Carry adjustment in the field

This is a discussion on Carry adjustment in the field within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Forwarded for your consideration. I'm downtown doing some business yesterday, and carrying the LC9 in a High Noon Split Decision IWB at 2 o'clock. Wearing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Carry adjustment in the field

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar

Carry adjustment in the field

Forwarded for your consideration.

I'm downtown doing some business yesterday, and carrying the LC9 in a High Noon Split Decision IWB at 2 o'clock. Wearing a light sport coat over it, it seemed OK at the time.

As I was nearing my destination, I noticed that this really wasn't going to work, as anytime the jacket swung open, I was going to potentially be displaying it. Might have been OK, but it was making me nervous.

So once I was in the building, I stopped in the restroom and made a switch to 4 o'clock. That solved the problem, but what struck me was how I'm in there, fooling around with my belt and holster, handling the rig, risking dropping it on the floor, rushing a bit in case anyone was going to come in, and the whole thing felt really amateur hour.

Takeaway point: Get yourself set up right before leaving the house, so you don't have to mess around later and risk various sorts of problems.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Takeaway point: Get yourself set up right before leaving the house, so you don't have to mess around later and risk various sorts of problems.
    If you know what your full agenda for the day is that will work. However sometimes the best plans fall through and your forced to adjust to meet the changes. Myself I carry at the 3:30-4:00 position all the time, doesn't matter if I'm carrying IWB or OWB. I've never felt the need to rearrange where my gun is.
    First Sgt likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    If you know what your full agenda for the day is that will work. However sometimes the best plans fall through and your forced to adjust to meet the changes. Myself I carry at the 3:30-4:00 position all the time, doesn't matter if I'm carrying IWB or OWB. I've never felt the need to rearrange where my gun is.
    This. No matter the situation, I know exactly where it is.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Me too, and me neither. 4:00 has always been safe.

VIP Member
    Over time, you work out what works where and for what occasion. Every night, I plan my activities for the next day, think about what I'll wear, and what I'll carry.

I agree that this is something that you don't want to work out on the fly as you go through the day.
    shockwave likes this.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I have readjusted bu carry inside the waist, did the same thing went into the restroom relocated but it felt very weird... I have not bought two good belts that eliminated the problem of readjusting.... you're comment about get ready before your leavs is spot on...
    shockwave likes this.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Go into a stall to adjust...then cant be seen. thats what sounds practical to me atleast IMHO.
    Please...work HARDER as MILLIONS on welfare depending on YOU !!

Readjustment happens. It's life.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I cant argue with your lesson learned result. The older I get, the less of these I seem to get but I do still get them...lol.
    shockwave likes this.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

VIP Member
    I carry a Glock 30 in a belly band all day, every day, and there are times when I have to make an adjustment because it might be digging into my side or my shirt came untucked. I use to worry that everyone was looking at me and then one day I realized that 99.99% of all people just don't care. And they are not looking at me! So now I just tuck in my shirt, or do a quick belt adjustment and make the necessary re-arrangements. Bathrooms are great if you want more time and privacy. Go into a stall, lock the door and make your adjustment.

I even carry at my workout club and while I'm on the treadmill I adjust my sweatpants when needed (I have my shirt untucked and over my gun and waistband. Nobody notices!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by bentcursor View Post
    I carry a Glock 30 in a belly band all day, every day, and there are times when I have to make an adjustment because it might be digging into my side or my shirt came untucked. I use to worry that everyone was looking at me and then one day I realized that 99.99% of all people just don't care. And they are not looking at me! So now I just tuck in my shirt, or do a quick belt adjustment and make the necessary re-arrangements. Bathrooms are great if you want more time and privacy. Go into a stall, lock the door and make your adjustment.

I even carry at my workout club and while I'm on the treadmill I adjust my sweatpants when needed (I have my shirt untucked and over my gun and waistband. Nobody notices!
    I have a Glock 30SF. Would you please share a little about your physique/weight, so that I may get a better idea about whether similar carry would work for me?

Piece of advice from my retired LEO father, carry the same place, the same way, every day. Reflex puts my hand in the exact place everytime. Kinda makes good sense to me. I carry IWB small of the back. When i first started, I always noticed when i sat in the car, sitting in certain chairs, etc. Now I never notice it.
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Quote Originally Posted by Honk View Post
    Piece of advice from my retired LEO father, carry the same place, the same way, every day. Reflex puts my hand in the exact place everytime. Kinda makes good sense to me. I carry IWB small of the back. When i first started, I always noticed when i sat in the car, sitting in certain chairs, etc. Now I never notice it.
    what he said
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    your belt is not thick nor wide enough for that holster keeper. and ensure that the belt does not skip pants loops.

it often makes shopping a bit more of an effort so when i find something, shirt, pants, jack shirt or vest that really works
    i often get 2 or 3 in different colors. but matching the gap in the holster to the belt gets you the best return on your effort.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

A good "Quality Belt" eliminates a large % of problems, as far as tucking in my shirt during the day I do it several times a day regardless if I'm carrying or not. I'm a firm believer of planning your day out in advance and sticking with the same carry position. It's second nature now. The majority of the time I forget it's even on me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links