Carrying across state borders

This is a discussion on Carrying across state borders within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I travel a lot with my job outside of my home state of PA. In some of the states that I travel in , I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Carrying across state borders

I travel a lot with my job outside of my home state of PA. In some of the states that I travel in , I would be breaking the law if I possessed a loaded handgun. However, I also would hate to be in a position where I was a victim because I chose to follow the local law but Mr. Bad Guy does not. What is your opinion on this?

I personally obey the laws of the land and avoid going places it illegal to carry.
    afojc and .45acpguy like this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I have family and property in Maryland (your neighbor state) and ALWAYS disarm there.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    It is against this site's policy to advocate breaking the law, so your response is probably going to be one-sided.

My wife's family still reside in the People's Republic of Illinois. They do not issue or recognize concealed carry permits even though they are now surrounded by states that will.

When we travel there for visits, our permits and handguns are welcome in Kentucky, and Indiana only.

Crossing the Wabash River on I-64 into the Land of Lincoln, we must unload the weapons and store both them and ammo in separate places. So basically we are disarmed.

It sucks big time, but that is the law in Illinois so to be law abiding citizens we do follow them to the letter.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    I see that the OP is a new participant here. I didn't interpret his question as seeking the advice to carry illegally. Rather, I interpreted it as a sincere question.

The sincere answer is the present situation on interstate carry stinks. If you live in PA as the OP does, you are surrounded. You can't carry in NY, NJ, Maryland, and I'm unsure about WV and OH.

Search this board for discussions of FOPA-- Firearms owners protection act. It tells you what you can do and what you can not do. And keep in mind that you must obey this law and all others meticulously. That often means you can't do what you want. You can't often even have the weapon locked in your trunk. FOPA is strictly for protection of the traveler, and even brief interruptions in travel can cause problems; as can travel through states which mostly ignore it and find one reason or another to ignore the plain meaning of it.

As best I can tell from years of reading this board, a prudent person would never rely on FOPA in NJ, NY, Maryland. (Although I have actually seen memorandums to NJ State Police that pretty well spelled out that they should follow FOPA. Problem is, its NJ.)

Search around here and you'll quickly see that things that fly in some states will land you in jail in others. Things officers in
    some places will ignore, will be strictly enforced in other states. Hot Guns has pretty well spelled out how it works for him as an
    LEO in Arkansas. I assure you it won't work that way in NY or NJ or Maryland.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

My Delaware CCDW permit will not allow me to leave my State as all surrounding States do not honor the Delaware permit. Luckily, I have a LEOSO (HR-218) permit which they have to honor.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I don't go to any state where my firearm is not allowed.
    What about visiting relatives in such states? Oh well...
    TVille likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

DL
    I often drive from NY to Fla. I have a CCW for my home state and I always carry in states where my Florida and Utah permit reciprocity applies. As I drive through states like South Carolina that do not have reciprocity my pistols are secured in a locked gun safe in the vehicle with ammo stored separately as law requires. I can not stop in those states legally but can pass through. I probably would not stop in a state that does not honor my permits anyway. No loss as far as I am concerned.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Also be sure to check out Handgunlaw.us. While generally accurate, if you are planing on traveling to or through a particular state, be sure to READ the laws of that state.

VIP Member
    The correct thing to do is obey the laws of the state you are in. No one on this forum is going to advise you to break the law.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I just store weapons and ammo in all the states I inhabit.
    noway2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by archhunt02 View Post
    I travel a lot with my job outside of my home state of PA. In some of the states that I travel in , I would be breaking the law if I possessed a loaded handgun. However, I also would hate to be in a position where I was a victim because I chose to follow the local law but Mr. Bad Guy does not. What is your opinion on this?
    You don't say which states your are referring to....PA's license is good in WV. If you get an AZ, FL, or UT permit you are then covered in De and OH. Does that help any?

If you feel that unsafe in your travels, perhaps you should consider some non resident permits. Granted states like, NY, NJ, MD will most likely never let you carry, which is why I will never travel to those states. With my permit collection I am covered in 41 of the 50 states. The paperwork and classes are a bit of a pain, but with the right combination, you should be able to get good coverage. Keep Safe!!
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I see that the OP is a new participant here. I didn't interpret his question as seeking the advice to carry illegally. Rather, I interpreted it as a sincere question.

The sincere answer is the present situation on interstate carry stinks.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    If you live in PA as the OP does, you are surrounded. You can't carry in NY, NJ, Maryland, and I'm unsure about WV and OH.
    WV honors PA. Living in SWVA I travel that route to PA from time-to-time.

The OP might want to get a UT out-of-State -- that would open up OH and a bunch of other States.

FWIIW, I would love to see a matrix showing for each State what out-of-State permits provide what additional coverage.

FWIIW2, does anyone know what's up with http://test.carryconcealed.net/packngo/index.php ? It times out on me. Or for that matter, know of another site that work the way it did, when it worked?
    Last edited by DaveH; February 3rd, 2012 at 11:31 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links