ccw class

ccw class

This is a discussion on ccw class within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; im stoked.this saturday taking my class.what to expect?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: ccw class

ccw class

im stoked.this saturday taking my class.what to expect?

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Saftey, enjoy

The shooting part is the most fun, learn and do your own research as well because it is hard to digest that information in one sitting. Congrats and welcome to the forum.

When you first start to carry it feels nervous, at least it did for me, but you soon get over it. Just don't change where you go or what you do just because you now have a handgun in your pants.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Congratulations

A whole new attitude adjustment if your gonna be successfull. Good luck and don't let carriyng go to your head. Some people have and now they have a number for name.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Expect to learn only what you need to know to pass the class. So many new permit holders fail to continue the learning process. There are many states in which intermediate and advanced courses are taught. Plan now on going to something like that in the near future. If the day comes when you are forced to defend yourself or others you'll be glad you did.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kimberpackn; February 9th, 2012 at 01:08 PM.
    JD likes this.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

Expect to learn the laws as they pertain to Oklahoma. My course, when I took it was taught by a CLEET instructor, who was also a prison guard at Granite. Your taking it at a good time of the year, my shooting portion was done outside in the middle of summer. SW OK summers can be brutal, especially when your shooting in the sun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Safety & imperative info for great responsibility!!!!
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

My personal experience:
    Sitting thru 8 hours of classroom was boring.
    But I was at a disadvantage because I was a very experienced shooter going in. I mean, how many times can you talk about a "hammer" vs. a "striker" or "magazine" vs. "clip" or whatever?
    I realize they have to educate the newbies about the parts of a gun, how they work, etc. But I would have liked more time spent on the legal aspects of carrying a gun; i.e., when to shoot, when to back away, etc.
    Anyway, it was not exactly enlightening but necessary, I suppose.
    The shooting part was more fun, aside from the fact we shot outside in a mini-blizzard. It was hard to keep from shaking. I shot my G19 and did very, very well.
    Others were not so lucky. One guy with an old Rossi .38 revolver couldn't hit the target, not aided by the fact the gun was a POS that constantly failed to index properly. I felt sorry for him. He passed anyway.

I come at this not as a know-it-all, just an experienced guy who's been around firearms for the past 30 years, reloads and shoots regularly.
    Don't be embarrassed if you're not great. It's not a competition. It's a test ... but if it's like the one in Ohio, very easy to pass.
    Pay attention. Learn about your firearm ... everything you can: how it works, how to clear jams, how to master trigger control, and so on.
    The best advice I've ever gotten was years ago:
    "Front sight. Press. Front sight. Press."
    Concentrate on the front sight. And press the trigger, don't "pull" it or jerk it.

The first time I ever carried after receiving my CCW, I went into a place where a buddy of mine already had his license and I knew he was carrying, as he always did.
    "Am I printing?" I asked.
    He laughed. "Nope. I would never know you're carrying."
    But, man, there were times - like in the grocery store - where I figured I might as well be totally naked with a big sign saying, "Hi! I'm carrying a gun!"
    I'm used to it now and carry regularly and to my knowledge, nobody has ever "made" me as a guy who's carrying a Glock 36 under his sweater or inside his cargo shorts. A good IWB holster is a must (my personal preference is the Crossbreed Supertuck) or a decent high-ride belt slide (Don Hume, in my case). And, of course, adjust your wardrobe to reflect your new responsibilities and remember ... it's not called 'concealed carry' for nothing.
    Last but not least, read all you can about defense shootings: what to do, when to do it, when NOT to, when to fight, when to run, your responsibilities, best guns, best ammo, and on and on and on. It'll keep you busy for decades.
    .45acpguy likes this.

Welcome. I am glad you are taking this first step towards your saftey. Here in Missouri the process was easy and relaxed the whole way through. The instructors were cool and helpful.

The shooting test was easy. Seven yards is nothing. Follow every instruction to the letter. Nobody failed in my class but i noticed that no one else would raise their hands and take a step back showing their gun was down and unloaded every time someone entered the range room. I did this like clock work over and over again making sure i was using deliberate proper loading and unloading. The instructor spent more time with other folks and my test results were a no brainer for the instructor.

The County Sherif Dept experience was relaxed, no pressure, proffesional, and courteous. I am orig from California so i expected to have to state exactly why i wanted to carry etc etc..I didnt get a single question about why i may want to carry. The finger printing was easy too. I watch too much TV and old movies i still expected the old ink pad and roller for the fingerprints..haha..nope all on a computer.easy as can be.. Real nice lady handled the whole thing took about 15minutes. She called me exactly a week later to say come down and pick up the endorsment to take over to the DMV. Which i did right away..haha...One week from completing the test and filing with the county i had my CCW. Pretty painless. Now keep learning and take as many extra courses as possible and practice alot..Keep your wits.. Let us know when you have your endorsement/license in hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Lockback View Post
    My personal experience:
    Sitting thru 8 hours of classroom was boring.
    But I was at a disadvantage because I was a very experienced shooter going in. I mean, how many times can you talk about a "hammer" vs. a "striker" or "magazine" vs. "clip" or whatever?
    I realize they have to educate the newbies about the parts of a gun, how they work, etc. But I would have liked more time spent on the legal aspects of carrying a gun; i.e., when to shoot, when to back away, etc.
    Anyway, it was not exactly enlightening but necessary, I suppose.
    The shooting part was more fun, aside from the fact we shot outside in a mini-blizzard. It was hard to keep from shaking. I shot my G19 and did very, very well.
    Others were not so lucky. One guy with an old Rossi .38 revolver couldn't hit the target, not aided by the fact the gun was a POS that constantly failed to index properly. I felt sorry for him. He passed anyway.

I come at this not as a know-it-all, just an experienced guy who's been around firearms for the past 30 years, reloads and shoots regularly.
    Don't be embarrassed if you're not great. It's not a competition. It's a test ... but if it's like the one in Ohio, very easy to pass.
    Pay attention. Learn about your firearm ... everything you can: how it works, how to clear jams, how to master trigger control, and so on.
    The best advice I've ever gotten was years ago:
    "Front sight. Press. Front sight. Press."
    Concentrate on the front sight. And press the trigger, don't "pull" it or jerk it.

The first time I ever carried after receiving my CCW, I went into a place where a buddy of mine already had his license and I knew he was carrying, as he always did.
    "Am I printing?" I asked.
    He laughed. "Nope. I would never know you're carrying."
    But, man, there were times - like in the grocery store - where I figured I might as well be totally naked with a big sign saying, "Hi! I'm carrying a gun!"
    I'm used to it now and carry regularly and to my knowledge, nobody has ever "made" me as a guy who's carrying a Glock 36 under his sweater or inside his cargo shorts. A good IWB holster is a must (my personal preference is the Crossbreed Supertuck) or a decent high-ride belt slide (Don Hume, in my case). And, of course, adjust your wardrobe to reflect your new responsibilities and remember ... it's not called 'concealed carry' for nothing.
    Last but not least, read all you can about defense shootings: what to do, when to do it, when NOT to, when to fight, when to run, your responsibilities, best guns, best ammo, and on and on and on. It'll keep you busy for decades.
    thanks for the info.i am an experienced shooter shot all my life.8years army.

Quote Originally Posted by meassisadrag View Post
    im stoked.this saturday taking my class.what to expect?
    Welcome........ Make the most of your Saturday class. Learn all you can..... Best of luck.......

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Here in Colorado, my class was supposed to be 3 hours long but it stretched out to closer to 4 hours due to the unexpectedly higher number of people attending the class. Getting everyone over to the shooting range, following the class portion, took time as well as waiting for an open lane for each member of the class.

Don't stress about the class. It is something to pay close attention to, and do your best at the shooting range. In summary, it is a necessary rite of passage to get you your CCW document which will then enable you to lawfully carry concealed.

Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully you will get simple to understand information concerning where you can and cannot carry, what happens if someone realizes you are carrying, how to avoid people realizing. More importantly they should explain when you are justified to draw or use your weapon to defend yourself or others. These are the critical things. Along with these they should explain gun safety. How to properly handly a gun, how to check and unload a gun.
    These are the most important. Hopefully the instructor will go over how to avoid conflicts, self awarness to avoid getting into bad situations, alternative means of defending yourself, less than lethal options.
    Lastly hopefully they will teach you proper shooting techniques and different carry methods, their strengths and weaknesses.

Good luck and make sure to keep checking back here. There is a lot of good informatiion here.

I must've been the lucky guy... When we'd completed the in-class portion, I was presented with a free SS Springfield .40cal!!! Actually one of the instructor's helper's collected all of their guns, the guy passed over the one that was left in front of me (it was sitting with my other guns I'd brought) and assuming they had them all, they were packing it up for the night. To say the least, they were shocked when I asked them if they wanted this one back!? Lol..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links