Hawaiian vacation knife carry

This is a discussion on Hawaiian vacation knife carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm heading out to Hawaii in a few weeks. I'm licensed to carry concealed in my home state, but I know that I cannot carry ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kwoodford

Thread: Hawaiian vacation knife carry

I'm heading out to Hawaii in a few weeks. I'm licensed to carry concealed in my home state, but I know that I cannot carry in Hawaii. No point in even transporting a gun there, so I won't bother.

I DO regularly carry a couple of folders, though, and I looked through the reciprocity pages and the knife link to see if I would be OK to tote a knife. It looks like I can, but I want to be sure. Is anyone from the islands here on the site? Do you know a reference that will definitively tell me if I can carry a 3-4 inch folder with me, as a tourist?

I'll take a cane, cause I can do that, but a good knife would be a comfort. Any help would be appreciated!
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

I went to Hawaii in 2008 and at that time I was an active (not retired) Deputy Sheriff and could have brought a concealed carry firearm but I left it at home. But I have a folding Gerber knife my Wife bought for me in 1995 and took that and another one in my Wife's luggage. Of course not as a carry on but I don;t believe you have to declare a knfe in your checked luggage.

But what is funny as I always carry my badge and one idiotic TSA had to call a supervisor to see if I could have it on my person.
    Brademan likes this.

might i suggest a "dive knife" ...

that;s what i had on my cruise to the eastern caribean. bought a cheap 20 dollar one on ebay specifically for self defense on the islands, i dont dive.

you cant have the knife on the boat the CSO keeps it. so I checked it in and out at the metal detectors they have when you get on and off the ship. my ship ID had an alert on it, so when i swiped it to get off the boat it alerted them, and they asked if i wanted my knife, i always said yes. then when i got back on the boat i surrendered the knife.

i know your question isnt ship related , but dive knifes are common on the beach :)

Links