Did I commit a crime this morning? (WI)

This is a discussion on Did I commit a crime this morning? (WI) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; See i actually asked an LEO, lol, i got a bunch of them as friends. In the parking lot it is ILLEGAL. However, the street ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Did I commit a crime this morning? (WI)

See i actually asked an LEO, lol, i got a bunch of them as friends. In the parking lot it is ILLEGAL. However, the street i live on, is 2 blocks away, and the USPS mail box/drop box, is on the side of the street which is public property. I drop off mail alot, and as long as i stay at the street box, outside USPS property its gloden, hope that helps.

So, DO NOT cut through the parking lot!
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

2. Remove Ads

The federal law is just an inconvenience to me. I don't have a mailbox, just a PO Box and I check the mail daily usually. I park across the street and leave my gun. Luckily everywhere else, state law allows me to lock it in my car while in parking lots of government buildings.

Not sure of the reasoning behind not allowing a weapon locked in the parking lot. But parking nearby is the best option.

Schools being another weird law. In GA it's allowed to have on you while picking up/dropping off a student, even locking in your vehicle if you had to get out, but I'm a student and I can't have my gun in my car while I go to class.

I was at my local city hall and I saw no signs posted in the parking lot. I did see one posted on the main door and secondary door. I asked and was told as long as you do not enter the building.

There's another fuzzy area regarding leased/owned property with USPS. If the PO is in a Federal Building, like many of the bigger distribution POs are, then the whole building/lot/bushes is a no-zone.

I gave up on the whole thing, and got a box through a local mailbox place... costs a little more, but I don't have to worry about local/federal restrictions, they take shipments for common carriers, and I can do any business there that I need a PO for. OTOH, if I just have a piece of mail to send off, I use a bluebox on the sidewalk. Even the one at the PO is legal for me, because it has two drop slots, and one faces the alley.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    'accidents' happen all the time--even in parking lots on postal property.

and if its your car involved, its kinda like...your going to get out of it, right?
    and than you are clearly armed and on postal property.

so what if it was the 88 year old lady that backed into you.
    placing blame will not help you.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Look at it this way. At the rate in which the PO is being mismanaged and losing money, in a few years we might not even have a PO to worry about.

Personally I think the PO is on the cusp of what should be considered a "NO CARRY ZONE" due to it's federal classification. So what if it's run by the Feds. When's the last time anyone heard of an attempted robbery of a Post Office.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

ALL Postal property is restricted. There are some cases where parking lots my not be Postal property but if it is you are in the wrong .
    Federal property is Federal and No state law can over ride it with out and agreement LEO can not even carry

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    ALL Postal property is restricted. There are some cases where parking lots my not be Postal property but if it is you are in the wrong .
    Federal property is Federal and No state law can over ride it with out and agreement LEO can not even carry
    I don't know about that... Are you saying the police have to disarm to inside the post office when responding to a shooting?

Even if not responding to a shooting... Maybe they are responding to a medical call or a fender bender in the parking lot... I don't believe LEO's have to disarm when on duty responding to an official call for service.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I plea the 5th amendment (if I answer this is might incriminate me)

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I plea the 5th amendment (if I answer this is might incriminate me)
    Didn't you hear? When the 4th amendment was aboli... ignored, the 5th was relegated to execs and members of DOJ testifying in front of congress. You have no rights, Citizen.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Did I miss something? What does the PO have to do with the OP's question? He is on state/city property, not federal.

Quote Originally Posted by ks kid View Post
    Did I miss something? What does the PO have to do with the OP's question? He is on state/city property, not federal.
    Well, it was a bit obscure with all his "hypothetical" talk, but we all took "drop a couple of items in the mail" as "at the local Post Office".

-- John F. Kennedy

In WI any non federal parking lot is OK. It is written into the law that parking lots cannot be posted so you may carry in or through them as well as leave your gun if the building you are entering is posted. No hypothetical laws broken on this journey.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I agree with what others are saying about this being a city/state owned parking lot. Parking lots are not prohibited areas as long as they are not federal lots. As the OP describes the situation, no crime was committed in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    Well, it was a bit obscure with all his "hypothetical" talk, but we all took "drop a couple of items in the mail" as "at the local Post Office".
    Nope. Read the OP...nothing was said about a post office
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links