I moved to Texas and I have a few Permit Questions.

This is a discussion on I moved to Texas and I have a few Permit Questions. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most states take a dim view of a resident using an out of state permit to carry in their resident state. Most require a resident ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: I moved to Texas and I have a few Permit Questions.

Most states take a dim view of a resident using an out of state permit to carry in their resident state. Most require a resident permit as the reciprocity is basically for visitors.

Also, if you cannot obtain a TX permit for 5 years from your conviction, and you use either your VA permit, or a new AZ permit to circumvent TX law will not sit well with any Judge.

Unless you approach this LEGALLY in TX, and get a TX permit, you will at least be skating on some very thin ice at best, to downright breaking TX law at worst.

Talk to TX DPS and a lawyer and go from there. Anything else and you are asking for trouble.

Chris

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Varmiter View Post
    Most states take a dim view of a resident using an out of state permit to carry in their resident state. Most require a resident permit as the reciprocity is basically for visitors.
    Chris,

While in my opinion it isn't the best approach, and can raise an eyebrow or two, Texas absolutely does not require a resident permit/license. This was even covered by Texas DPS in the CHL Instructor certification course I attended. As for the eyebrows: Do you want a traffic cop asking why you have a TX driver's license and an out of state pistol license? Do you want a prosecutor asking that same question after you had to use your weapon in self defense? Probably not in both cases, but it is still legal here in Texas. We even recognize out of state pistol licenses for access to the Capitol (Yes, you can legally bypass the metal detectors and carry legally in the State Capitol building here in TX).

Jay
    Texas DPS Certified CHL Instructor

Jay,

Thanks for the info and opinion. Good stuff.

I’ll just take it a bit further in that the (possible) circumventing TX 5 year law, if something were to happen, I think it would do more than raise a few eyebrows.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Varmiter View Post
    Jay,

Thanks for the info and opinion. Good stuff.

Iíll just take it a bit further in that the (possible) circumventing TX 5 year law, if something were to happen, I think it would do more than raise a few eyebrows.

Chris
    Chris,

I couldn't agree with you more. I think that attempting to circumvent TX law (or any other law) is not a good idea at all. I believe it would be in the OP's best interest to get the situation cleared up before applying for any licenses/permits.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by TheJayMan View Post
    Do you want a traffic cop asking why you have a TX driver's license and an out of state pistol license?
    Not in particular, but the fact that car carry is legal here without a permit would render any charges the officer may want to press over it useless in court.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJayMan View Post
    Do you want a prosecutor asking that same question after you had to use your weapon in self defense?
    By any and all means no, however the justice system has failed me already and I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six. Even though it may be skirting the law, it is still in compliance with. So that I and more importantly my family, and friends may be safe from any sort of attacker I'll look for legal ways to carry by any means necessary. I'm sure the majority of you would too.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links