carry around anti gun family - Page 3

carry around anti gun family

This is a discussion on carry around anti gun family within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got "made" at a family gathering once. Got hip checked pretty good passing in a small space. The family member said. What was that, ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: carry around anti gun family

I got "made" at a family gathering once. Got hip checked pretty good passing in a small space. The family member said. What was that, a gun? I said no, don't be silly. That was a holster. :)
    archie72490 and LaraCroft10 like this.

My family is a mix of both antis and pro 2a people. The antis (parents included) reffer to the family who choose to carry as; extremist gun nuts. My mother is probably the worst! Years ago I mentioned to her that I was considering obtaining my concealed carry permit, her first response was "not in my house!!" I find her response the oddest as her father was an avid shooter, collected guns and even had a reloader too. Fast forward to last year when my grandfather passed away, my mom stayed with him till the end of his time. A few months later I had asked my mother what ever became of old grand dads firearm collection? She said that his new wife and her sons had offered her the collection after the funeral. She told me that she had told the sons to go sell them at the pawn store for spending money..!! When I asked her why she didn't pass them down to me for a family hairloom, she said that she didn't want my kids to play with them and get hurt or killed!!??

I was in shock.. I told her that I already had handguns (she knew) and they would be stored un-loaded and locked away. Her response to that was "what's the point of having a gun if its not loaded and ready to be used.." I think that there was an underlying reason, but I just let it go.. Sad to see a collection dissolve for spending cash.

His mother is not crazy, she is a pacifist. It is a philosophy held by many rational people. Suggesting there is something wrong with her shows the intollerance she is being accused of. She has a right to the rules in her home. I am staunch 2A, but I am also staunchly committed to honoring my parents and applying tact and wisdom in my dealings with my family. I think you could have dissarmed while your sister went inside and then joined them briefly. She would never have known and as such would have avoided the scene. We often create the drama that we blame on others. No one needs to lose face here and not carrying briefly is not a deal breaker.
    RMS, jace33 and finst3r like this.

VIP Member
    My brother is the only anti that I am aware of in my family. Of course he is also an elitist retired LEO. It's fine for HIM to have and carry, but the average peon doesn't need a gun. Since he lives in Illinois I don't have to worry about carrying in his home. I refuse to go to Illinois.

As to your sister, don't worry about her opinion. When she becomes an adult her opinion might hold some weight. But as a minor, who is doing nothing but echo what she hears from her mom, her opinion carry's about as much weight as the man in the moon.
    varob and Outer_Heaven like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Folks know how I feel on this. CANT does not apply when you are told no guns in the house. Do people have no respect for others wishes. Man up and just say I wont' go to your house because (choose one)
    1. I am really here to protect you. If something were to happen I could not live with my self knowing I could have prevented it
    2. In that 1 or 2 hours of time I just can not be away from my weapon. Becasue we all know that is the time the BG will come in.

I was taught to respect the wishes of others and it is a choice to go to a place that does not want you there with your weapon
    jace33 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Folks know how I feel on this. CANT does not apply when you are told no guns in the house. Do people have no respect for others wishes. Man up and just say I wont' go to your house because (choose one)
    1. I am really here to protect you. If something were to happen I could not live with my self knowing I could have prevented it
    2. In that 1 or 2 hours of time I just can not be away from my weapon. Becasue we all know that is the time the BG will come in.

I was taught to respect the wishes of others and it is a choice to go to a place that does not want you there with your weapon
    The older and more experienced I become, the more difficult I find it to dwell within the fears and discomforts of others. My carry set-up is such that there are no accidental exposures, bump-frisks don't happen, and there are no prints or mid-carry adjustments to be concerned with. Having said that, if anyone specifically tells me they do not allow firearms in their home or business I simply do not go in.
    suntzu and sgb like this.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    To the OP: It sounds like you are respecting your parent's wishes--this is a good thing. Your kid sister--well--she's a kid--next time, offer to let her drive your car (your car--your rules)--if she flies off the handle at you for carrying in YOUR car, you have an opportunity to help her learn a life lesson about MUTUAL respect--its a two-way street, unless she just wants to be a disrespectful loud-mouthed punk. But then you have the opportunity to help her understand that if she wants to be treated like an adult--it takes acting like one--with mutual respect.

About your parents---make sure to take plenty of time to see them before you move---life is uncertain---I am the only member of my original family left alive--and I am NOT old--once they are gone--there's no more conversations or laughing together around the dinner table. TAke plenty of time with them NOW while you can.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

archie72490,

Not being aware of your personal situation (married/kids) just remember that the mistakes and errant traditions of the past generations stop with you.

Resolve now to educate your children and future family on not only firearms, but all the principles that founded our country that are now slowly diminishing.

Sorry to hear that this is an issue in your family, this is one subject I've never had to deal with in any of my wife's or my family.

That's not to say that other issues haven't presented themselves as a problem, but that's every family!

To all the posters on this thread and others who advise to carry at all times regaurdless of someones house rules, think of it this way... what's the worst that could happen if you were discovered?

The worst.... you could be seen as a threat and be shot.

Just a few thoughts, hope it all works out for you.
    Last edited by kerberos; February 10th, 2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: typo
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

The same way I handle carrying around everyone else: I don't tell anyone. At all. Ever. Period. Among other things, this is a good way of not inspiring anyone to formulate or announce "house rules" in the first place.

However, if someone were to tell me that they don't permit firearms in their house, I would comply—but honestly, I can't imagine this ever coming up in these terms. For example, even if I were "caught," if the person seemed bothered, I would not engage them in a conversation about concealed carry. I would say, "Oh, yeah, I was out in the woods earlier and never got a chance to put it back in the safe. Maybe I'll go do that now." Once again, the goal would be to avoid inspiring them to formulate and announce a "policy."

Just posted a link to an excellent article by a psychiatrist on debating/educating the anti-gun crowd.
    It's in the "educate yourselves and the masses" thread.
    Good luck.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    My family grew up around guns and never had a problem with them. My mom did not like the fact I carried and my sisters said I was just paranoid and over reacting. Well I continued to carry (they never said I couldn't in their homes) now one sister has her CCW permit and my other just called and wants to go shooting and check out some handguns because she now doesn't think her husbands one shotgun is enough. .

My mother still does not care for guns and I keep telling her its just because she hasn't handled one enough. She getting over the fact that they dont magically go off unless you make it. When I take my sister shooting I'm bringing my mom and letting her shoot a ruger .22 just to get more confident. I gained no ground with her alone but when both my sisters decided they wanted handguns and the stories they tell my mom its not just me.

My suggestion would be to start winning over either your dad or sister. Take them to the range if they would go and let them enjoy shooting and being in the presence of firearms. If you get one won over its easier to get another and even easier from there.
    kerberos likes this.

I have family thats not a fan of guns, my solution to that is concealed carry. I carry concealed and the only ones that know is the ones I want to know. Just like being in public when someone is carrying concealed in public they are around many different people with different views on guns, if that person is carrying concealed the public will never know and life goes on as usual.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a pocket carry gun for someone with big hands, so that I can avoid further issues. most subcompacts are too small for me to feel comfortable with.

they do not know when I carry I do not tell them.

Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    This probably isn't what you're looking for...but I just don't tell anyone. Problem solved.
    This really is the answer. I regret even telling my family members that I was getting my permit. I conceal pretty well and if I do not tell people I am carrying, they do not know. Out of sight, out of mind.
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links