I'm ready to start my concealed carry journey!

This is a discussion on I'm ready to start my concealed carry journey! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Title should read: "I'm ready TO start my concealed carry journey"...oops! I got my license, belt, holster, and firearm. I have read Principles of Personal ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: I'm ready to start my concealed carry journey!

Title should read: "I'm ready TO start my concealed carry journey"...oops!

I got my license, belt, holster, and firearm. I have read Principles of Personal Defense (Jeff Copper), and am currently reading In The Gravest Extreme (Massad Ayoob), in order to orient me with a better mindset of personal protection.

I am only 21 years old so I know I have a lot to learn, but I am very excited and anxious at the responsibility of carrying a firearm for self-defense. Tomorrow will be my first time carrying concealed, so wish me luck!

Any advice is welcome and greatly appreciated from you guys.
    Buckj likes this.

The respect, and responsibility of carrying a firearm comes with time. Took me 6 years to really have full respect of what I do, and the true care of others.

I carry now in a relaxed way, and still have caution around me.
    yooperdug likes this.

I just applied for my ccw and also ready to carry.I have a gun.Waiting for the permit.Kinda nervous and excited all in one.Thanks for sharing what your reading.Sounds like good stuff.What will be your weapon of choice?
    Don't believe everything you think.

This along with the attorney general's page for your home state is a good idea. I have noticed in the news that there are some folks out there that don't pay attention to states they can not carry in. If you ever go to CA, NY, NJ, MD or MA, DO NOT CARRY for the most part. I lived in ME for a couple of yeas and obtained a non-resident MA permit, there are a lot of laws that you have to be careful of when you carry there. I didn't renew it since it lasted a year, cost $100 and a trip to Chelsea, MA for the interview. Just remember where you can and cant carry, and hope that you never have to use it, but have it just in case! Keep Safe!!
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    wear your holster around the house for several hours and adjust it till you can walk, run and sit in comfort... then go for a trip to Walmart and walk around you'll be constently touching your side and don't worry people don't pay attention to each other enough to see your gun...... Congrads, be careful, and practice shooting and gun safety...
    yooperdug likes this.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

I'm taking my CCDW course Saturday. I'm glad to see you're both excited and nervous, and doing your homework. Me too. It's a serious responsibility, because having the power to defend yourself lethally means, by definition, the power to easily do a lot of damage very, very quickly.

For me that means it's a permanent mindset, not just a tool I have with me. Hurting people, even BG's, isn't a little thing.

Most of the rights worth having are like that, though. They're weighty, and carry responsibility most never consider.

cj
    I highly recommend finding some good courses in your area and budgeting in some visits. I'm not sure if requiring a class for a CCW (as it is in my state) is a good or bad thing, as I've seen too many people who take that basic minimal course and believe themselves competent with firearms. I think the quote I heard that sums it up is, "People don't take one karate class and think they're a black belt, but that's what a lot of CCW class takers seem to think".

My other advice is...don't **** with it. I personally believe that a large number of the accidents encountered are from people simply messing around with their firearm when it wasn't necessary (a good example was the negligent discharge of the airline pilot who was forced to follow rules requiring him to remove his firearm during certain times of the flight...really unnecessary messing around that was a rule instituted by a group of people who probably didn't know a thing about firearms).

Meanwhile, good luck, and I pray you never have to use your weapon!
    kerberos likes this.

It’s a lot of responsibility, wear it wisely. I was reading in another form of a man that lost his right because he didn't follow the laws of his state. He was charged with discharging his firearm even though he was in the right. So I say learn the law and BE THE ADULT when it comes to defusing a situation. To take a life is one thing but to live with the idea is another and Don’t be afraid to ask a question
    yooperdug likes this.

congrats sir! i too thought it would be a big deal to cc but after a few weeks its like normal and it'll slip ur mine for a second every once in a while. welcome and good luck!
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

DeadEye09...Welcome to the world of responsibility & freedom....you make me proud!!

Be safe and enjoy.

Make sure to find out weather your state follows "Duty to retreat" laws or "Stand your ground" laws.

I have been CC for 2 1/2 years, since I was 21, and I can only give one piece of advice that may carry some weight amongst the majority of these guys who seem like they have been doing it for a long time.

Me being a young guy like you I know that we want to socialize and hang with our buddies. One of the first things I learned while carrying is that aside from minding our own manners we have to mind our friends manners as well. So be careful about that.
    yooperdug and Azchief like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer_Heaven View Post
    Be safe and enjoy.

Make sure to find out weather your state follows "Duty to retreat" laws or "Stand your ground" laws.

I have been CC for 2 1/2 years, since I was 21, and I can only give one piece of advice that may carry some weight amongst the majority of these guys who seem like they have been doing it for a long time.

Me being a young guy like you I know that we want to socialize and hang with our buddies. One of the first things I learned while carrying is that aside from minding our own manners we have to mind our friends manners as well. So be careful about that.
    Very true. Remember the old saying, "Your judged by the company you keep". If you hang with people who look/act like thugs, your going to be considered a thug as well. Also, if your with someone who starts trouble and end up using your weapon, it is going to bring into question as to whether you are truely an innocent party.

Remember, your weapon is the last tool in your box, not the first one you reach for. Situational awareness is your best friend, less than lethal defensive tools are always something you want with you and never draw your weapon unless your life is in danger and you have no other options.
    yooperdug and ep1953 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks a lot guys! I have a lot of background with handling firearms, since I grew up hunting since I was 8 years old or so. I hang out with good old boys like me (some also carry, as well), so "thug" is the last thing that comes to mind when someone looks at me (or us) haha

And I have been reading my state laws (GEORGIA), and becoming more and more familiar with them. From what I can tell, Georgia is one of the more "lenient" and "pro-carry" states, with not as many restrictions compared to states like CA, MA, NY, NJ, etc.

As with anything new, at first it will seem so out of the ordinary that you will be constantly thinking about it, assuming that everyone knows or are aware you carry.

Those feelings decrease with time and the more you carry your weapon. All of us had to start at the point you are, but with time it will be come almost routine and your comfort level will increase.

Thanks for taking the time to learn and to mirror what others have said, stay safe and welcome to our world.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I have had my CHL since 2001 and am always learning something about what it means to carry. The best advice I have ever recieved came from this site. I'll give Sixto the credit but don't know if it was him. Follow the 3 S rule!!!!
    1. Don't do Stupid things
    2. Don't go to Stupid places
    3. Don't be around Stupid people
    That and good SA will serve you well.
    Good luck.
    kerberos, .45acpguy and ep1953 like this.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links