Most desirable non-resident state permits?

This is a discussion on Most desirable non-resident state permits? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently have a FL resident permit. I am looking to obtain a non-resident permit in a few states which are also honored by Florida. ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Most desirable non-resident state permits?

Most desirable non-resident state permits?

I currently have a FL resident permit. I am looking to obtain a non-resident permit in a few states which are also honored by Florida. Obviously I should consider what states I most likely will visit, which would be Washington and Virginia. However, I'm open to looking at other states who offer non resident permits, that have a good combination of the following:

-valid length of permit
    -most reciprocity with other states
    -preferably no address and/or photo on id. Florida's CWP does not display your address.
    -training requirements
    -durable plastic id as as opposed to paper.
    -possibly not required to be shown along with valid id when CWP presented.

Bottom line is that I am trying to maintain my ability to carry in FL under another state's non-resident CWP permit in order to add a layer of privacy to my wallet. The non-address Resident FL CWP is pretty good, but it still gives away that I am a resident of Florida.

So, Florida resident CWP holders, what non-resident permits do you have?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Well, crap. I guess I should've read handgunlaw.us's Florida PDF before posting this. Evidently Florida doesn't recognize non-res permits from other states.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

2. Remove Ads

Florida does not recognize non-reisdent permits.

Layer of privacy? I'm confused. No one should be looking in your wallet...you have a gun.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by ROFL SQUAD View Post
    I currently have a FL resident permit. I am looking to obtain a non-resident permit in a few states which are also honored by Florida. Obviously I should consider what states I most likely will visit, which would be Washington and Virginia. However, I'm open to looking at other states who offer non resident permits, that have a good combination of the following:

-valid length of permit
    -most reciprocity with other states
    -preferably no address and/or photo on id. Florida's CWP does not display your address.
    -training requirements
    -durable plastic id as as opposed to paper.
    -possibly not required to be shown along with valid id when CWP presented.

Bottom line is that I am trying to maintain my ability to carry in FL under another state's non-resident CWP permit in order to add a layer of privacy to my wallet. The non-address Resident FL CWP is pretty good, but it still gives away that I am a resident of Florida.

So, Florida resident CWP holders, what non-resident permits do you have?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Well, crap. I guess I should've read handgunlaw.us's Florida PDF before posting this. Evidently Florida doesn't recognize non-res permits from other states.
    You'll never get that one... You'll always have to show valid ID when presenting your CCW permit, since the permit itself isn't recognized as identification.

As to the rest, I got Arizona, and then I didn't need Florida because my WA permit gives me Florida. Other than that, I think they're pretty similar, and my address isn't shown on it. And as you mentioned in your *edit, you still need your resident Florida permit to carry there.

And please, come to WA. We'd love to have you, and your FL permit is good here. And, we need the tourist dollars since our Governor keeps spending all or our own money
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Thanks for the replies guys. I shalt doeth more due diligence on stuff like this next time.

I work for a bank. I've seen too many cases of identity theft from all the crap that people keep in their wallets. Hence my precautions.

I won't be moving to WA anytime soon, but I do have family there and will be titling and registering a vehicle there soon. Totally off-topic, but what counties do not require emissions inspections?

OT, what was required in the AZ permit?
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

TJx
    Quote Originally Posted by ROFL SQUAD View Post

OT, what was required in the AZ permit?
    Send for a packet, short app, 2 fingerprint cards, $60 for 5 years, your FL serves as training required, mine took about 30 days recently. You gain Nevada and lose WA, otherwise reciprocity states are the same.
    Plastic license, no pic or address.
    You may want to consider putting a freeze on your credit reports, someone can steal your identity but won't be able to get credit in your name without a credit check which with the freeze requires a password (even any creditor). It can be an inconvenience at times but is well worth the peace of mind.

With your FL permit, you can carry in WA.

Use this site for additional and important info... USA Carry - Your #1 Concealed Carry Resource and Community

Click on either of the two maps at the top of the page: Concealed Carry Maps, or Concealed Carry Permit Info
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My VA resident CHP is on thin card stock with no picture. I laminated it.

My FL non-resident CWP is much better, but it does have my address & picture on it.

My PA non-resident permit is a piece of paper.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Roy McC View Post
    My VA resident CHP is on thin card stock with no picture. I laminated it.

My FL non-resident CWP is much better, but it does have my address & picture on it.

My PA non-resident permit is a piece of paper.
    Anyone getting a FL permit now, will not have an address on it.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; February 6th, 2012 at 10:08 PM.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Florida does not recognize non-reisdent permits.

Layer of privacy? I'm confused. No one should be looking in your wallet...you have a gun.
    Actually...it's procedure where I work to scan visitor's Driver's License photo before issuing them a pass. I've seen quite a few CCWs tucked in behind them, lol.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Anyone getting a FL permit now, will not have as address on it.
    I'm up to renew in 8 months, Will be getting 7 year permitt this time ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

The combination of my resident CO and non-resident UT cover virtually every state I care to travel thru or visit. At one time I also had FL and PA. We make the drive from CO to FL once or twice a year and I'm good to go all the way. We also get up to WA which is covered by my UT permit.

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Links