Question on AZ non-resident CHL

This is a discussion on Question on AZ non-resident CHL within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bear with me if this specific question has been dealt with before (I'd be surprised if it hasn't), but I got lost wading through the ...

Thread: Question on AZ non-resident CHL

Question on AZ non-resident CHL

Bear with me if this specific question has been dealt with before (I'd be surprised if it hasn't), but I got lost wading through the hits returned by the forum search function...

I am a former VA resident, where I had a CHL, now expired. I'm currently a TX resident. As you may know, TX in-state licenses are expensive.

Does anyone know whether I can (successfully) apply to AZ for a non-resident CHL, using my VA NRA Hunter Safety Course as proof of training,* despite no longer being a VA resident? And if the application is approved, can I then carry legally in TX?

The purpose is not to circumvent any laws, but to pay $60 vs some $250 or more (training class + app fee + fingerprinting fee).

TIA for your help.

* "An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:
    [. . .]
    Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state."

2. Remove Ads

That was covered here recently.

I moved to Texas and I have a few Permit Questions.

Thanks, JJVP. I've read through that thread twice now and it still doesn't address the main part of my question: whether a TX resident can use a VA hunter safety course for an AZ non-resident permit.

I can call the AZ authorities, just though I'd see if anyone here knew the answer first.

I had to send a copy of my valid SC CWP along with proof of my NRA training in order to get my AZ permit. I don't know that they will issue you one without having a current CWP in your own state.

You answered your own question...

Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state."
    You could alternatively use your expired VA permit if you still have it....

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

Ah, I missed that part. Thanks!

Links