carry around anti gun family

This is a discussion on carry around anti gun family within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do any of yall have anti gun family, and how do you deal with carrying around them? Tonight I was at my parents house for ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: carry around anti gun family

carry around anti gun family

Do any of yall have anti gun family, and how do you deal with carrying around them? Tonight I was at my parents house for supper with my dad and sister. My parents understand that I carry when legal and not at their house. My dad doesn't really care either way about guns, but my mom and sister are very anti-gun. I left my gun locked up in my car due to my agreement with my parents and their no guns in their house rule. After supper my sister (15yrs old and learning to drive) wanted to go somewhere, and drive to show off her new skills. I moved my car out to the street and out of the way of their cars and naturally re-holstered since we were going out. when we got back my sister wanted me to come in but I said I couldn't. (she knew I wasn't busy tonight and figured out right away that I was carrying) well that set her off and she got incredibly angry that I carried when she was around. Do any of you have similar situations, or how would you deal with a situation where family doesn't want you carrying around them when you are out somewhere?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I respect the rules in their house.

I expect them to respect the rules in my house.
    10thmtn, PEF, afojc and 7 others like this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

well that is an interesting situation... we (ccw holders) carry, for the purpose of protecting the very people that sometimes have issues with the fact that we are carrying...

I too have family that is anti-handgun, they know I have a permit and know that I carry most everywhere... I do not know if they suspect that I carry around them, I will continue to carry in their company until I am told not to... If that day does every come I will explain to them I'm carrying to protect them/me and hopefully they understand.. I will disarm before entering someones home, but only if I am told to do so...

I WILL NOT, negotiate carrying when out in public... It is one thing for someone to say "don't carry in my house" as in your parents situation with you, it is however, quite another to be told you can't carry in public, or simply in the presence of someone. To be perfectly honest, if you are not in the person's home, it is none of their business whether or not you are carrying...

I know this does not help, and I too am interested in hearing the responses... I am not good with words, obviously...

This probably isn't what you're looking for...but I just don't tell anyone. Problem solved.

No one in my family knows I carry. My Dad kinda knows as I talked about it in a short conversation a few months before I got my permit but it's never been mentioned since. Everyone knows me as the "gun guy" of the family but no one is vocally against guns (that I've heard yet). My Mom isn't a big fan but she isn't "anti" either.

As long as they don't have a metal detector they don't know you carry.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archie72490 View Post
    Do any of yall have anti gun family, and how do you deal with carrying around them?
    After supper my sister (15yrs old and learning to drive) wanted to go somewhere, and drive to show off her new skills. I moved my car out to the street and out of the way of their cars and naturally re-holstered since we were going out. when we got back my sister wanted me to come in but I said I couldn't. (she knew I wasn't busy tonight and figured out right away that I was carrying) well that set her off and she got incredibly angry that I carried when she was around.
    She's a CHILD - YOU are an ADULT - If she was treated like the child she IS she wouldn't backtalk to ADULTS.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member
    My wife is the only family member who knows I carry.
    l1a1 and MattInFla like this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    She's a CHILD - YOU are an ADULT - If she was treated like the child she IS she wouldn't backtalk to ADULTS.
    funny cause its true

funny cause to have to verbalize it indicates how much authority the 'children' have usurped from their 'adults'
    First Sgt and Ksgunner like this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Fortunately not anti gun, just most don't understand why anybody would want to carry.

First I respect others home. That said next question I need to ask myself is do I need to be there if they feel that way.
    Same goes for business that post no carry I have to make a choice. Most of the time I chose to carry if that means not going some where that is the price I pay.

I would deal with it slightly different. I wouldn't go to their house, make your own dinner. I certainly would not allow a 15 year old to mouth off to me about something she knows nothing about. Sounds like Dad needs to take some control in his own home.
    blitzburgh and JDE101 like this.

I sympathize for you.

I have a few anti-gun friends who know I CC, but I choose not to visit their houses. If I want to see them I'll invite them over.

When I visited my sister I had no choice but to leave the guns as she lives in Soviet Maryland, my dad who lives in Texas will not allow me to carry a LOADED gun around the house because he believes that there are "Elements of a break-in" which would give any person a reasonable amount of time to rack the slide and load a round. So I carry with a full magazine in the gun and just remember to put one in the chamber before I leave the house. It is a compromise we reached.

In your situation I'd carry and never tell.. After all it's for their safety as well as yours.

I originally did not tell them but my shirt rising up when getting out of my car one time ended that, and I personally treat her like a child, but everyone else gives in to he. I just used tonights example because it was the easiest to remember out of the few times gun issues have come up. Another example is, when they first found out my mom told me she "would rather get shot and killed than carry a gun." I will not let them tell me I can't carry outside their house when they are around. I was just wondering if anyone had any similar circumstances, and how you dealt with them so that it didn't cause tension whenever you were with family.
    wingryder likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by archie72490 View Post
    Another example is, when they first found out my mom told me she "would rather get shot and killed than carry a gun."
    Ever thought of admitting your mother to an insane-asylum? Human beings are supposed to have the will to survive.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links