Anyone have problem with seat impressions?

This is a discussion on Anyone have problem with seat impressions? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got a new truck with leather seats and my Glock is leaving impressions in my seat. I have been putting a reading magazine ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Anyone have problem with seat impressions?

I just got a new truck with leather seats and my Glock is leaving impressions in my seat. I have been putting a reading magazine between myself and the seat as a temporary fix. Anyone else experience this? If so what did you do to solve it? Btw I carry IWB at 3:30-4:00
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    the wooden roller mats the curry taxe drivers in NYC use

who cares what it looks like...

or a shorter bbl version of what you have.
    good reason to buy another gun.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Unholstering the pistol and putting it in the center console helps, but the empty holster will still generally leave an impression in both your side and the seat. Any IWB from 3:00 on back is going to be a problem for a right-hander while driving, and any carry from 3:00 forward is almost impossible bend deeply at the waist as needed while driving - especially in a deep bucket seat.

Perhaps a comfortable lower-leg/ankle carry would work and be much easier to holster before leaving the vehicle and unholster upon entering it than any kind of IWB would be. I drive a lot and am in and out of my truck a lot, so I'll use an ankle carry on some occasions and a shoulder holster on most occasions when I'll always be wearing a jacket or coat.

In the hot summer, I prefer my detachable, external belt case (kinda like a Sneaky Pete). My belt has to slide through the wide, permanently closed, leather belt loop with a heavy duty, spring-locking "horseshoe" receptacle riveted to it. Heavy metal stud on the small rectangular holster case easily slides into the belt loop's receptacle and locks in place with the strength that can withstand over 300 lbs. of dislodging force - yet quickly detaches by pressing a hidden spring tab behind the case that's a bit difficult to reach for even the wearer and almost impossible to work by anyone else. Snap-on, snap-off works great for getting in and out of the truck a lot.
    jace33 likes this.

Is what it is...
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

I have leather seats in my car and my weapon does not leave impressions in the seat. I carry at 3 oclock and at times drive for 8 or 9 hours a day for three days and then back after a couple of weeks. I do this about once a year. I carry iwb a Sig P250c or a XD40SC so it is not a small pistol. The reason might be that I am a small man, 5'8". 175lbs.

Question Unrelated: Are you able to draw easily with an IWB at 3:00-4:00 while seated in a vehicle?

At 3:00 I haven't had an issue with it.

However when I carried small of the back, I completely ruined a seat cover in my Jeep. That was a pretty short lived carry method. Uncomfortable in most cases and not very quick to draw, especially in the car.

Is the seat impression coming from the base of the grip or someplace else? If it is coming from the base of the grip, a more forward can't might help.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Depending on what part of the gun is making the impression, a forward cant to your gun may alleviate the problem.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glock30SF View Post
    I just got a new truck with leather seats and my Glock is leaving impressions in my seat. I have been putting a reading magazine between myself and the seat as a temporary fix. Anyone else experience this? If so what did you do to solve it? Btw I carry IWB at 3:30-4:00
    The seat in my F250 has the impression that I have a big arse..........
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm just wondering how many people go around checking vehicle seats for what may or may not be the impression of a firearm. I think I'll ask the gov't for a $1,000,000 grant to conduct a study.
    PatAz, WHEC724, Bark'n and 2 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

same

i have leather bucket seats ... glock puts an impression in it (i wear at 4:00)
    learned to live with it

edit: this is OWB

VIP Member
    I've never tried a seat impression. If I did try one I think I'd try to do an impression of a three legged bar stool.
    Bark'n and Honk like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    Unholstering the pistol and putting it in the center console helps, but the empty holster will still generally leave an impression in both your side and the seat.
    I would also be concerned about wearing an IWB holster for long periods without a gun in it. I would be concerned that the holster would be forced closed and it could flex the leather and ruin the holster retention.
    Personally while I find ankle holsters Ok, I have a hard time getting my leg past the steering column or reaching down to the holster with the steering wheel in my face, I don't really think it's as easy to draw from an ankle holster when seated in a car as some people claim.

Someone suggested a shorter barrel gun, that seems like a possible solution.

Administrator

I don't have leather seats. Vinyl or cloth. I don't really find leather any more comfortable than those made of cloth or vinyl. Never checked to see if my gun is leaving an impression. But I don't think it would bother me if it is.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links