say my uncle owns a restaurant/ bar...

This is a discussion on say my uncle owns a restaurant/ bar... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so a relative I am close with owns a chain of restaurants...I know my rights as an employee of the restaurant. i understand that ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mcp1810

Thread: say my uncle owns a restaurant/ bar...

say my uncle owns a restaurant/ bar...

Ok so a relative I am close with owns a chain of restaurants...I know my rights as an employee of the restaurant. i understand that CCW permits allow only people with the permit allowed in the bar area UNARMED. My question is am I allowed on the job without being in contact with the bar area? I can carry in the job on the reg and up to now one has noticed but it is a natural right as far as I am concerned to bear arms as a citizen of the USA but i choose am choosing to let the other manager know about me on duty at the bar area? should I let him/her know or is it in my rights to keep to myself??? I know my rights and that is of personal privacy and do I have a right to bear arms as an employee of a restaurant?

thanks in advance of your responses,
    Bill

2. Remove Ads

In FLA if you are an employee of the bar you, with the owners permission, can carry concealed anywhere in that bar while on the job

Hi from Vermont
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    In FLA if you are an employee of the bar you, with the owners permission, can carry concealed anywhere in that bar while on the job

^^^^^^^This is how Michigan law is written^^^^^^^^^^^

as well. If you own/work at an establishment where alcohol is served, have permission from the owner to carry, then you are all set.

Welcome from Michigan!!!!!!!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Your reference?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I don't have the time to play legal eagle, if you want legal advice, pay a lawyer

VIP Member
    I don't have the time to play legal eagle, if you want legal advice, pay a lawyer
    geez...you had time to answer the question rather authoritatively....could you at least extend the courtesy to the original poster as to where you got that information from? if you only heard that, then fine, just say it, ...is it based on law that you read, etc?
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I am not a lawyer but here are a couple of relevant sections (IMHO) of the laws there.
    From 790.06 :
    (12)(a) A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into:
    1. Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05;
    2. Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
    3. Any detention facility, prison, or jail;
    4. Any courthouse;
    5. Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
    6. Any polling place;
    7. Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
    8. Any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
    9. Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
    10. Any elementary or secondary school facility or administration building;
    11. Any career center;
    12. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
    Emphasis added
    So in general a concealed license does not allow you in the part of the business where alcohol is served. But we also have,
    from 790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.—: (3) Lawful uses
    (n) A person possessing arms at his or her home or place of business;
    I don't know if there is any case law narrowing that last part. They could have determined for it to be your place of business you must have ownership interest in the business. But absent that it looks like you would be ok to me. But again, I am NOT a lawyer and this free legal opinion is worth about what you paid for it.
    OldVet likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by stig15 View Post
    but it is a natural right as far as I am concerned to bear arms as a citizen of the USA
    It was written into the Bill of Rights, but we gun oweners also have these niggling problems called state and local laws. It's OK to maintain these lofty sentiments, but if you break the law and are discovered, that high-minded rhetoric isn't going to keep you out of trouble - or jail.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    .—: (3) Lawful uses
    (n) A person possessing arms at his or her home or place of business;

I don't know if there is any case law narrowing that last part. They could have determined for it to be your place of business you must have ownership interest in the business. But absent that it looks like you would be ok to me. But again, I am NOT a lawyer and this free legal opinion is worth about what you paid for it.
    That's my "non-legal" reading also--that it possibly applies to the business owner only, not any employee who chooses to exercise his "right" to carry concealed in a prohibited place.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    What does your boss say about carrying on the job? There opinion is the one that matters.

I totally agree with Toorop, this is what I wanted to say. I would ask the owner of the restaurant if it's ok, because you need his permission anyway. Of course you can start a discussion afterwards if he refuses to give you the permission, but I would ask first. It's also interesting to read the sentences from the law... I'm not allowed if it's allowed through law?

ask him if it all right to carry while working,and explane why its a good idear to have some one arm.

Links