Sig P-238 Magazine Failure

This is a discussion on Sig P-238 Magazine Failure within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the range this weekend and had a scary thing happen when shooting my Sig P-238. The base plate of the Sig Factory ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rjfleming

Thread: Sig P-238 Magazine Failure

I went to the range this weekend and had a scary thing happen when shooting my Sig P-238. The base plate of the Sig Factory 7 Round Magazine came off!!! When I say came off I mean the baseplate separated from the magazine dumping the spring, follower and ammunition out the bottom of the magazine. Since this was a practice session I simply gathered up all the component off the shooting table, but what if this had actually been a life or death situation? If you carry locked and loaded you would have one round in the chamber and be looking at a magazine change if you also had an extra mag in your pocket, if not????

Upon closer examination of this magazine the baseplates are tack welded in place on the interior of the mag. On this mag there wasn't much more to hold the baseplate than the heat discoloration of the stainless. This was a fairly new magazine and has only been cycled a half a dozen times before this failure. What's scary is I am now concerned about the quality control of all the Sig P-238 magazines as I can see no way to assure this will not happen again. Additionally, this appears to be a poor choice of affixing a magazine baseplate since these little Sigs really has only one purpose, and that is Concealed Carry and Personal Defense. I contacted Sig and they have shipped me a replacement magazine. I contacted my local gunsmith and he tells me this is not an isolated occurrence and suggested I bring in a magazine that I use for carry and he would TIG weld the baseplate to be sure this cannot happen at least to that magazine.

My question is has anyone else had this problem?

Administrator
    It has been known to happen with mags featuring a tac welded floorplate.
    Thankfully it's an extremely rare event. Buy a lottery ticket.
    Folks should always carry at least one spare magazine for that as well as other reasons.

This is one of the reasons to Always Carry A Spare Magazine. Long Long Ago in a Distant Exotic Land I had the base plate of a Government Issued 1911 Magazine separate after the first shot, dumping the follower, spring and rounds on the ground, fortunatly one 230 gr FMJ was all that was required. I remember franticaly attempting a malfunction drill when it failed to fire the second round. The Body of the Mag did not drop free and had to be pulled out with a finger in the opening. The main learning points were (1) Clean Pistol regularly. (2) Clean Magazines inside and out, this one was rusty inside and had probably been in Vietnam a lot longer than I had.(3) Practice Immediate action drills until they're second nature.
    QKShooter likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    murphy strikes again...

magizines are possibly the most troublesome aspct of the semi-auto

i number/code my mags and 3 is minimum for a gun. a mag will be trusted after it has functioned 10 times
    of the many with welded bottoms i have never had a failour as you describe.
    but i will consider a test of the weld in the future--perhaps remove the follower & spring and tap the base with a rod.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    If it is built by man, sooner or later it will fail, usually at the absolute worse time.

Always carry a spare magazine, and train on clearing the malfunction.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    FYI - I believe that COLT Mustang magazines are interchangeable with SIGs mags.
    CDNN has some for sale
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

JD
    Administrator
    As mentioned elsehwhere, contact Sig and the should replace the mag. Was it of the new or old follower?

new on left / old on right

VIP Member
    Mags fail, it happens. I once had a Glock magazine fall apart in simliar fashion as you described. Stuff breaks. Always carry a spare magazine with an autoloader. Always.

Stuff happens and then you die.

This was a new Sig factory that has the new follower. The problem is you cannot look at the baseplates and see the tack weld. The tack weld is the only thing that holds the baseplate. Some magazines have a sliding baseplate that locks into place like a Glock, making them much more reliable. As for me I will have at least one of my Sig magazines TIG welded from the bottom where there will be metal melted into metal creating a baseplate that will never come off. Always having a spare magazine is good choice, but the one in the gun is the most important. The Colt Mustang magazine will fit into a Sig P-238 and vice versa, but the lip on the Colt magazine is different. Sig bought Colt's patent so they can produce this handgun, but the handgun has been redesigned, so it is not a Mustang and doesn't feed like the Mustang. For reliable functioning I would suggest staying with the Sig magazines, just watch those baseplates.

Sponsored Links