At the doctor's office

At the doctor's office

This is a discussion on At the doctor's office within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at my doctor the other day. He's also a friend, but not someone I've confided in that I carry. I had gone to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: At the doctor's office

At the doctor's office

I was at my doctor the other day. He's also a friend, but not someone I've confided in that I carry. I had gone to the office as part of a study for an allergy drug so I didn't expect to see him, but at the end of my appointment, the person conducting the study said that the doctor would want to examine me. I didn't think anything of it and he started to listen to my chest through his stethoscope. Then he move around behind me and started to lift my shirt so he could listen to my heart through my back. As he lifted my shirt revealing my Glock 30 on my right hip at 4 o'clock, he exclaimed "He's packin'!"

Now we have a great relationship so everything that transpired was in good fun, although I think he was totally shocked that I was carrying. He told the nurse who was in the room that there had been an incident several years before at another doctor's office where a guy had pulled a gun on the doctor and demanded drugs. The police ended up killing the guy. I calmly told my doctor that a) I bet the guy wasn't licensed to carry (to which he agreed); and b) I wasn't planning to draw my weapon or do anything else illegal.

I guess I could have anticipated that I might be examined, but I'm still not sure if I would have disarmed. I'm interested in hearing how others handle visiting the doctor or other situations where our concealed carry status might be compromised (like the tailor at a men's store).
    DaveH, Hopyard and macdsc like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    My doctor would have no problem with it since we both pack, problem is here in North Carolina carry into any medical facility is prohibited.
    DaveH likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    I normally disarm when going to see the doc.

I did forget once during a chiropractic visit (LCP in right rear pocket holster). He was re-aligning vertebrae with me face-down, and his routine doesn't involve touching my butt (something that would surely get a quick reaction from me ), so I decided to roll with it. He never had a clue it was there.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    My doctor would have no problem with it since we both pack, problem is here in North Carolina carry into any medical facility is prohibited.
    I have been told repeatedly, and can't find legislation to contradict it, that the prohibition is on educational not medical facilities. Of course many of them are associated with universities. The prohibitions I am aware of are: restaurants, govt facilities, places where admission is charged, schools, funerals and parades, and posted places.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

I had a similar issue I posted about a few months ago while getting a drug screen at a lab. When I went to see my regular doctor a few weeks ago I took off my gun and holster and folded my jacket around both and laid them in one of the chairs in the exam room. Not sure what my doctor would think had he raised my shirt and seen that.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I have been told repeatedly, and can't find legislation to contradict it, that the prohibition is on educational not medical facilities. Of course many of them are associated with universities. The prohibitions I am aware of are: restaurants, govt facilities, places where admission is charged, schools, funerals and parades, and posted places.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    That may have been repealed in the recent changes. I just looked the list of prohibited places and can no longer find it; our local hospital is still posted though.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Illegal in SC unfortunately

hey is that a gun or are you happy to see me....

To avoid the exact scenario you described, I take it out of the holster and walk into the doctor's office with the gun in a pouch. This way is not on me and I don't freak out any nurse assistant, who may not be used encountering someone with a gun on the belt. I can remain armed while I complete the visit to the doctor.
    Hopyard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    hey is that a gun or are you happy to see me....
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

VIP Member
    Only hospital that is prohibited here in the Richmond area is VCU/MCV and the VA hospital. I do not go to MCV, and while eligible to use the VA hospital have not had to. If going to my doctor, if told to remove my shirt I inform him before doing it that I am armed. If he has a problem with it I'll find another doctor, so far it hasn't been a problem.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I use a pouch a few times a year and the Doc is one of them, although maybe if he knew I was armed he wouldn't put his finger in places it does not belong. He always tells me to relax, "as soon as you remove your finger I will relax."

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I stand ready for criticism. Is there any human activity or human interraction out there that someone has not commented on in this and other forums? We got toilets, we got showers, we got every conceivable business enterprise including doctors and dentists. I'm waiting for the thread that asks where you "put your gun" when you are in bed with a lovely lady. Still waiting for the gun placement during surgery. The list goes on and gets longer everyday. Amazing. I understand "what ifs" but is there no limit? I guess the answer is an overwhelming no. Hey-to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I stand ready for criticism. Is there any human activity or human interraction out there that someone has not commented on in this and other forums? We got toilets, we got showers, we got every conceivable business enterprise including doctors and dentists. I'm waiting for the thread that asks where you "put your gun" when you are in bed with a lovely lady. Still waiting for the gun placement during surgery. The list goes on and gets longer everyday. Amazing. I understand "what ifs" but is there no limit? I guess the answer is an overwhelming no. Hey-to each his own.
    This forum for me is about 5% education and 95% entertainment, so I don't get too upset about crazy or repeated topics.

But in response to this topic, I think packing is the right answer. Might make the ol' Doc think twice about where he chooses to put his finger! And just to cut off any comments, no, I'm not an M.D.

Doc

VIP Member
    I was running late for a cardiologist appointment one time, so I just took my gun out and locked it in the truck. When he pulled back the shirt and saw the holster, I thought he was going to wet his pants. Had I had the gun still on my, who knows, he may have needed one of his mates to defribulate him.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links