Why does everyone worry about "printing" so much?

This is a discussion on Why does everyone worry about "printing" so much? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It doesnt seem like a big deal to me. These days people carry big ole cell phones on their hip, so unless its OBVIOUSLY a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Why does everyone worry about "printing" so much?

It doesnt seem like a big deal to me. These days people carry big ole cell phones on their hip, so unless its OBVIOUSLY a gun does it matter?
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 5th, 2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: removed text "speech" from title

If you print, you can have a 'concerned citizen' calling 911 (and possibly saying you brandished), you can have a LEO demanding your 'papers'. So be prepared for that and have your recorder running.

So long as you are the only one who knows you have a gun, that's the idea. Otherwise, carry it open. And open vs. concealed is a can of worms I won't open.

I don't because there are plenty of concealed carry guns and holsters out there so printing isn't an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by mspan90 View Post
    It doesnt seem like a big deal to me. These days people carry big ole cell phones on their hip, so unless its OBVIOUSLY a gun does it matter?
    Well, in Mississippi open carry is illegal. So, if your cover garment pulls up or out of the way, you could have to deal with the hassle of explaining that to a LEO. A friend of mine who lives here had his button up shirt get tucked over and behind his 1911 and he was approached by a state trooper at a gas station. The trooper was polite, but reminded him that open carry is illegal in MS and to keep it covered.

Since open carry is legal in Ohio, I don't "worry" about printing too much. Most people wouldn't realize it was a gun anyway if you "print" a little bit. However, I do carry concealed, primarily to retain a tactical advantage (I prefer to be the "grey man") and also to avoid the MWAG call from the observant anti-gun fanatic who might see it!

I've carried long enough that I just check to ensure my shirt or jacket didn't ride up and get snagged while getting out of my truck or getting up from being seated, then I forget about it. I don't constantly fiddle with my clothing or pat my gun or tug at my belt! And I carry a full size 5" 1911. And I don't "worry" about printing. A good belt and holster combination can allow you to do that.
    82d DIVARTY likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Very limited OC in FL but CC requires only concealed from "ordinary view." There is nothing stated or implied in state statutes in regards to printing. Recent statute change says inadvertant (unthreatening) exposure of licensed CC is not a violation of "improper exhibition."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have found as long as there is a garment of some kind, even if you can read the serial number through it, it just doesn't register with sheeple...
    Bark'n, Rugergirl and DaveH like this.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

VIP Member
    Printing issues are going to depend on 2 things. One is state law, the other is personal preference.

In some states even unintentional display of a gun is illegal and can get you in trouble. While printing and unintentional display are technically not the same, they run very close together. An example would be carrying a black gun under a lightweight white t-shirt. While the gun is not in view, it can definitely be determined what you are carrying in your waist band.

The personal preference is another matter. Some people are overly concerned if someone recognizes they are carrying a gun.

As long as your following the law, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Last edited by archer51; February 6th, 2012 at 06:19 AM.
    Outer_Heaven and DaveH like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RonCo View Post
    Well, in Mississippi open carry is illegal. So, if your cover garment pulls up or out of the way, you could have to deal with the hassle of explaining that to a LEO. A friend of mine who lives here had his button up shirt get tucked over and behind his 1911 and he was approached by a state trooper at a gas station. The trooper was polite, but reminded him that open carry is illegal in MS and to keep it covered.
    He was approached because he was open carrying, not because he was printing.
    Erick46590 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    GA is open or concealed, so legality is not an issue. I just don't want people to know I am carrying. I don't want to draw attention to myself. That's the only reason.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mspan90 View Post
    Because they have nothing better to worry about.
    Eagleks, mr.stuart and Erick46590 like this.

The requirements in FL have already been mentioned. That said, I do not worry about a bump once in a while, but no one is going to figure out I have a firearm.
    Just do the best you can to remain concealed...not many people will even notice.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In the OC vs CC debate, this is where an OC state is a plus for both sides. It makes absolutely no difference in NC, mainly because we are an OC state. If you have a personal preference to not print, thats fine, I could care less why. But when the gov. has say over what is and is not printing, it's a problem for all of us. I carry OC and CC, but when I CC I'm a bit more careful but don't really worry about printing, shirts blowing open, shirts riding up, or people calling the cops for it. They have never been called while I was OC'ing, so I doubt printing would be an issue either. When it does happen, I just cover back up and go on like nothing happened. No wide eyed looking around, breaking out in cold sweats, or making a story of it on the net. Because I am not breaking the law.
    DaveH likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Pennsylvania and WV are open carry states, so I don't worry about it. Even then, nobody pays attention to anything that isn't their phone.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links