Do I have a chance?

This is a discussion on Do I have a chance? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys... new here and just had a few questions that have been craving answers. I recently applied for my CCW (OK) and am now ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Do I have a chance?

Do I have a chance?

Hey guys... new here and just had a few questions that have been craving answers.

I recently applied for my CCW (OK) and am now in the waiting period. In 2006 (18 years of age) I recieved a MIP of alcohol in Texas.
    All I had to do was pay a fine and I've never been able to find any trace of it on my record. Again in 2008 I recieved a MIP of alcohol in Illinois on a business trip. This time I was arrested and charged. I posted bail and returned home to Oklahoma. A few weeks later I recieved a letter in the mail
    from the arresting agency in Illionois containing a refund check for my bail and a letter stating they had dropped the charges "FOR NOW." At this point I thought I was clear of it. A month later I recieved a letter stating that they reopened the case and I had a date to appear in court. Well seeing as its a 14 hour drive from here to there I never made the court date and have never heard anything else from them. I can't even seem to find the arrest on a national background search. I've also purchased several guns since that time with no problems. However I did list them on the application just in case OSBI discovered them somehow. So my question is... If they don't appear on my record but they are on my application will this prevent me from getting the license? Or... if they do appear on my record will they prevent me from getting it?

It's a bit of a complicated mess I know but some knowledgeable advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The best advice I can give you is this. These things never just go away on their own. The sooner you deal with a problem like this the easier it will be.
    Last edited by atctimmy; February 4th, 2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: typo
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation - SDA FAQs
    A good rule of thumb would be if you were arrested and fingerprinted, you should include that information on your application.
    From what I have heard omitting something on your application will get you denied. Even though the offense you omitted might not be a reason for denial.

Michael

You need to list any and all arrests and dispositions,if they find an offense you omitted you can kiss the application good bye,I would contact the clerk of the court where the offense was and get it taken care of.If it does show an arrest you may need to get the case disposition paperwork to submit with the application
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I know for a fact a number of people in Oklahoma that have just put on their application that they were arrested or had traffic tickets in the past. Then listed a best guess as to when the offense took place. Things like an arrest for whatever sometime around 1972 was good enough.
    That way it did not look like they were trying to hide anything. They all received their permits.

Michael

I would search my records with a fine tooth comb and take care or atleast look into anything I find before trying to get a permit. Do yourself a favor and stay out of the alcohol, thats twice you got nailed.
    Rhcmlc and Outer_Heaven like this.

When I have done background checks for Customers that have bought guns, arrests delay the check. They check into the arrest and find more info. If it's not a felony they normally get a proceed. I don't know if this will help you.

If you missed the court date and did not contact them you probably have an open warrant your arrest. You know how to contact them and get on your way to getting it resolved, and you did do the crime, so man up and get it taken care of.
    skysoldier29 and msgt/ret like this.

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

It's good you did list the arrests on your application. Failure to do so is a crime and could have caused you legal issues for filing a false application. If the arrests do not show when the OSBI does the background check, then your permit will probably be approved.

I would advise you to contact the state of Illinois and the jurisdiction where the arrest took place. Find out the status and see what needs to be done to resolve the issue. Then follow through and get it taken care of.

Being able to purchase a gun does not equate to being able to get a carry permit. Most states will hold to a higher standard for the ability to carry, than to the ability to purchase. Think of it like a car. You can buy a car without a drivers license, but you can't drive it without the license.

Good luck.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Few here in Wisconsin have found they had minor issues that had not been cleared up turn out not to be a big deal just get the paper work done.
    many years ago I had a warrant out for me in Indiana for assault it was really no big deal I left the country and for got about it. Some years latter it came up on some other back round checks with the Army. I called the DA in that area and ask him what I need to do to clear it up. He ask my address and for some other information. I figured I was going to jail.
    A month latter I got a letter tell me it was dropped and Indiana has no interest in the case.
    Check into it you are likely worry about nothing.
    I do not know about your state but Wisconsin they are not worried about things that are not disqualifiers .

Yes, welcome to the forum.

Chances are high that there is a warrant for your head. Get some money and get on the phone. This is most likely something that can be fixed with money. But you need to get it fixed.

There have been members here who posted that they were rejected their CCW for a "Failure to Appear" warrant on an out of state speeding ticket which happened six or seven years prior to their ccw application. Also, members who were denied, again, for failure to appear on a warrant for "failing to produce insurance" during a traffic stop while driving their parents car.

These things have a habit of coming back on you when you least expect it. Just because you can't find it on your record does not mean it won't surface someday. There are a lot of nit picky warrants which don't show up during routine traffic stops when you are out of state because the issuing jurisdiction doesn't want to bother with the expense to extradite someone back to the issuing jurisdiction. But try and get something like a ccw license, and BAM, there it is...

Also, records which get "expunged" are never really expunged. I have a close friend who once got a DUI and failed to take care of it. About 5 years later, he got an attorney and decided to address the issue. He paid well over $10,000 to pay fines, attorney fees and to get his record expunged. He had even gotten pulled over several times in the ensuing years and it seemed that it never appeared on his record during the traffic stops. 19 years later, he gets another DUI. When appearing before the judge, guess what? That first DUI almost 20 years prior, which he paid over $10K to have expunged was sitting before the judge, clear on the other side of the state. Judge told him... "That's two! One more and you'll do prison time!" My friend was stunned. You just never know when things will raise their ugly head.

Your best bet is to suck it up, take care of business and then hope for the best. You're probably going to have to spend some bucks and probably go back to Illinois to address that issue. Whatever you do, I would seek the advice of an attorney. Until you take care of this, don't be surprised if it holds up your ccw permit getting issued.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by ramble View Post
    Hey guys... new here and just had a few questions that have been craving answers.

I recently applied for my CCW (OK) and am now in the waiting period. In 2006 (18 years of age) I recieved a MIP of alcohol in Texas.
    All I had to do was pay a fine and I've never been able to find any trace of it on my record. Again in 2008 I recieved a MIP of alcohol in Illinois on a business trip. This time I was arrested and charged.
    I posted bail and returned home to Oklahoma. A few weeks later I recieved a letter in the mail
    from the arresting agency in Illionois containing a refund check for my bail and a letter stating they had dropped the charges "FOR NOW." At this point I thought I was clear of it. A month later I recieved a letter stating that they reopened the case and I had a date to appear in court. Well seeing as its a 14 hour drive from here to there I never made the court date and have never heard anything else from them. I can't even seem to find the arrest on a national background search. I've also purchased several guns since that time with no problems. However I did list them on the application just in case OSBI discovered them somehow. So my question is... If they don't appear on my record but they are on my application will this prevent me from getting the license? Or... if they do appear on my record will they prevent me from getting it?

It's a bit of a complicated mess I know but some knowledgeable advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Well, two charges for under age drinking two years apart, a failure to appear and no attempt to fix it for four years...do I have that correct?

Now, at the ripe old age of 24, you suddenly have the maturity to be granted a license for a concealed deadly weapon to be carried around me and mine...

I most surely hope they deny your application as they well should! Clean up your record and maybe in a few more years you can re-apply and demonstrate a history worthy of the responsibility that goes with carrying a weapon in public.
    Bark'n, Palumbo3284 and MadMac like this.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Slightly off topic...

I wonder what the LEOs think when you tell them you committed a crime but they find no record of it. Do they dig deeper or figure you made a mistake? What if you 'admit' to a disqualifying offense or some minor felony years ago in another state but there's no record?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Well when I missed the court date I figured a warrant would be issued.
    For some reason I dont believe one ever was. I contacted an attorney
    In Illinois back when all this happened and before the original hearing he advised me to have the hearing
    Moved to Oklahoma. I contacted the county clerk and these people were absolutely
    No help and basically refused to even talk about the situation other than saying I would
    To come back to Illinois and they could do nothing to help me out. I did not have the money
    Nor the time to make it back. It was all bogus in my opinion. I was sitting
    At a hotel lobby bar 2 months before my 21st birthday. A co worker slid me a beer and
    a cop walked around the corner just as it hit my lips. The rest is history
    Also, can a person still get approved on a gun purchase with
    A warrant out for their arrest? Because I have been approved on 3 since
    that fiasco.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links