license and all.
    2. I am not carrying concealed for the time being, even though I have a Virginia CHCP in my possession forthe fact it is non a non-resident with my Texas address on it.
    3. I will be obtaining an AZ-NON-RESIDENT CHL, which is recognized by Texas, it will have my Texas address on it.

Hopyard, I'm not sure if I am understanding you but are you telling me that, as a resident of Texas, I can not carry in Texas with an AZ Non-Resident Carry permit even if it is recognized by Texas?
    There is no problem with you having an AZ non-resident permit while being a resident of Texas, even if you don't have a TX CHL.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Texas will recognize the AZ non-resident permit issued to a Texas resident, at least for now. There was some buzz during the last legislative session to require TX residents with an out-of-state non resident permit to obtain a TX CHL. Lots of TX residents were getting Utah permits rather than the TX CHL. Nothing came out of it, so you are safe until the next legislative session which is not until 2013.

You might want to join TexasCHLforum.com. It is a Texas only CHL forum and the owner, Charles Cotton is a lawyer who has worked with the TX legislature regarding CC laws inTX. Has also served in the NRA and on the TSRA.
    Outer_Heaven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JJVP View Post
    Texas will recognize the AZ non-resident permit issued to a Texas resident, at least for now. There was some buzz during the last legislative session to require TX residents with an out-of-state non resident permit to obtain a TX CHL. Lots of TX residents were getting Utah permits rather than the TX CHL. Nothing came out of it, so you are safe until the next legislative session which is not until 2013.

You might want to join TexasCHLforum.com. It is a Texas only CHL forum and the owner, Charles Cotton is a lawyer who has worked with the TX legislature regarding CC laws inTX. Has also served in the NRA and on the TSRA.
    Thank you for the information, by 2013 I may be long gone from this state back to the commonwealth of VA. If I'm not gone and they do change rules regarding residents with out of state licenses, looks like I'll just be carrying in my car and on my property. But I'll be writing to the Governor attempting to get a pardon in the mean time. Wish me luck folks.

I recently moved to Texas from Oklahoma, where I have a Concealed Weapon License that expires in 2014. I called DPS and was told that I was legal to carry with that license until it expires.

Even with a Texas DL? Yeah, even so. That's what the dude said, and that's how I'm operating. I'll be beginning the process for a TX CHL in the next week or so, but in the meantime, I'll continue to carry on my Oklahoma license.

Or my PA non-res license. Whatever...
    He said to them, "But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one."

- Luke 22:36 (ESV)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links