Penalty for carrying in a bar in WA state

This is a discussion on Penalty for carrying in a bar in WA state within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have a problem. I dont drink. And "icant" as much as my job allows. So every once in awhile my friends decide they ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: Penalty for carrying in a bar in WA state

Penalty for carrying in a bar in WA state

So I have a problem. I dont drink. And "icant" as much as my job allows. So every once in awhile my friends decide they are going to a bar. Now I am not going to drink, that isnt the issue. The issue is that they dont know I carry.

i cant find a law that tells me if going into the bar would be a misdemeanor and a fine or something more along the lines of a felony and a revocation of my license.

If this means I am gonna be a felon I am gonna have to tell a lot more people which I dont want to do. Anyone know anything. Btw I think its a travesty I cant frigging carry in a bar when I dont even drink.

2. Remove Ads

Life is full of tough choices,either don't carry into the bar,or don't go to bars with your friends.I t doesn't matter if it's a misdemeanor or a felony,even though we may not like the laws on the books,we don't advocate breaking laws regarding concealed carry.And to be honest in a packed bar if something did go down your ability to respond without jeopardizing other patrons could be difficult at best,in that situation a knife or"Unassing the establishment with zeal" could very well be a much better option.
    Fitch, Rotorblade and Brademan like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Life is full of tough choices,either don't carry into the bar,or don't go to bars with your friends. It doesn't matter if it's a misdemeanor or a felony,even though we may not like the laws on the books,we don't advocate breaking laws regarding concealed carry.
    Well said.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Do your due diligence and use this forum or USA Carry for state information. Better, look it up on your own and know the law. In SC, regardless of whether you drink or not, you cannot CC in a restaurant that serves--period/end of story and, as said above by dual, you can do whatever you want as long as you can live with the consequences--breaking the law (felony, misdemeanor etal) is not a responsible thing to do, particularly since the state of Washington has given you a special responsibility.
    I would add that Murphy's Law, if applied in your case, could have you leaving a restaurant, getting into a "what if" that required discharge of your firearm and now you have to explain why or how you are in possession of a CCW, when you were never allowed into the restaurant in the first place. Maybe you get a pass from authorities for protecting yourself but if you injure someone, civil damages can be significant for your "irresponsible and reckless behaviour".

Look in here... USA Carry - Your #1 Concealed Carry Resource and Community

Two maps at the top of the page: Concealed Carry Maps, or Concealed Carry Permit Info
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    This is your law in WA. Violate it and face the consequences.

RCW 9.41.300
    Weapons prohibited in certain places -- Local laws and ordinances -- Exceptions -- Penalty.
    (1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:
    (d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age;
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

RCW 9.41.300
    Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.

(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:

(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age; or

(12) Any person violating subsection (1) of this section is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

RCW 9A.20.021
    Maximum sentences for crimes committed July 1, 1984, and after.

(2) Gross misdemeanor. Every person convicted of a gross misdemeanor defined in Title 9A RCW shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a maximum term fixed by the court of up to three hundred sixty-four days, or by a fine in an amount fixed by the court of not more than five thousand dollars, or by both such imprisonment and fine.

I can't help you on your opinion of "Btw I think its a travesty I cant frigging carry in a bar when I dont even drink." But have you thought of contacting your elected officials about getting the law changed?

I hear you Lanner. I dont really go to bars but I do go to dinner with friends or acquaintances. I have to be careful because there are times when we may be asked to wait in the lounge/bar or even if we'd like to be seated in the lounge/bar. It's only been a couple of times when I was carrying and I've demurred by saying I needed to stretch my legs or needed to make a phone call. It is a reason I dont always carry if I am meeting with a large group for dinner tho.

And gross misdemeanor or not, I'm not doing it.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Yeah gross misdemeanor.

Thats what I was afraid of. Well I guess I wont be always carry never telling. Thank you to who found the actual penalties. Thats what I couldnt find. A fine would be acceptable but a gross misdemenor? Heck no.

Yes i have contacted elected officials. No, I dont violate the law because I couldnt find the penalty.

Also Its not the concern of drawing in a bar that worried me. Its that inevitably we all find ourselves in situations where life happens and your in a place you cant carry and your day wasnt supposed to go like that.

You need to come to Kansas. Quite legal to carry in any bar, etc. as long as it's not posted at the door with signage approved by the AG. Most of them , do not post. Have been zero issues related to it at all. Goes to show, the 'blood in the streets' groups, were wrong again. Big surprise.

Conceal carry people ought to be convincing their legislature to change the law.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I had this problem while living in WA. I was a resident in Seattle that used mass transit and did not own a car.

I choose to suggest a place that was legal for me to carry in. If everybody was against it and still wanted to go to bar, I would just say that I am not comfortable with that. At that point I let people choose weather they wanted my company or wanted to patronize the bar. I never had to say that I had a gun and I only had one incident where people still decided to go to the bar.

Carrying a gun is a right, however it is a right you must choose to exercise. When you exercise it IMHO, you give up a few choices about where to go and what to consume.

This is choice you have to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanner View Post
    So I have a problem. I dont drink. And "icant" as much as my job allows. So every once in awhile my friends decide they are going to a bar. Now I am not going to drink, that isnt the issue. The issue is that they dont know I carry.

i cant find a law that tells me if going into the bar would be a misdemeanor and a fine or something more along the lines of a felony and a revocation of my license.

If this means I am gonna be a felon I am gonna have to tell a lot more people which I dont want to do. Anyone know anything. Btw I think its a travesty I cant frigging carry in a bar when I dont even drink.
    IMO, The law does not say you can't go into a bar. it says you can go where they have the "over 21" signs. most of the time the pool tables and dart boards are not in those locations. but you still can't drink.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanner View Post
    Yeah gross misdemeanor.

Also Its not the concern of drawing in a bar that worried me. Its that inevitably we all find ourselves in situations where life happens and your in a place you cant carry and your day wasnt supposed to go like that.
    It is not the drawing in a bar that worries me. Read my last reply---it is drawing once you leave the restaurant as you walk in the dark to your car--kindly explain to the police or the BG who is now suing you, how come you have a firearm on yourself when you just left a restaurant that did not allow same. I guess ya can tell um you left it under a bush outside the restaurant--see how that flies in a civil court.

If you live in Spokane you could always try and talk them into coming over to Idaho where it is legal to carry in bars AND drink, though I highly suggest you don't do the latter while carrying, as long as you are below the .08 BAC. But it is a great law for those time you want to socialize and not drink without worrying about being stung up by your thumbs for doing so.

Kel carry, I guess there really is no good reply to that.

But I also suppose if I had to draw after leaving the establishment, then the gross misdeamenor would be the least of my concerns since hopefully I would have survived an attack at that point.

Thank you very much for the suggestion to try and eat elsewhere. I find that works sometimes or I beg off and leave. The problem is for me when in a group you dont always know if where you end up is going to be a place that is over/under 21.

Sounds like some of that states have it right. I dont think guns and alcohol mix but if im stone sober, me carrying shouldnt be an issue. But I still like most of WA :)

Links