So you pulled the trigger, now what?

This is a discussion on So you pulled the trigger, now what? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You leave 7-11 at around 10pm and head to the parking lot around back to get in your car. On your way there a man ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

You leave 7-11 at around 10pm and head to the parking lot around back to get in your car. On your way there a man jumps out of the shadows and poits a gun at you demanding your money or you'll be killed. You blade your weapon away from the attacker and act like your getting your wallet while drawing your gun and firing a instantly fatal COM shot. The police get there and there are no witness's or cameras. It seems like a good shoot. Would you talk to the police without out a lawyer present or would you refuse to give a statement even if they seem sympathetic> Whats the best way to handle this?

p.s. I know you guys love to do this but don't critique the scenario by saying how you'd never go to 7-11 at 10pm or park in the back. Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    LOL I love the PS. haha True enough.

It really depends on what state you are in. Personally, I would confirm my name and address and then I would ask to talk to a lawyer - politely.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Lead Moderator
    surrender weapon to PD, lawyer up. P.s. I might go to 7-11 at 10 pm, but hopefully my situational awareness would spot trouble before it got that close.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rvacoastie View Post
    .......there are no witness's or cameras.
    Am I using a revolver or an auto?
    Last edited by p8riot; August 24th, 2006 at 12:19 PM.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

ID myself, surrender my weapon if asked (its back where it belongs so as not to cause confusion on arriving LEOs). Question/answers depends on what they ask and how. I don't think you can totally clam up, but a simple "He attacked me" may suffice for the moment. Especially if his weapon is visible.

Lots of "what ifs" in this scenario.

Did I call the PD? If so, that's where your first remarks should be brief and to the point. You were attacked by a man with a gun and you need a medical reponse with the police.

If Ididn't summon said PD, then who did? That will also determine how the LEOs respond.

RJ
    Sometimes there's Justice
    Sometimes there's Just Us

Lead Moderator
    Hope I remember to keep my mouth shut, and find a good lawyer. Like was mentioned, you never said how the police were notified.

If I could my first call would have been to 911 to report the shooting, the second home to my wife to get her looking for the lawyer.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    "I was in fear for my life, and defended myself. I will be willing to provide a statement after I consult with legal counsel.

I was lawfully carrying my firearm, and here is my Florida CWFP and my ID."

If pressed after that:

"I was in fear for my life, and defended myself. I will be willing to provide a statement after I consult with legal counsel."

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

now p8triot, you wouldn't be thinking of walking away and going about your business would you ?
    The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

Have a plan

Your question is a good one, as we should have a plan for this type of situation if we carry a gun.

I have previously thought about this situation and done some research on it. My plan includes:

1. Call the police yourself if possible, and summon medical help for the person you shot.

2. Put your gun away in a safe place - holster, car trunk, etc.

3. Wait for the police/paramedics - keep hands in sight and be polite.

4. Give police your gun and your ID.

5. Give the briefest possible description of what happened and lawyer up. Possibly "he pointed his gun at me and asked for my wallet - I feared for my life and shot him in self defense - then I called the police."

6. Assume that you will be detained and taken to the police station. Wait there for your lawyer and give him the details - let him do the talking.

If you didn't think you were justified by pulling your gun and shooting, then you should probably turn over your weapon and ask for your lawyer, then be silent.

If based on the state your in, you were justified in pulling your gun and shooting then you have nothing to worry about, give your weapon to the police and answer their questions, then accompany them to the station for the official statement.

Point being, you better know before you pull your gun and shoot whether your justified or not.

Regardless of who called the police, you or someone else they are going to want the weapon and take you in to the station and talk to you with your lawyer, or without if you choose. Either way, at some point your are going to need a lawyer, when the other guys family sues you in civil court.

I personally would talk to the police if I had just shot someone, plainly telling them why I did it and why I was within my rights in Texas. After the fact is too late to second guess your own discision to use deadly force.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

IIRC in other threads on this subject, the consensus is you do not state you shot the perp. It is an admission of homicide, a confession.

You stop at "I was in fear of my life" and let them draw the obvious conclusions from the circumstances and your discharged weapon. Let your attorney decide how to handle any admission you need to make.

That means in your 911 call (and in all others, you should say you were attacked and a man has been shot.) You should state the location of all weaons, provide descriptions, etc. It is not your job to determine he is dead, by the way.

Say no more, whether you think you were justified or not. ANYTHING you say can be used against you in ways you might not anticipate.

Even if YOU beleive you are justified, there may be other who want to test that position.

My 2c.

C

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Point being, you better know before you pull your gun and shoot whether your justified or not.
    +100000 !!!

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Regardless of who called the police, you or someone else they are going to want the weapon and take you in to the station and talk to you with your lawyer, or without if you choose. Either way, at some point your are going to need a lawyer, when the other guys family sues you in civil court.
    Thank god in Fla they can't sue you if your use of force is justified...

A friend had this almost exact situation happen to him. He put the gun on the seat of his car, walked 10 paces away, and waited for the LEO to arrive. I wouldn't re-holster the weapon, since re-pulling to give it to the LEO might make them a bit jumpy. Other then that, a very basic statement, and wait for a lawyer. You don't want a witch-hunting DA to try to twist your words later.
    Last edited by My73LT; August 24th, 2006 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Clarification..

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by My73LT View Post
    A friend had this almost exact situation happen to him. He put the gun on the seat of his car, walked 10 paces away, and waited for the LEO to arrive. I wouldn't re-holster the weapon, since re-pulling to give it to the LEO might make them a bit jumpy. Other then that, a very basic statement, and wait for a lawyer. You don't want a witch-hunting DA to try to twist your words later.
    I'm not sanguine on putting the gun down and walking away from it.

The BG is down, but simply moving from a standing position to a lying position can give the cardiovascular system the boost it needs to rally, and if he has a firearm, he can kill you from a lying position without a whole lot of difficulty.

I'm more in the re-holster and let the arriving LEO issue commands on arrival camp.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I'd ask the attacker if he was a good kid, if he would ever mean to hurt anyone and if he was just trying to turn his life around. If so, I'd just shoot him in the leg or shoot the gun out of his hand.

No reason to KILL him.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    I'm not sanguine on putting the gun down and walking away from it.

The BG is down, but simply moving from a standing position to a lying position can give the cardiovascular system the boost it needs to rally, and if he has a firearm, he can kill you from a lying position without a whole lot of difficulty.

I'm more in the re-holster and let the arriving LEO issue commands on arrival camp.

Matt
    Good point. I was assuming he was no longer among the living. If he was alive, I'd also make sure he wasn't still holding his own weapon, or continue shooting until he wasn't.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links