KY CCDW Course Complete

This is a discussion on KY CCDW Course Complete within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took the KY CCDW course today. It was long, but I think the information covered was good and well-presented. It's all stuff that, while mind-numbing ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: KY CCDW Course Complete

KY CCDW Course Complete

Took the KY CCDW course today. It was long, but I think the information covered was good and well-presented.

It's all stuff that, while mind-numbing during the course, I'm glad I now know. It's clearly not a shooting course, or a safety course. It's about the procedures and the law.

So now the waiting game begins. I really good at waiting.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats man!- continue to study your states laws and regs. Dont ever forget the increased accountability and responsibility that comes with C.C.
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

Yeah, I hope I have the appropriate mix of excitement, fear (by which I mean respect) and concern. It's more of a lifestyle change than an addition to my wardrobe.

I see it as a right which brings a heavy responsibility and a sobering duty.

Congrats! Yep, I was well trained in "Hurry Up And Wait" during my younger days.
    pfries likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I been carrying for going on 6 years now,It's not even a thought process,like carrying my wallet same goes with my gun,I have also enlightened many other people I have met into the Concealed carry environment,and many of them now carry their own weapons
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drbald1 View Post
    Took the KY CCDW course today. It was long, but I think the information covered was good and well-presented.

It's all stuff that, while mind-numbing during the course, I'm glad I now know. It's clearly not a shooting course, or a safety course. It's about the procedures and the law.

So now the waiting game begins. I really good at waiting.
    Congrats on both the decision to take responsibility for your own well being, and for getting the class completed.

The waiting will be easier if you regard it as a chance to practice carrying by carrying in your place of residence. Don't go outside with it, but in your residence, watching TV, doing what you do when you are there, get used to the holster, and the gun. Practice what you will do when you go to the restroom in a resturant, get used to having the gun on you work out the details of how you will carry it so you don't have to be constantly adjusting it or touching it. It will also give you a chance to work out where and how to handle the gun so you "know" what your safe direction is, where it will be at all times it isn't in a safe, and so forth.

Start with it unloaded but a magazine in your pocket. When you are comfortable with it, put the magazine in. After a couple days of that, go ahead with one in the hcamber. You will have gained quite a bit of experience with it in just a few days. It will be time well spent. I know because that's what I did.

Fitch
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. by H. L. Mencken

TJx
    I took mine back in November. The certificate took every bit of the allocated 15 business days but once I applied at the sheriffs office it only took 2 weeks so overall not too bad.

I found out that the certificates are all processed by one individual. It's easier for me to wait patiently when I realize there's one poor woman trying to get all that info entered.

Thanks for all the good advice. I've been carrying in the home, so it will that much closer to natural when I leave the house with it.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Mine was here in under 30 days, my wife's was two weeks later even though we took the course together. Good info in the course, but the videos were pretty dull!
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

From Louisville, congrats on your CDW , it shouldnt take to long.The longest is getting the instructor to send in his paper work, afterwhich you'll get your approval letter in the mail.Then u have to take it to the sheriffs office for photo & processing & $60.00.Mine took about two weeks before they sent me a notice that my CDW was in & waiting to be picked up.Be sure u have your drivers license with you to pick it up.

VIP Member
    Congrats on completing your course.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I think the KY average is 5 weeks from course to carry. The good news is I've got plenty to do in the next three months, so keeping busy isn't a problem!

It took mine like 60 days to be approved in Ky, well worth the wait! Ky is a great state for conceal carry!

Quote Originally Posted by Beamshot View Post
    It took mine like 60 days to be approved in Ky, well worth the wait! Ky is a great state for conceal carry!
    You know, it's interesting. I have seen such a large variance in how long both the training cert and then the actual notice to pick up take in Kentucky that I am very curious as to what determines these huge differences. In my case it took 1 month for me to get the training cert back (even though we were all told it should take 15 days) and so far I've waited 7 weeks, and continue to wait, for my notice to pick up at the Jefferson County Sherif's Office. On other discussion boards, I have read about other people from Kentucky doing their training, getting their training certificates and actually receiving their licenses in 30 days total. They started the process after me and finished the entire process in less time than I've waited just for the pickup notification. The only thing I can figure is that this must vary from county to county and maybe the KSP works the applications by county. Maybe the process is much faster if you come from a county where no one is applying? I just wish there were a way to track your application's progress just so you'd know it wasn't lost in the bureaucratic shuffle. It would be a shame to wait the entire 90 days only to find out the application is lost behind someone's desk.

TJx
    Quote Originally Posted by SpentRound View Post
    You know, it's interesting. I have seen such a large variance in how long both the training cert and then the actual notice to pick up take in Kentucky that I am very curious as to what determines these huge differences. In my case it took 1 month for me to get the training cert back (even though we were all told it should take 15 days) and so far I've waited 7 weeks, and continue to wait, for my notice to pick up at the Jefferson County Sherif's Office. On other discussion boards, I have read about other people from Kentucky doing their training, getting their training certificates and actually receiving their licenses in 30 days total. They started the process after me and finished the entire process in less time than I've waited just for the pickup notification. The only thing I can figure is that this must vary from county to county and maybe the KSP works the applications by county. Maybe the process is much faster if you come from a county where no one is applying? I just wish there were a way to track your application's progress just so you'd know it wasn't lost in the bureaucratic shuffle. It would be a shame to wait the entire 90 days only to find out the application is lost behind someone's desk.
    Your instructor may have been slow to get out the training certificate to the state? The state by law has to process it within 15 business days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links