The pros and cons of concealed carry with a round in the chamber?

This is a discussion on The pros and cons of concealed carry with a round in the chamber? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a concealed carry permit holder, I've always debated with myself, and friends, the pros and cons of carrying my concealed carry pistol with a ...

View Poll Results: Do you carry your concealed carry handgun with a round in the chamber?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, always.

13 92.86%
  • No, never.

1 7.14%
  • Sometimes

0 0%
Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By GunLover69
  • 3 Post By limatunes

Thread: The pros and cons of concealed carry with a round in the chamber?

The pros and cons of concealed carry with a round in the chamber?

As a concealed carry permit holder, I've always debated with myself, and friends, the pros and cons of carrying my concealed carry pistol with a round loaded in the chamber
    (cocked and locked so to speak).

For my first post here, I wanted to get some feedback on this issue.

For me it's an issue of safety vs. practical, real world potential scenarios.

The obvious reason to conceal carry cocked and locked, of course, is preparedness. If the situation should ever arise where you need to defend yourself, you're ready to fire as soon as you've drawn your pistol.

I weighed this option vs. safety and I felt confident that if ever I found myself in a situation in which I needed to draw my weapon, I could cock and lock fast enough to defend myself.

However, I go back and forth on this a lot.

What's your opinion?
    Everyday, amateur gun enthusiast. Active duty, Army.
    Read my gun blog!
    MyGunDiary.com

2. Remove Ads

You can't ever know :
    1. If you are quick enough for any situation.
    2. If you are quick enough for any situation

My guns only fire when somebody presses the trigger. I can not think of one scenario where you have an advantage without one in the chamber. I can think of a tons of scenarios where you would not have time to chamber a round.

To me a concealed carry weapon is useless unless its loaded with one in the chamber. I also prefer not to use a safety. If you have proper training, holster, and always practice the rules of gun safety there is no reason not to. In a SD situation, the last thing I want to be doing is fumbling around racking the slide and disengaging the safety. Those precious seconds could make a big difference in the outcome.

If you have enough warning that something wicked your way comes, you are making the assumption that you can de-holster and rack the slide.

My issues with that are these:

1. Let's say you see a "Youth Gang" coming directly at you with menace in their eyes, perhaps carrying baseball bats at night and clearly not going to play baseball. You draw and rack the slide. They immediately go from being a group of menacing gang members to being a group of 14, 15 16, 17 and 18 year old "Children" whom you just "Menaced" with a gun when their mommies (or even they) fire up the cellphones and call 911. Now you have to try to explain your "assumption" to the police and hope you are not charged with a crime.

2. So you stay holstered and move to the other side of the street. One approaches you and says, "excuse me, sir..." While distracted, another hits you from behind and knocks you down. You are now wrestling with at least two of these misguided youth(s) (uhm...what is the multiple of youth??? Youths...Youts [according to My Cousin Vinny]...) and both of your hands are currently occupied with trying to fend off blows and kicks or hold the other guys off. You are suddenly in a bad way to try to draw and rack a slide.

I have been in plenty of arrest situations where the suspect went from being a smiling, complicit and nice guy to my being in a wild scramble for control, both hands busy either grabbing, punching or defending. This is no time to be thinking about how to chamber a round.

3. Lets say you are in a grocery store that is robbed. The guy/girl is three feet from you with a knife or gun holding it on whoever. You go to draw and rack the slide, but in the adrenaline rush you slip and short stroke the slide or the round jams and doesn't feed (I believe in O'Reilly's Law - He thought Murphy was a frelling optimist!) and you are now facing that person who is aware of your presence (when a moment ago you were just a passive bystander to be ignored) with a weapon in your hand that is a useless piece of metal now. Bad place to be wishing that first round was already chambered and ready to head down range.

Chambered rounds are a danger to no one as long as the carrier is proficient in safe weapons handling. Loaded guns never "just go off." You have to pull the trigger. And if you worry that a bad guy (or child or idiot at home or a friend's house) might grab your weapon and an unchambered round is a safety precaution, you need to back up a step and try to figure how you got sloppy enough to let them grab (or get a hold of) your concealed pistol to begin with. Police carry openly and that is one reason their guns get targeted by criminals willing to fight them and try to grab the weapon. A concealed weapon will be a surprise when drawn (or should be).

But that is just my opinion and there will be others.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

I have many years of various competitive shooting, uspsa/idpa/bullseye/etc, a lot of that is done with a hot gun that is holstered. I can assure you a properly functioning gun in a proper holster is not going to just fire itself, so no safety issue there. where you do have to be little more cautious is during the holstering process to make sure nothing gets in the trigger guard to operate the trigger.

Someone suggested to me, when i started the competition shooting to practice with a snap cap in the chamber to prove to myself the gun wasnt just going to fire.

The largest and best safety on any firearm is you, make sure the firearm is mechanically sound and that you are following the 4 rules of safety and all should be good. As i was told "keep the booger hooker off the bang switch" and the gun will never fire if you dont want it to.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Pro? Obvious. Con? Unless you have no idea what this is all about and are a danger to yourself and others---None.

Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Jeff Cooper always said he carried his 1911 the way John Browning designed it to be carried. Cocked and locked.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Most civilian involved self defense shootings are a lightning fast and furious mad scramble to get your gun out and hopefully kill the SOB before he kills you. Most are at contact distance, out to about 2 - 4 feet away. Most people are at least caught somewhat off guard when all of a sudden a bad guy has pounced on you and is suddenly in your face with a knife or a gun and demanding your money or your life.

In all those cases, which are most of the time... You may very will be attempting to draw your gun while you are fending the bad guy off of you with your non-dominant hand, or even trying to deflect his gun away from your face. Good luck trying to get a round chambered when that scenario plays out and you are at least half way startled and scared half to death.

I have dealt with hundreds of crime victims, some of which didn't survive. That's pretty much how they described it playing out. Of course those victims who were dead, didn't say much.

When I was 18 and attacked by two guys armed with at least one knife in a shopping mall parking lot, that's pretty much how it happened. I had a split second to react, and I did. I had no gun, but the dynamics of how it happened were the same. Had I had a gun, there would have been no way, I would have had the wherewithal to try and chamber a round. In a moment like that, you go for the gun and try to shoot it, period. It either goes bang, or it don't.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I guess what I need to develop is more confidence in carrying with a round in the chamber.

Perhaps it's because I am fairly new to carrying a concealed handgun that I lack that confidence.

I totally agree with the advantage of carrying "cocked and locked" in a real self-defense emergency situation.

Am I just being a little too concerned with the safety issue?

I think taking a concealed carry class from a reputable instructor would boost my confidence.
    JD, limatunes, WHEC724 and 2 others like this.
    Everyday, amateur gun enthusiast. Active duty, Army.
    Read my gun blog!
    MyGunDiary.com

Links